Wednesday, October 30, 2019

The Eve of Halloween

Happy Eve of Halloween to all!  I guess I could also say Happy Mat Night, but I don't really want any Mat Night shenanigans going on around my place, so... the Eve of All Hallows Eve it is!!

So, I have decided I am no longer going to talk about being sick on the blog.  Because I have been pretty much healthy as a horse all year up until getting a cold last week, and then yesterday I said it was pretty much gone, and last night I seemed to come down with a second round of it.  The scratchiness at the back of my throat came back, and I started sneezing again.  I dosed up on vitamin C and echinacea and put the "immune" essential oil I have on my chest and throat, so hopefully that keeps things down to a dull roar.  Two colds in two weeks does NOT seem fair. argh.

I have come to the realization that I often go through a phase of malaise around this time of year.  Several years ago, I remember just going through weeks of not feeling right.  I don't think I ever was able to pinpoint exactly what was wrong, but I was just unwell.  I had no appetite - I remember that being a glaring red flag, because we had Halloween snacks at work and I didn't even want to eat any - and puffy eyes and just felt off.  Then I think it was the year after that I had a throat so sore it felt like swallowing razor blades, I actually had bleeding tonsils, and went on antibiotics for it.  Then I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics which left me with a rash for weeks.  This year, a cold on top of a cold.  I know.  None of this is serious or even worth complaining about.  I just hate not feeling "right".  blech.

Anyways, moving on from the ills... When I left work yesterday, I had pretty much decided I wasn't going to bother carving my pumpkin. I wasn't in the mood and I had decided it wouldn't matter anyways.  It's supposed to pour rain tomorrow, the Jacks won't even stay lit up.  But then I got home and thought, "What else are you doing tonight?  Carve your damn pumpkin. It's tradition."  So I did.  And the Halloween gods were in my favour, as I discovered I had the most gutless pumpkin I ever met in my life.  I hate scooping out the guts, so this was a nice bonus.  Then I found it was actually quite easy to carve (maybe sitting outside for a month had softened it up a little?) - and it was done in no time.  I managed to salvage a few handfuls of seeds from the little bit of guts I did dig out, so I got my seeds roasted too. Yum!

Then I had to decide what movie to watch.  As I mentioned yesterday, I was feeling the urge to watch Halloween H20 despite originally planning to watch Casper.  Big difference, right?  Despite the internal struggle, I finally did end up going with Casper.  Even though I've seen H20 multiple times before, and I adore Josh Hartnett in that movie, I was just worried it would scare me too much.  I'm already darting glances at every shadow and having to leap up the stairs and into my bed in three giant steps every night.  The spooky season gets me every time, even when I try to make sure it doesn't. I didn't need the extra jump scares of a horror movie last night.

Tonight my plans are to make my pumpkin cheese ball for work tomorrow, get my costume out and ready for tomorrow, and maybe paint my nails.  Busy night. ha!  And I have NO idea what I'm going to watch to prepare for Halloween.  If it was a bad idea to watch a horror movie last night, it makes even less sense tonight.  I'm already going to be nervous that Mat Night pranksters could be looming around, I don't need to amplify that by watching a scary movie.  So... maybe Casper again lol.

I'm already feeling sorry for the little trick-or-treaters.  It is going to be one soggy Halloween.  The rain is to start this afternoon and continue alllll through the day tomorrow and night tomorrow.  Poor little guys, they're gonna be drenched.  But then... then it's going to get cold.  And... dare I say it?  There are actually pictures of snowflakes on my weather forecast for Friday!  eeeep! :) :) :)




1 comment:

Annsterw said...

I love that you are making treats for work!! I also love that you dress up for work!! You are a woman after my heart!