Thursday, January 24, 2019

My January Stuff

So, as my post yesterday indicated, I've been doing all my favourite January things.  Watching TV, crocheting while listening to podcasts, reading, listening to tunes while I cook or bake...  Here's a rundown on what I'm "into" these days:

  • Game of Thrones:  This show was one of the biggest reasons I wanted to subscribe to Crave.  I have been hearing about it for years, and I've been told so many times I would love it.  So Sunday morning, I subscribed and dove into the show right away.  I finished the first season last night (so yeah, I've watched a lot of GoT in the past few days), and I have to say... I'm underwhelmed so far.  Disappointingly so. I'm not giving up on it, but I'm really not sure this show is my gig.  I'm having a hard time keeping track of who is who, for one thing.  I have to keep googling to remind myself how certain characters are related, or how they're connected, or just who the hell they are.  Problem #2: Beheadings.  Stabbings.  Tongues being cut out.  Hearts being eaten.  I have realized in recent years that I don't handle blood well, and I don't  handle TV blood well either apparently.  I cannot eat while watching this show because there is SO much blood.  I have to hide my eyes.  Sometimes it happens so fast and without warning, I don't get a chance to hide my eyes.  I haaaate that.  I'm going to hang in there, though.  Too many people have promised me I'll love this show for me to give up on it yet.  I keep thinking if I stick with it, I'll get hooked yet.  Maybe Season 2 will finally grab me.  Can I hope for less gore?  We'll see.
  • Crave in general: I was so excited to get Crave because there are quite a few shows available through that streaming service that aren't on Netflix or Amazon Prime.  I hate to say it, but again... I'm underwhelmed.  I had read several reviews online and many complained of a poor set-up and it not being very user-friendly.  I figured it was just people whining.  It isn't  I can't figure out how they haven't got a better set-up.  I can't see a list of episodes for each show, there is no description to read, and it only plays one episode and then stops.  I have to go back to the main frame and click on the show again to get the next episode to roll.  SUCH a pain in the ass.  It makes Netflix's occasional "Are you still there?" message seem like nothing to ever complain about.  And don't even get me started on "fast-forwarding" or "rewinding".  It takes FOR. EV. ERRRRRRRR.  Surely to God, if Netflix and Prime Video and all these other streaming services can figure it out, Crave can too?  Another disappointing aspect: When I signed up, I went with the basic package for $9.99/month instead of the special package with current HBO shows + movies for $19.99/month.  I was well aware of what was available to me by making that choice.  However, once I was subscribed and started adding to "My Cravings" list, all of these amazing recent movies appeared to be available.  I was stoked.  That first night, I excitedly settled in to watch "The Greatest Showman", only to discover when I clicked on it that it said "Upgrade to Watch".  These newer movies weren't actually available to me at all. I don't think content that is NOT  included in my package should pop up at all. I wasn't impressed.  So overall? Yeah.  Less than thrilled.  I'll keep it to watch these shows I've been wanting to see, but then I'll probably cut Crave loose.
  • Someone Knows Something: As you might recall, back in November I got all tangled up in the first season of the CBC podcast "Someone Knows Something".  It was the first time I'd ever listened to a podcast, and I was doubly intrigued by the story of a boy who went missing in the '70's from a nearby town.  I didn't continue to other seasons because A) it was Christmas, I had so many movies and shows to watch, and B) I didn't think I'd care about other stories that weren't as local as the first season was.  Over the holidays and into the new year, I tried out a few other podcasts - Dirty John and a true crime podcast a friend recommended, but I didn't love them the way I loved Someone Knows Something.  So last week, I decided to give Season 2 a try, and yet again, I'm hooked.  This season revolves around a girl named Sheryl Sheppard from Hamilton, ON 19 years ago.  Nothing I enjoy more than coming home from work and spending an hour crocheting and listening to SKS before supper time.
  • Call the Midwife Blanket: I kind of lost my cro-jo over the Christmas holidays.  You would think it would have been prime downtime to start working on the next project, but I just had no inspiration at all.  I finally picked up the hook again last week and started on a pattern I'd been wanting to try out for the "Call the Midwife" blanket.  I haven't actually watched the show, but viewers had spotted a sweet and dainty blanket in one scene and someone has created a pattern for it.  It's coming along nicely, and I'm glad to have my cro-jo back!
  • 11/22/63 by Stephen King: Guys, the end is in sight!  I have a little over 100 pages to go, and for a book that has close to 900, that feels really close!!  I actually think I will be done before book club on Feb. 1st now, which at one time I thought would be a miracle.  As long as I get some quality reading time  this weekend - and I should - I'll get it done.  I can't wait to see how this behemoth of a story wraps up.  It has been quite a journey!!
  • Music: So far in 2019, I've been all about Dolly Parton, the Pistol Annies, and Lauren Daigle.  Girl Power, eh?  I didn't love the movie Dumplin', but I did love the Dolly music that came with it.  The soundtrack from the film, and an album I downloaded of essential Dolly, have been played a lot in my home over the past month.  I also have really been enjoying the Pistol Annies and Lauren Daigle albums I have downloaded recently.  Great great tunes. Perfect to listen to while I putter in the kitchen!
So that's what I've got going on this January!  What are you watching/reading/listening to/working on to keep yourself busy during these cold winter months??

2 comments:

Annsterw said...

I have not seen any of these...I feel completely out of the loop as I had never even heard of Crave and I do not use Netflix either. I am one of those fools still paying for cable-HA!

Nicole said...

I watched Dumplin' the other day. This weather makes me not want to go outside. I'm sick of mud. That's what we have right now.

And Blogger doesn't like me today. It's being real difficult to post comments.