It’s rainy. I have a touch of a cold. All in all? Not the best Wednesday in the history of the world.
Thank goodness it’s “We Want To Know Wednesday”. At least you have something to read here other than my whining.
This week’s questions are all about jobs:
1. What is the worst job you have ever had?
2. Have you ever been fired?
3. What would your dream job be?
4. What did you want to be when you "grew up"?
5. How old were you when you got your first job?
Here are my answers:
1. What is the worst job you have ever had? I’ve had five jobs in my life, including baby-sitting. And I don’t know that I can call any of them terrible. I hated waitressing, but loved the people I worked with. After college, I got a job as an Office Assistant at an accountant’s office, and while I didn’t hate the work, I hated everything else about it. Literally cried every morning because I hated going to the city and feeling all alone there. Plus, my boss was a hard-nosed bitch who tried to cover it up with sweetness and smiles while making me feel like crap. So I’d say that was my worst.
2. Have you ever been fired? No. They’ve always ended on my terms, and the process of “quitting” is not something I enjoy. When I quit my job as a waitress, I called my boss in tears because I didn’t want her to be mad at me. When I quit my job at the accountant’s office, I broke out in hives for a week because I was so worried about telling them. And then I cried.
3. What would your dream job be? Honestly? Stay-at-home Mom and part-time writer. That’s the dream. But I have no babies to stay at home with (nor a wealthy husband to support us), and I think I’ve had writer’s block for five years, other than what I write here on the blog. So I think what I’m doing right now - working in the office at Mountainview Turf - pretty much is the dream job. I enjoy office work (for the most part), I’m five minutes from home, I’m surrounded by beautiful sod fields, in an office with giant windows, and I work for people that I consider friends and we can have a lot of fun here. Truly, not much to complain about!
4. What did you want to be when you "grew up"? When I was in Grade One, we did a class video about “what we wanted to be when we grew up” (because we were the Grads of 2000), and in that I said I wanted to be a doctor. A DOCTOR. What the hell?! Not sure where that came from, because I don’t ever remember thinking, “Yeah, I want to be a doctor, they’re cool.” I used to love playing “office” as a kid – we had an old rotary phone, and I used to sit at the coffee table in my little brown rocking chair with the phone and scribble on papers and staple things. There are pictures to prove it somewhere… And as a teen, I wanted to be a journalist.
5. How old were you when you got your first job? Not including babysitting (I think I started that around age 12), I think I was 14 when I started waitressing at our local restaurant on weekends and summers.
Feel like joining in on the We Want to Know Wednesday fun?? Then go link up!! :)