Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Long Weekend? What Long Weekend?

Another festive and fun weekend is in the books, and boy, did it go by in a snap!  It was even a long weekend for me, but it sure didn't feel like it.

I had booked a day off on Friday to finish up my Christmas shopping.  I was so looking forward to this day, because I actually didn't have a ton of shopping left to do.  So it was kind of a relaxed day, helping my mom with some of her shopping, picking up a few little stocking stuffers and odds & ends, and groceries.  Call me crazy, but I just love strolling around the mall this time of year, taking in the sights and sounds of the holiday season, especially when I'm not stressed out and frantically running around trying to buy gifts.  At Carlingwood, there were lots of little ones running around, visiting with Santa and riding the train.  Even though the mall was crazy busy, everyone seemed to be in a great mood.  I also had some of the friendliest cashiers and staff help me throughout the day, which was so pleasant and really makes a hectic, crowded day in stores so much more enjoyable.

We had lunch at the food court before heading back over to the Quebec side, with stops at the dollar store, Walmart, and Bulk Barn, then headed for home mid-afternoon.  We popped in to visit my sister, as she was working from home that day, and when I got home, I assembled all of my gifts and stocking stuffers to assess everything and make sure I hadn't missed anything.  I was happy with what I saw, and officially checked off "FINISH CHRISTMAS SHOPPING" off my list! Woo hoo!!  (* I do still have 2 gifts not yet in my possession... fingers crossed they appear this week!!  I want to wrap this weekend!!)

Friday evening was our Christmas book club meeting, so we gathered at Jenna's to celebrate another great year of reading together, and to discuss the book To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.  I know I've read the book before, but I enjoyed it so much more as an adult, and I really enjoyed the movie as well.  It was a fun evening chatting with the ladies, as always!

Saturday was Santa Claus Parade day in town, so I was up early because I'm a kid at heart and I can't sleep when all this Christmas fun is going on!!  I sipped coffee, watched Fallon, and crocheted for a while before getting up and into gear.  I vacuumed the whole house, washed my bedding, and cleaned the upstairs bathroom before finally getting myself ready.  I had to get my giant elf, Lynndonne, and his buddy Tucker to the Quyon Tractor & Truck Pullers gang who were assembling a float for the parade and requested their presence again this year.  I dropped "the boys" off and then returned home to wait for the parade to start at noon.  My mom, BIL and niece, and a bunch of my friends and their kids, gathered at my place to watch the parade and we had a great time.  It was one of the best parades I've seen in our little town in a long time, with lots of local businesses and groups entering into the fun.  Kudos to all involved, especially to "Santa" who stepped in to fill big shoes this year and did a great job!!


After the parade, we grabbed a bite to eat at the new restaurant that opened in town, and then that afternoon was cookie baking with my mom.  Every year, she dreads having to make our family's favourite cookie:  iced sugar cookies, just like Grandma used to make.  Last year, I helped her and while I realized why they are such a chore, everything went so smoothly that I was excited to make them with her again this year.  Well... things didn't go quite as smoothly this year. LOL  I think I was a bit too tired, and my patience was thin.  They are finicky little things to make. When we were finally done around suppertime, we agreed that next year my sister and brother should have to make them.  Needless to say, we were tired and glad the job was done!!  I went home with the intent of watching Christmas movies, but instead I fell asleep on the couch.  Whoops!!

Sunday morning was our White Gift service at church and choir practice, then we had brunch at the restaurant before heading up to visit my Uncle Garry, who is in the hospital.  He celebrated his 80th birthday yesterday (on the same day as my dad's birthday, he would have been 78), so we wanted to get in some early birthday wishes and a visit with him before his big day.   When I got home, I worked on finishing up my crocheted gifts (weaved in those dreaded ends, a chore I had been avoiding for weeks!), got some stuff done around the house, and watched Home Alone and The Holiday.  I seriously couldn't believe how fast the weekend flew by, in the wink of an eye it was over!!

Yesterday was back to work, but it was an easy day because Sue, Lindsay, and I skipped out for a few hours to join the UCW Christmas potluck at our church.  We enjoyed a delicious lunch, played a few games, and just enjoyed the visit with the ladies from our church. It made for a fun Monday!  After work, I was feeling sluggish from the big meal at lunch time, so I had a quick nap before embarking on laundry and making some more Christmas treats for my freezer:  peanut brittle and bark are now done!

This morning it's snowing and the office is super-quiet. I keep smiling to myself as I think of Christmas, now just two weeks away.  I'm nine work days away from being off for over a week, and I can't wait.  I'm just craving the holiday fun and the downtime during the week afterwards.  I can't wait to watch movies and binge TV shows and read and just lay low!!  I'm daydreaming about a snowstorm, it would be a perfect time for one to hit! ;)

Happy Tuesday, friends!! :)

1 comment:

Annsterw said...

WOW! You got a lot done!! Those cookies are awesome - I love doing whatever it takes to keep those traditions alive!! They are beautiful! Glad you enjoyed the parade! Enjoy your peacefulness and keep smiling! Happy holidays!!