Wednesday, January 09, 2019

The Holiday Recap

Happy New Year everyone!

Well, here we are, well into 2019... time to get back into the blogging saddle!  Here's how my holidays shaped up:

For me, it felt like the official kick-off to the holidays was Friday December 21st.  We had a little snacky party in the office late that morning and did our little stocking gift exchange, and I was sent home shortly after noon.  I immediately went and collected my mom and we headed off to Shawville for my big pre-Christmas grocery shopping trip.  I do it every year - I pick up all the treats and things that I associate with Christmas, and stock up on the essentials.  I always kind of like to think of it as if there's a big snow storm coming and I won't have to leave my house for two weeks if I don't have to.  Even better this year was that I'd stocked up on PC points throughout the year, so I basically got $120 in groceries for FREE!  Merry Christmas to ME!!   There was supposed to be Christmas caroling in town that night, but it was an awful day weather-wise - it rained, and by evening it was absolutely POURING.  Caroling got cancelled, so Mom and I headed out for supper at our little local restaurant.  It was a fun night to be out, the restaurant was busy and everyone was so cheerful and Christmassy.  It really made up for the lack of caroling.

That Saturday, I had plans to be Elfy.  I made up tins and trays of goodies for family and friends, and went out delivering them.  I had also crocheted some Christmas tree ornaments that I was handing out.  It was a fun way to spend a day so close to Christmas, it made me feel warm and happy!

The 23rd was The Eve Of Christmas Eve at the Duquettes, my cousin's annual Christmas party that I so enjoy and look forward to.  We gathered there for snacks, drinks, and music.  I was the only one with a guitar this year, and I hadn't played in ages so it was a bit of a disaster in that department.  But we were laughing, because my friends' kids were all sitting in front of me belting out Christmas songs, they didn't even care if I was strumming the right chords.  They were the perfect audience haha!  Unfortunately, the evening came to a quick halt for me as I took a giant flip on the little set of stairs going down from the kitchen/dining room into the living room.  I knew the stairs were there, I am always careful on them, I don't know what happened this time.  I wasn't even drunk (though I'm sure everyone thought I was).  I wasn't badly hurt, just my pride.  I quickly packed up and made a speedy departure, I'm sure my face was 50 shades of red from embarrassment!  The real Christmas miracle here:  I had my iPhone in the back pocket of my jeans, and I landed squarely on it when I fell.  Somehow, it did not break.  It didn't even crack.  I have no idea how that happened, but I am extremely grateful for it!


And that brings us to my favourite day of the year... CHRISTMAS EVE!!!  I had taken the day off work, so I spent the day slowly getting ready.  I had my traditional viewing of the old Miracle on 34th Street when I got up while I sipped coffee with Bailey's.  I cooked bacon and made the evening's appetizers and breakfast for the next morning.  I did my nails.  I packed up all my stuff.  By late afternoon, I headed to my Mom's, where we just chilled and chatted until it was time to go to church.  I was a little nervous about Christmas Eve church because I had signed up to be part of the choir (the first time our church has had a choir in over 20 years), and at that point, I was just looking forward to it being over.  As it turns out, it went beautifully, and I was so glad I had participated.  Christmas Eve service is always so magical, and just fills me with so much joy.  Afterwards, we returned home to play games and read T'was The Night Before Christmas before all heading off to bed.

And what do ya know... when we awoke the next morning, the big lad had been there!  I pride myself on being the first one awake, but I think this year Mom and Danica beat me to it.  It was their voices that woke me.  Dan and I sat on the couch admiring the presents until Caden finally got up and joined us.  The rest followed shortly after.  We had our breakfast of sticky buns and bacon bunnies, then we were on to stockings, and eventually, the presents.  It was a leisurely, well-paced morning, with lots of fun and excitement.  We joked that this was "The Year of the Disclaimers".  I think almost every gift came with a disclaimer:  "Well, I'm just going to tell you, you might not like this..."  But in most cases, the disclaimers were unnecessary as everyone seemed very happy with what they got!



I went home early afternoon for a nap and to shower and get ready for the rest of the day. Late afternoon, my mom and I stopped in to visit at my aunt and uncle's.  He had been in the hospital for a month, but got home for a few days at Christmas.  After our visit there, we went to my BIL's parents' house, where we were invited for Christmas Dinner.  It was a wonderful evening, the meal was delicious, and I just enjoyed sitting around chatting and laughing. By the time we returned home, everyone was ready for bed!

Boxing Day is when we have our own little family gathering.  My brother's family arrived in the afternoon, and we opened gifts with them and the kids all had fun playing.  We had another delicious turkey dinner, and just enjoyed the day spent with family.  When bedtime rolled around again, I was sitting with Danica on the couch and I said, "I'm so sad that Christmas is over."  And she replied quietly, "But it isn't.  It's only just beginning."  Girl after my own heart...

I had booked off work until January 3rd, and I made a conscious effort this year not to fill my days off with "plans".  I've done that in the past and ended up not being able to enjoy any downtime.  This year, I had plenty of it.  I played games with the kids, who were at my mom's for the rest of that week.  I watched Netflix. I baked cookies and made soup.  I read.  The only events that took me out of the house or away from my mom's, were a movie date to see Mary Poppins Returns and dinner at Boston Pizza with Caden and Danica and their Grandma Donna, and dinner on the 30th at my aunt & uncle's in Sand Point.  (Another amazing meal... I literally still felt full the next day.)

New Year's Eve also marks my sister's birthday, so we celebrated with a little family party at my mom's.  Kara and Chris brought party hats and horns, we invited Chris' parents to join us, and we played games, watched hockey, had snacks and drinks, and managed to all make it to midnight to ring in 2019!

New Year's Day I headed home around lunch time and spent the rest of the day on the couch, Netflix binging.  On the 2nd, I was clinging on to the last day of holidays for dear life, and soaked up that day as best I could, again with Netflix, and some quality reading time.

I'm always slow to get going in the New Year.  Christmas is my absolute favourite time of year, and so when January 2nd rolls around, it brings with it a little bit of the blues.  I try very hard not to get too bogged down by it.  I think I've been extra successful this year not getting caught up in the post-holiday depression.  Over the next week or so, I hope to share some of my "Resolutions", or goals for the new year, and all of my favourites in books, movies, TV, and music from the past year.

I hope you all had a great Christmas and a safe & happy start to 2019! :)

1 comment:

Annsterw said...

Sounds like you had a really amazing Christmas filled with family and togetherness! Great job on the photo shares and also on keeping your calendar stress free!!! Happy New Year Jill!!