Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Snow Daze

It's the time of year when I wish and hope for snowstorms.  I love to be cozied up inside, hibernating, hyggeing.  And I know we've had snow this year, don't get me wrong, but I hadn't yet truly experienced a real "snow" day.  I was yearning for one.

Well, these past few days?  My wish finally came true.

We were hit with a cold snap over the weekend, so on Saturday, I opted out of going on an outdoor skating activity with our book club group and instead hunkered down.  It felt well-deserved, because the day before had been a full one.  My mom and I had gone to Renfrew to Walmart and out for lunch, then we came home and assembled the cupboard I had bought the weekend before.  Once that was done, I went on an organizing spree.  I emptied my cupboards of all plastic containers, chucked the old and stained ones, and boxed up the rest to donate to the Family Centre.  I started sorting through all the Tupperware and other stuff I had piling up in the corner of the kitchen, and finding new homes for everything (or tossing what I didn't want).  It took some sweat and elbow grease, but by 8 PM that night, I had a clean kitchen, organized cupboards, and there was peace and harmony in my kitchen for the first time in a long time.  It felt good.
 Before (yikes): 

 New cupboard:
 After (phewf):


So my hygge day on Saturday was a nice reward.  I started work on a new crochet project, I read while I sipped tea, and I watched episodes of Wentworth.  I also washed bedding, did dishes, and cleaned bathrooms - so it wasn't a completely lazy day!  I was almost disappointed with how fast it flew by, and before I knew it, I was getting ready to head out for the evening with Mom.  We went to my nephew Caden's hockey game in Aylmer, and then the whole fam-damily went out for dinner at the Aylmer BBQ to celebrate by BIL's 45th birthday.  It was a great evening!  I came home with the intention of settling in to watch the Black Mirror: Bandersnatch choose-your-own-adventure movie on Netflix that I keep hearing about, but I ended up falling asleep on the couch.  Whoops!


Sunday morning, I woke to see it had snowed a lot more overnight than I expected, and it was still coming down.  Snow Day!!!  Woo hoo!!!  Church was cancelled, Mom and I both agreed it was too cold and snowy to go for brunch, so I hunkered down to enjoy a TRUE snow day.  First, I subscribed to Crave as I had finished up Wentworth on Netflix the day before, and I started right into Game of Thrones.  I worked on a puzzle, I crocheted and listened to podcasts, I read, I napped... Oh, and there was Snow Day FOOD!  My favourite Snow Day lunch - straight from my childhood - is macaroni, tomato soup & cheez whiz.  It tastes absolutely magical on a snow day!  Then I made homemade pizza for supper. It was bliss, I tell you.  True bliss!   I literally did not poke my nose out the door ALL day.  It was no work, all play - my DREAM day.


Monday broke sunny, but still bitterly cold.  I knew I wouldn't be going anywhere again, but I also knew another straight day of doing "nothing" wasn't an option or I'd go stir crazy.  One day of completely vegging was a delight. Two days?  Too much.  So I got laundry going, tidied up the kitchen from all the pots and pans I'd dirtied up the day before, and sent in my notes to the local newspaper.  I did more reading, crocheting, and Game of Thrones too, don't get me wrong, but I did some work too!  In the afternoon, I decided to "clean up" leftover Christmas chocolate by chopping it all up and putting it into a batch of cookies.  I had enough leftovers of macaroni and pizza to last me the rest of the week so there was no need to cook anything else. It was a nice day, a little bit of accomplishment and a little bit of relaxation.

By yesterday?  Yes, I was ready to get out of the house.  I was ready to go to work.  I was ready for some action!

It's snowing again today, but at least the deep freeze has lifted.  (Maybe a little too much, as they're now forecasting freezing rain and showers by tonight... too far the other way, Mother Nature!!)  Part of me wishes I was home enjoying another snow day, but part of me is content to enjoy a quiet snow day in the office.  It's the kind of day I dream of during the busy summer months.  

Let it SNOW! :)

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Oh how magical your life seems without kids!! LOL
However, we did the same on Sunday...I did get dressed and went outside to clean the cars!!

Annsterw said...

WHAT A GREAT WEEKEND!! Your's sounded a lot like mine...hunkered down and chilling! Such a beautiful weekend full of nothing! It was truly amazing! I will take a snow day on the weekend anytime!!

Nicole said...

I feel like we're in Seattle because it has been more gray/cloudy this winter than I remember in the past and it's really affecting my mood. Gosh!

But we've had a little snow and a little ice this winter which is different than in the past. But with the snow storms I've seen hitting the northern states, I'm surprised you're not drenched with snow...