Tuesday, October 15, 2019

The Thanksgiving Weekend Rundown

Here's a point-form re-cap of a mostly really great Thanksgiving weekend!

  • I feel like my weekend pretty much started Thursday after work, when my friends Lolly and Brenda picked me up and we headed to the Skylight Drive-In Theatre in Pembroke.  It was my first time going to a drive-in movie (at least, that I can remember - we may have gone when I was a kid, but I have no recollection).  We went to see It: Chapter Two (we saw the first one in theatres together, we had to go for the sequel!)  And I just LOVED the experience.  The drive-in is kind of on a back road in the middle of nowhere, it was super neat to look up at the big screen and see the stars and trees all around it.  The movie was a little disappointing, but I soaked up the experience on the whole.  There were quite a few cars there, and they had a great snack bar/concession stand as well.  Overall, VERY much enjoyed it!
  • Friday was a work day, but Lindsay and I were playing hooky.  Around 10:45, we split and headed to the Ferry to take us to Kanata.  We went for lunch at The Barley Mow, then to the movie theatre to see Downton Abbey as a little early birthday celebration for Linds.  (Her b-day was the next day).  We hadn't done anything like this in quite some time, and it was very refreshing!  It felt good to get away from the office early for some Friday down-time. Good food, conversation, movie... a perfect day!
  • When I got home late afternoon, I zipped up to Shawville to get groceries, then came home to enjoy a relaxing evening.  BUT I messed that up royally.  I went into the church office to print the bulletins for Sunday, and realized I printed out the wrong Announcements page.  I started up my laptop, which has been acting kind of sick for a while now, and long story short, I ended up fighting with it for 3 hours, charging my Paypal account an unnecessary $50 for a program that didn't even work, and cycling through the "blue screen of death" (it's a real thing, google it) over and over and over.  I could have cried.  I finally restored it back to a point in June so that I could get back into it, but clearly, it needs professional help.  I was so mad that I wasted a perfectly good start of a holiday weekend evening battling with my laptop.  *sigh*
  • I woke up Saturday morning and decided to put my laptop problems behind me.  I lazed a bit with coffee, watching PVR'd shows, then decided to get moving.  I made pumpkin bread, cinnamon spiced roasted nuts, and assembled my cheese & pickle tray for our family dinner, then got myself showered and ready.  Early afternoon, my mom picked me up and we headed to my sister and BIL's, as they were hosting.  It was a truly enjoyable family day.  We sat around snacking and chatting for a long time, then watched some of the Sens game before having dinner.  My sister had everything prepared and ready to roll, so there was no big fuss in the kitchen.  It all went so smoothly!  The meal was fantastic, and then we had cake and gifts for my nephew Caden's birthday (he turned 14 yesterday!!)  Our only disappointment was that it was a rainy, dreary day, so we didn't get the full effect of the gorgeous fall colours on the mountains, and the kids didn't get to play outside.  Otherwise, it was an A+ Thanksgiving!!
  • On Sunday, the church was decorated beautifully for Thanksgiving, and we enjoyed the service.  Right after church, we were off to Hull.  We stopped at Tim Horton's for a quick bite to eat, then on to the rink for Caden's hockey game.  They ended up losing 3-2 to Maniwaki, but at least it was close.  My sister's family was having Thanksgiving with her in-laws that day, so we just took a leisurely drive home, hitting the back roads, looking at the leaves, and making a quick trip in to the hunt camp to check things out (it had been years since my mom had been in).  For supper, we had the leftovers my sister had sent home the day before, and then watched A Quiet Place (scary movie time, remember) before going to bed.
  • Monday was my favourite kind of day - nowhere to go, nothing to do, and it was kind of rainy and overcast, so PERFECT!!  I got laundry and dishes done, sent in my Equity notes, and then I just lounged watching scary movies - by the end of the day, I could check off I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives In the House, The Amityville Horror, and The Sixth Sense, and still with plenty of time to watch Outlander episodes to shake off the scary before bedtime. LOL!  After all the turkey dinner food, it was nice to have a "junk" supper of pizza and jalapeno poppers.  I also had run out of stuffing for my crocheted pumpkins, so I got started on a new baby blanket pattern I'd been wanting to try.  All in all, just a perfect lazy holiday Monday!!
I hope all my Canadian pals had a great Thanksgiving weekend!! :)

No comments: