Monday, June 03, 2019

The Weekend Rundown

Hello? Nicer weather? Some semblance of Summer?  Are you out there?

It was another weekend of cooler, cloudy, rainy, slightly crappy weather, and there appears to be no end in sight.  WHAT is going ON with this WEATHER?!  We're normally getting at least a hint of summer by now, but not this year.  It's the never-ending dismal spring.  ugh.  I just want to sit on my deck and read without having to wear a sweatshirt!

This past weekend whizzed by so fast, and yet it was an enjoyable weekend, with plenty accomplished, and also plenty of fun.

Friday evening, my mom, sister, and I joined friends who had invited us to go the Daniel O'Donnell concert at the NAC.  Truth - I had never heard of Daniel O'Donnell prior to this.  But my mom is a fan, so Kara and I decided to go along for the ride.  The evening ended up being wonderful!  We had a delicious meal and drinks at Darcy McGee's, then walked over to the NAC for the show.  It was really enjoyable, and he was a great entertainer.  We may not have had grey enough hair to truly fit in - LOL! - but I think he might have turned us into fans.  There were some poignant moments too, once when he sang my dad's favourite song "The Green Green Grass of Home", and once when he sang one of my Uncle Garry's faves, Merle Haggard's "Sing Me Back Home".  The show went one a little longer than I expected, so we didn't get home until after midnight and it was a fight to keep my eyes open.  Still, I was so glad we went, and it was nice to do something with Mom that she really enjoyed.

The late night on Friday meant a little bit of a sleep-in on Saturday; I didn't roll out of bed until 8:30 AM.  I lounged around for a bit, drinking coffee and watching episodes of 30 Rock on Crave.  I had a bunch of little things running through my mind that I wanted to do, but I had this niggling feeling that if I didn't make a list and start crossing things off, I'd get nothing done.  I made a list that included running errands in Shawville, cutting the grass, uploading pictures on my laptop, baking cookies, and working on my crocheting.  Despite having a sinus headache that escalated as the day went on, I got everything accomplished.  Mom and I headed to Shawville late morning where I got my groceries and did all the running around I had to do, then stopped for a quick lunch at Hursty's.  When I got home, I hopped on the riding mower, which had been returned to me in working order (a temporary fix, I think a new lawn mower is on the way!) - and got my grass cut by myself for the first time in weeks.  Hallelujah!  I also got my photos off my camera and put on my laptop (I was so behind in uploading pics and posting!)  It was a big relief to have that done.

Once I had all of that done, it was around 4 PM and my head was pounding.  I put some of my Peppermint Halo on the back of my neck and head, took an Advil, and slept soundly for 2 hours.  When I woke up, I felt much better.  It was a strange hour of the day to do it, but I then decided to bake my cookies that I've been craving - my version of Christmas Jumbles.  Lol!  If summer is never going to come, Christmas cookies in June it is!!  I had a late supper of spinach pizza that I heated out of the freezer, then settled in to watch the new Netflix flick Always Be My Maybe, then headed for bed.

On Sunday, I was up early and got ready for church.  We enjoyed a nice service at Wesley, and then my mom, Kara, Danica and I hustled off afterwards to my niece's dance recital at the Museum of History.  I so enjoyed it!  The music was awesome, and these kids were AMAZING!!!  They danced the way I dreamed of dancing as a kid.  Neve did a terrific job in her jazz performance.  I was so impressed.

After the dance show, we went back to my sister's for an impromptu BBQ dinner of burgers and dogs.  While we were there, my sister got the alert on her phone for a tornado warning in the area.  (For some reason, I did not.)  I spent the evening feeling rather anxious, as friends on social media posted and shared photos and videos of a tornado that touched down in both Gatineau and Orleans.  What is going on with these tornadoes in our area?!?  I feel like I lived my whole life without hardly ever hearing a tornado warning, and now we're getting them all the time it seems.  I. don't like it. Not one bit.

When I got home, I landed on the couch and all but slept through the Raptors game. LOL!  I fell asleep early on and woke up for the last 5 minutes or so.  It was close, but they lost Game 2 and the series is now tied 1-1.  I heard the rest of the games are all going to be at 9 PM.  Why does basketball get played in the middle of the damn night?!  I expect I'll be sleeping through the rest of them too!

Hope you all had a great weekend. :)


1 comment:

Debbie Johnston said...

Oh Jill I bet Daniel Odonnel was good. I started lestening to him when Mom played a CD one day a few years ago. Just love his voice. I would love to get some of his CD"s.