Wednesday, January 16, 2019

2019: The Goals

I know, I know... we are already well in 2019, and I'm still doing these Holiday Recap, New Year's Resolution Posts.  But it's a slower-paced time of year for me, and I've been in no rush to blog it all within the normal confines of Blogland.  So half-way through the first month of the year, here are my Goals for 2019:
  • #moreactivein2019 : Just as the hashtag says.  I've long since given up on ever being as thin and in shape as I was a few years ago.  I fell off that wagon, hard, and I don't foresee me ever getting back on it.  At least not to that extent again.  I just love food - and junky food - so much.  BUT.  I  can try to be more active.  I feel like last year I found every excuse in the book not to get my butt up and moving.  I didn't walk on a regular basis, I stopped doing exercise DVD's, and I generally returned to my sloth laziness.  This year, I'm vowing to be more active.  I have a gym right across the road from me now, a fitness class that I love being offered right in town, and I'm curling one night a week.  It's harder to find legitimate excuses now.  If nothing else, I just want to make walking (or, this time of year, snowshoeing) a more regular practice.  I'll feel so much better if I get my blood pumping and my joints moving.
  • Kitchen Organization - get it done! : I'm a procrastinator and a bit of a pack-rat, so organization within my home is always a chore.  Every winter, there seems to be another "project" lined up.  This year, it's the kitchen.  My junky, cluttered-up kitchen has been the bane of my existence for months now.  I have limited cupboard space, and every cupboard is jammed.  I weeded out stuff I didn't need a few years ago, and I'm quite comfortable in saying that I don't have much in those cupboards I'm willing to part with now.  And I also have a Tupperware addiction and a mug addiction, which means I keep bringing in more.  Since there's no room left in cupboards, stuff is just getting piled in boxes and bags on the floor in the corner of the kitchen.  That Tupperware pile keeps spreading.  The mug collection has spilled onto the counter.  I also put groceries (canned goods, etc) that don't fit in cupboards on the little table in my kitchen.  It is a disaster.  So I have purchased a new microwave stand and pantry cupboard to provide some more storage space.   The microwave stand is already together and looks great; the pantry cupboard will be assembled this weekend and hopefully ALL the excess "stuff" will go in it and I will be done with this problem!!
  • Weekly Money Challenge:  I've been doing this for several years - putting the amount of money in a pot for each week of the year.  Week 1: $1, Week 2: $2 and so on.  By the end of the year, you should have $1300+ saved.  It's a great way to have some extra money saved up at the end of the year.  I usually use mine to pay off Christmas, the last rent of the year, etc.  Maybe this year I'll actually be successful with saving and have a little extra saved for a trip or something!
  • Read 15 Books: Last year was the first time I actually accomplished this goal (since I started keeping track) - and I'm hoping to do the same this year.  At this point, it might be a miracle if I can finish just one lol.  (11/22/63 by Stephen King is SO. LONG.)
  • Up my church givings:  A long time ago, I signed up for pre-authorized remittances to our church for my givings.  My financial situation has changed since then, yet I've never changed my givings to the church.  I need to do that this year.
  • A new car in 2019? Possibly... : This is one I'm not really sure about, but I'm tossing around the idea of trading in my car.  I have a year left of payments on it, so I'm not sure if it would work out, but I might research it in the spring.
  • Stop using the "R" word: This might seem like a silly little insignificant thing to some, but I hate that I use that word so often.  I like to think I'm a kind, compassionate person, yet I use this word which is highly offensive to those with mental disabilities and challenges.  Why?  Why do I do it?  I don't usually think about it, and it's usually used in reference to myself:  "I felt like such a r----", "I was being so r----".  I don't like the sound of it, or the implication of it, so why do I continue to use it?  Banishing it from my language in 2019 (and really hoping others do too.)
  • Try to do things with a happy and open heart: I dislike change, and I resist it.  I also find often I feel like "why do I always have to be the one to do this?" or "why is everything always dumped on me?"  Not that I want to turn into a doormat.  But there are things that I have to do, or that are required of me - in many different circumstances, both new changes and old jobs - that I wish I could just handle without feeling bitter or used or anxious.  I'm going to set the intention to greet these things with more patience, happiness, and understanding.  It doesn't mean I"m going to become a pushover - I'll still stand up if I think it's something that should not be put on me - but when I do have the obligation of doing something, I don't want to carry resentment with it.
  • Keep up with the Hygge:  Last year, I made it a goal to enhance the Hygge in my life after reading The Little Book of Hygge.  Unfortunately, enhancing the Hygge - at least in the ways I wanted to - required a little more coin than I was willing to spend.  I did a few things - learning how to crochet being a big one!  - I received a rock salt lamp for my birthday, I made a point of lighting candles and cozying up more often in comfy clothes, fluffy socks, and blankets - but I wasn't able to invest in some of the things that I thought would "enhance the hygge".  A fireplace (still not sure that one will ever happen because I can never figure out where it would go), an area rug, and new blinds in my living room are all on the "maybe this year" list.
  • Do what I LOVE! :  I'm already pretty good at this, I have to admit. haha!!  If something feels right to me, if it's something I enjoy, if it's something I want to do - then I usually go for it.  Sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do because we have no choice - but if there IS a choice, then I'm going to keep working on saying "no" to the things that don't feel right, and saying "yes" to the things that do.  Dinners out, pedicures, cozy days in with Netflix and a good book, going to the movies, planning fun things to do with my nieces and nephews, reading on the deck in the summer, boat days, pool days, photo safaris, cooking, baking, listening to music, spending time with family and friends, day trips... these are all things that make me happy, and I hope to do plenty of these things in 2019!
Do you make New Year's Resolutions?  Have you stuck with any so far this year?  What are your goals for 2019?

No comments: