Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Wednesday Medley: This, That, & Christmas!

I have decided to follow the lead of some of my fellow blog pals and take part in this week's Wednesday Medley!



1. National Ding-a-Ling Day is observed across the United States each year on December 12. Ding-a-Lings on this day call the people they haven’t heard from in a while. It may be an old classmate, co-worker or neighbor from years ago. Or perhaps a call will go out to the child who used to mow the grass during the summer. How about that couple who carpooled for soccer. There are all sorts of people in our lives who manage to slip out of our lives who would love to hear the ding-a-ling of a call from you or me. So tell us who you want to call today!  

Well, I have certainly never heard of this before! LOL! I don't like talking on the phone, so I'm probably not one to take part in Ding-a-Ling day. There are people I sometimes think of from my past that I wonder about, though. What happened to them? How did their lives turn out? The boy I teased in elementary school. The guy I had a crush on in college. People who lived in our community at some point during my life, but then moved away and we lost touch. Facebook has helped with that quite a bit, though. Nobody I'm feeling the urge to call today! haha!

2. Each year on the 12th day of December, people across the United States recognize National Poinsettia Day. I am including this "National Day" too because my neighbor's poinsettia from last year is blooming beside their house!! Have you ever tried to plant a poinsettia outside?

I have never tried planting one  outside, and I have only ever had one once in my life.  The year I was on the Christmas House Tour, the church gifted me with a big beautiful poinsettia that I kept alive for almost a year.  I don't have much of a green thumb, though, so plants don't usually last long around me. lol!

3. Do you believe in Bigfoot? What size shoe do you wear and do you have trouble shoe shopping?

I kind of do believe, yes!  Mythological creatures have always kind of intrigued me - Bigfoot, aliens, the Loch Ness Monster, etc.  I love hearing stories about sightings, and I'm a believer in the fact that there has to be some sort of truth to get a story started.  So yes.  I kind of think they might just be out there!
I wear a size 8-8 1/2, and I don't usually have much trouble shoe shopping, but I don't do it very often.  I tend to wear shoes until they're falling apart.  My only difficulty is that I have a wider foot, and sometimes have to leave behind shoes I really like because they are too narrow and hurt my feet.

4. What is one thing you refuse to share?

JILLY DOESN'T SHARE FOOD!!!
Okay, that's not entirely true. LOL  I'm getting better, especially when it's my nieces and nephews picking off my plate.  And I like to make things to give to other people, especially at Christmas, so in that sense I'm very good at sharing.  I just... like my food, and I'm not a big fan of others touching it when it's on my plate, or in my bowl... ya know?

5. Are you finding that this Christmas is stressful? More or less than last year? 

I was way better prepared and started much earlier than usual, so I'd say I'm not that stressed this year.  I can still get overwhelmed if I think about it too much, but I'm trying to keep myself present in the moment and enjoy rather than get stressed out.  Last year was definitely worse. Not necessarily because of Christmas, but because of some health issues I was having.  It was around this time last year that my heart palpitations started to become a problem and we were trying to get to the bottom of that and the high blood pressure.  I was kind of consumed with worry in that regard.  This year, my medication continues to work beautifully and I feel much better physically, so that feels good.

6. Tell us something random about your week so far!

I came into this week feeling a little disappointed that I had "booked too much" for my weeknights.  I had a hair appointment last night, I signed up for a Pound workout demo class tonight, and I have curling tomorrow night.  But as the week progresses, I'm feeling very chill and OK with it all.   I have lots of free time on Friday evening, and on Sunday as well, and then still another full week before Christmas, so I still have lots of time to get the wrapping and baking and movie watching done.  Still lots of time to "soak up" my favourite time of year!!  Bring it all on, baby! :)

2 comments:

Annsterw said...

Congrats on a stress free Christmas! I also started early and I am so glad I did!! It feels so good to be in front of the eight ball!! Have a great rest of your week Jill!!!

Nicole said...

I've never heard of ding-a-ling day... and to me, that's what I call someone who is being weird... quit being a ding-a-ling... haha.

I get the reference. Jilly doesn't share food. So funny story, a friend of mine posted something on his facebook wall about a month ago that said he's not a cheater, the most he'll do is eat your food. I couldn't resist posting the Joey doesn't share food gif on that comment. :)