Wednesday, December 05, 2018

December: Currently...

Hello December!  Hello my favourite month of the year!!


I have so much Christmassy stuff I want to talk about, but first, a quick post on what's up with me currently, in my favourite month of the year!!

Listening to...  Take a wild guess.  Of COURSE I'm listening to Christmas music!!  All of my old favourites are out: Bieber's Under the Mistletoe, Wayne Rostadt's Christmas in the Valley, Elvis Christmas, Pentatonix, and so on.  One of the items on my Christmas Bucket List was to download a new Christmas album this year, and I haven't yet, but I'm eyeing Gwen Stefani's You Make It Feel Like Christmas.  I just may make a move on it tonight.

Eating... Strangely enough, I'm eating semi healthy right now.  Only because of the Goodfood box I got last week.  I still have two recipes I haven't made yet, but it has introduced some vegetables into my home, and that's a good thing.  I also was proud of myself for not sampling too many of the Christmas cookies I made over the weekend.  Most of them went straight to the freezer.  Woo hoo!

Drinking... The usual - water.  I haven't really got into my "hot drinks" yet which I usually do this time of year.  Maybe I'll make a hot chocolate tonight.  I'm also looking forward to rum & egg nog.  I'm an egg nog fan, but I usually wait and buy it super close to Christmas.

Feeling...  Despite it being my favourite time of year, there has been a lot of sadness in our community lately, and that is definitely weighing on me.  Feeling more blue than I normally would this close to Christmas, but unfortunately, there are things in this world we cannot control, and we can't make them go away. My heart is with those who are hurting, and I am hurting for them.

Reading... Did I say Harry Potter last month?  I think I did.  I thought I'd be done it by now.  It's not that I'm not enjoying it.   There's just been too much going on to really spend quality time with my book.  Any free evening I have is spent working on my crocheting (still one gift to finish), baking, watching Christmas movies and specials, and trying to squeeze in some New Girl since it's leaving Netflix later in December.  By the time my head hits the pillow, it's lights out and fast asleep.  I always struggle to get reading done this time of year.

Watching... As I just said, I've been working through as many Christmas movies and specials as I can!  So far, I've watched Little Women, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, A Christmas Carol (Disney Jim Carrey version), Four Christmases, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, A Nightmare Before Christmas.  Last night I was super stoked to discover A Muppet Family Christmas on YouTube and watched it, as well as an old Max Fleishman cartoon I remember from when I was a kid called "Christmas Comes But Once a Year".  I also watched a bit of the SNL Christmas special.  Still lots to go!! And as I also said, I'm trying to squeeze in a few episodes of New Girl each night too.  The show is leaving Netflix (boooo!!) later in December and I'm on the last season.  So frustrating to have to rush!!

Wanting... SNOW!!!  We got snow early this year, but we had a mild spell last week and most of it melted away with several days of rain.  There isn't a lot in the long-range forecast, and some more mild days predicted too.  It's officially the time of year when I start panicking it might be a green Christmas.  I HATE green Christmases. :(

Needing... My last few Christmas gifts to arrive.  The darn postal strike has added extra stress to the online shopping this year.  And of course, I never learn, I order from Shutterfly every year, and every year have a hassle with delivery.  I have Friday booked off to do my last little odds and ends and stocking stuffers, and once they're done and my parcels arrive (knock on wood), I'll be completely DONE!  I need to have this done so I can truly breathe and enjoy the Christmas season.

Missing... loved ones who aren't here anymore.  As much as it's a joyful time of year, it can be bittersweet as you think of the ones who have passed away.  It's inevitable that we miss them just a little bit more this time of year.

Enjoying... the Lynndonne shenanigans again this year!  Last year, I decided to do silly Elf on the Shelf scenarios with my giant elf, Lynndonne, and while it might seem crazy to put that much work into it - especially when I don't have kids! - I had enough people tell me they hoped he'd be back this year that it made it worthwhile to bring him alive again this Christmas.  We're 5 days in, and it really does bring me joy to post what Lynndonne is up to each morning.  I hope he ( and his new, beer-drinkin' pal Tucker) are making a few people smile each day. :)

Happy December, friends. :)

No comments: