Wednesday, December 09, 2020

And now, as Christmas draws near...

Ummm... anyone know where November went? And almost half of December, for that matter?

Time, she be a-flyin'!

So, it's my favourite time of year.  Even in pandemic times.  In fact, I think I might even like it more, if that's possible.

OK, no, that's not entirely true.  There's an added level of stress, and a provincial premier who one day said, "Yes, you can have Christmas gatherings of up to 10 people for 4 days!" and then two weeks later, said, "No, never mind.  Too much Covid. Shut it down."  So that part - the part where just getting to see my family is against the rules - makes me sad.  Terribly sad.

BUT.  The part where there's no parties or pot lucks or gatherings of any kind the whole month leading up to the big day?  It's kind of... wonderful.  December is always so flipping busy.  And I love it, really I do.  But this year, I'm soaking up the extra time. To bake, and watch movies, and crochet, and snuggle up and be cozy.  I don't hate that part.  Not at all.  I have a very hemitty side that is a-okay with this, in fact.

That said, I do miss normal old gatherings with my friends.  Some of my friends I haven't seen in months, pre-pandemic.  And I do miss them, very much.  I keep reminding myself that when we are finally allowed to gather again, it will feel that much more sweet to see them.

I have also learned not to let myself sink too far into my Hermit Hole.  In the past few weeks, I have had a few door visits with friends.  Where they have to come to my door for some reason, or I have to go to their door for some reason, and we stand a safe distance apart and chat.  I hadn't done that with anyone in a really long time, and it felt good.  Soul-warming.  So it's been a good reminder to me to make sure to keep doing that.  I don't want to go so far into my hole that I might never come back out.

Another thing that happened in November was that I helped host a very successful online auction for our church.  We haven't been able to hold our normal fundraisers, nor will we in the near future (ie, Christmas House Tour, Soup & Sandwich lunches, Irish Tea...) So we decided to do an online auction.  And boy, did our community step UP.  It has been amazing to see the support from near and far.  Overwhelming and so deeply appreciated!  But now we are in the aftermath - of trying to sort out payments and arrangements for getting people their items and putting them in touch with people who provided services, and it is chaotic.  I am a fairly organized person, and I have had trouble keeping everything straight.  80+ people wanting to pay, to pick up their stuff, to know who to call to make their arrangements... it's a LOT!!  So life has been busy with that as well, and we're finally whittling down to the last little bit of it.  Phewf!

Thankfully, the rest of my life is pretty much organized to the max.  I got my house fully decorated in mid-November, and all of my Christmas shopping completely done by December 1st.  Baking is well under way, as are my crocheted Christmas gifts that I have been working on.  I still haven't wrapped, but that is one of my favourite jobs that I usually leave closer to Christmas because I loved doing it so much.  With just over two weeks until the big day, I don't think I should have any trouble getting everything accomplished.

So... I'm feeling pretty good!  It's been a strange year, such a rollercoaster of emotions, that I really feel grateful to be feeling good and mostly happy these days.  There were a lot of days during the spring, and even into the summer, where anxiety gripped me and I didn't feel so good.  So I give thanks for these days when I'm not gripped with anxiousness all the time. 

I know it will be a different Christmas this year.  But I also know it will still be special.  Somehow, we will make it so.  I'm thankful that even though I live in a "Red Zone", the cases are low in our area and the situation isn't as scary here as it is in other places.  And while I know my opinion on vaccines is not shared by everyone, I am so very very grateful that they are coming, and that brighter days are ahead.

We are well into the last month of this train-wreck of a year, and I know it's not just going to end with the flip of a calendar page, but I am so looking forward to saying good-bye to 2020.  I don't know what to expect in 2021, but I'm ready.  And I'm hopeful.

1 comment:

Allstarme79 said...

Where I live, it isn't bad either. I literally know only one person who currently has it and they have mild cold symptoms. In fact, if it weren't for my husband working from home STILL, my life is almost "normal." I hope you have a good Christmas!