Friday, June 14, 2019

WE THE NORTH... WE THE CHAMPS!!!

I'm tired today.  But I'm a very happy kind of tired today.

BECAUSE WE WON!!!  The NBA Championship Title is coming north of the border for the first time in history, and for the first time in the Raptors 24 year existence.

And I am thrilled for them!!!

As we all know, I have only been a basketball fan for a few weeks.  As the Toronto Raptors rolled through the playoffs, I was keeping an eye on them, but honestly, I hadn't sat down to actually watch a game until they reached the finals.  I decided to jump on-board the bandwagon, and I'm so glad I did.

Up until a few weeks ago, I would have said that basketball wasn't my game.  Hockey? Yes.  Baseball and fastball?  Yes.  Curling?  Kinda.  Football?  I can handle it.

Basketball?  Nope.  Never.

Well... Never say never, Jill, because in the past few weeks, a basketball fan was born.  I actually learned players names, and began to understand some of the skill and strategy that goes into the game.  I learned some of the rules.  I still have no damn idea what constitutes a foul, or how they decide how many shots they get from the line, or why sometimes they call a foul and no shots are taken at all, but... I was getting there.  I was starting to really grasp it all.

Oh, and I fell in love with Kawhi.  Oh, how I adore Kawhi.  If Kawhi is still in Toronto next year, I might actually tune in to some regular season games, just to see my Kawhi.

They were an easy group of guys to get behind.  They really did become Canada's team during this historic run, and the entire country celebrated last night.  It was monumental.  It was epic.  I almost chewed the end off my thumb in the 4th quarter - it was a little too close for my liking - and those last few minutes seemed to last for hours and took years off my life.

But man oh man, was it worth it.

I stayed up for a good hour after the game ended, just winding down from the excitement.  I watched the Raptors receive the Larry O'Brien trophy, and I watched Kawhi being awarded the MVP of the playoffs.  I watched Kyle Lowrey celebrating with his little boys, and Marc Gasol grinning from ear to ear.  I watched them jump and dance in the dressing room wearing goggles as they sprayed one another with champagne and beer.  Meanwhile, back in Canada, the Jurassic Parks that had sprung up across the country for viewing parties erupted in celebration.  The streets of downtown Toronto were packed with championship revelers.  Maybe they still are.  I don't think this glow is going to fade too quickly.


It's been a long time since this country has had a major sports championship to celebrate (aside from Olympics victories, of course.)  It's our turn to have a little taste of glory.

And man, it tastes good.

WE THE NORTH... WE THE CHAMPS!!!

1 comment:

Rev. Nancy said...

I got Reg tickets to a Raptor's game for his birthday one year. I was totally exhilarated by the speed and physicality of the players! One year Reg coached both twins' basketball teams!