Wednesday, June 12, 2019

What's Up Wednesday

Here's a point-form run-down of what's going on with me these days...

  • I have only been a Raptors fan for 2 weeks, but they got me.  Hook, line & sinker.  I didn't realize how much I cared until I found myself gasping, praying, and crying out during the game Monday night.
  • That said, I'm ready for this series to be over.  Staying up til midnight watching basketball is soooo not my bag.  Yesterday I was tired and had to work very hard not to be in a cranky rut all day.  Here's hoping the Raps win it and end this thing tomorrow night.  I'm sure the exhaustion the next day will be much easier to bear if I'm basking in the glow of an NBA championship win.
  • So, some of the Toronto fans cheered and waved goodbye to Kevin Durant when he was injured and left the game the other night.  And Raptors fans are being labelled as classless and cruel because of it.  But you know what?  In the heat of the moment?  I can't say I had a different reaction.  I haven't watched basketball long enough to know or care about Kevin Durant, all I know is he was this big boogie-man that has loomed over this series.  "He might be in... he might be in..."  And then he was in, and I didn't like him.  So no, I wasn't sad to see him go down.  I also didn't realize in that moment how serious his injury was, and I suspect many of the fans applauding and cheering didn't either.  Nobody wants to see anyone seriously hurt.  This "ugly reaction" that TO fans are being charged with feels unfair.  That city - and this country -  have been waiting 24 years for a little taste of victory in this sport, and it's finally right there for the taking, you have to forgive us if we are a little blinded by that desire.
  • Life feels very odd right now.  I could care less who wins the Stanley Cup tonight, my sights are set on an NBA title tomorrow night. Who would have ever thunk it?
  • I have some people in my life who have been afflicted by a bad cold/flu in the past week.  As a germaphobe, this has left me in a state of unease.  Also, I have had terrible allergies this spring.  So I spend every day wondering if I am exhibiting cold symptoms or allergy symptoms.  Today, I'm seriously concerned by this scritchy-scratchy feeling at the back of my throat.  It doesn't feel like allergies.  Please pray for me.
  • The weather was gorgeous last weekend.  Truly, our first real taste of summer this year.  And everyone loved it, myself included.  So I'm almost ashamed to admit that if the weather forecast stands, it should be rainy on Friday night and all day Saturday, and I'm kind of looking forward to it.  I have no plans, and it sounds like a perfect excuse to laze, Netflix, crochet, read... we all need the odd rainy day off, don't we?  I know I sure do.  My hermit side craves it.
  • I've been kind of in a TV binging lull lately. I've been trying to watch 30 Rock on Crave, but I'm not loving it.  I noticed The Handmaid's Tale Season 3 has a few episodes up on Crave now so I might turn to them this weekend.
  • Back to basketball for a second.  I have a crush on Kawhi Leonard.  Like, a serious crush on Kawhi Leonard.  I like his aloof demeanor and the stories of his weird behaviour and how he leaves his teammates hanging when they try to high-five him.  I like how he looks out on the court, I like the way he moves.  My only problem so far with Kawhi?   The indents in Kawhi's shoulders.  They creep.me.right.out.  I get it.  This man is in incredible physical shape.  Those arms and shoulders are literally ripped.  But... I don't like those indents.  I want Kawhi to put a t-shirt on so I don't have to see them anymore.
  • Oh, I saw Aladdin last Friday night!  And I LOOOOVED it!!!  I had to skip book club to go to it, which I felt pretty guilty about, and it was  difficult choice to make because I love my book club gals.  But I didn't regret the choice once I saw the movie.  It was just marvelous.  
  • Funny story:  I've been trying to watch a Disney movie every Sunday night, and last Sunday my niece Danica asked, "So whatcha watching tonight, Jill?"  I said I didn't know, I wished I could watch the original Aladdin but it isn't on Netflix.  She said, "Don't you have the movie?"  I said yes, I do, but it's DVD and my DVD player isn't working.  She said, "What about Blu Ray?" I said I don't have a Blu Ray player.  I might have it on VHS, though.  She asked, "What is VHS?"  I said you know how I used to put movies in my TV up in my room?  And she said, "You mean, Blu Ray?"  I said, "No, no, I mean those big VHS tapes I had to put in the VCR."  And she replied, "Yeah, those are BLU RAY, Jill!!"  Cracked me right up.  She's quite the chick, that girl!  Here all along she thought clunky old VHS was Blu Ray.  Oh, and just try to tell her she's wrong.  haha!!  Priceless!!
  • Lately, all I do is crave junk food.  My cravings bounce around.  Last week, all I wanted was hot fresh french fries doused in salt and vinegar and ketchup.  Today, I'd give my left arm for a chicken shawarma and garlic potatoes.  ugh.
  • I'm also craving a good day at the beach. Or by a pool.  Or on a boat.  Today looks like it would be a beautiful day to do any of that.  Alas, it is not to be... sigh.
What's up with all of you on this fine Wednesday?  Make it a great one! :)

1 comment:

Nicole said...

My gma always watched Bball, but I never got into that. Her team was the Chicago Bulls, but that was back when Michael Jordan played for them. So... yeah. I didn't even know what you were talking about at first. and I have no interest in watching the soccer thing. I'm a little put off by it... but whatever.

Salt, vinegar, and ketchup on fries... vinegar is in ketchup, right? You add it extra. I love how kiddos don't know what vhs tapes are. I was actually told the other day I didn't know what it was like to not have a cell phone. I was like, sure I do. Then I was talking about a bag car phone and they didn't know what I was talking about. These people were also old enough to be my parents... I was confused.