Wednesday, November 20, 2019

I drank the Disney+ kool-aid.

So, today, since it is still ONLY November 20th, I shall try to write a blog post that does not mention the word CHRISTMAS.  Because, sheesh  Seriously.  Get a grip, Jill.

But today, I did buy myself a little present.  And that present was a monthly subscription for the recently released streaming service, Disney+.

I of course heard about this streaming service being released.  I mean, I work for Jared and Lindsay Hamilton.  They are Disney fanatics.  They have been talking about this coming for months.  And since the service was released, I have heard them talking about how amazing the content is.  All those Disney classics, out of the vault.  Old shows.  New movies.  Superhero stuff. (That was from Jared.)  Even aside from the Hamiltons, I've seen many friends on Facebook sharing their thoughts and opinions on it (all positive, from what I've seen).

Still, I was holding out.  Because, A) I have racked up my credit card with shopping for that holiday that I shall not speak of (yet) , and B) I have been paying for Crave all year and hardly using it, and I didn't want to do the same with Disney+.  My plan was to wait until January, when the Crave subscription will run out, and I will hopefully be all caught up on holiday debt.  Besides, as I've mentioned several times, I have a million movies and specials to watch over the next six weeks.  Plus Netflix.  Plus Amazon Prime.  I didn't need Plus Disney+.

But something in me snapped this morning.  I'm not entirely sure what.  I think I saw something on FB again about how amazing the service is.  And before I could give my head a shake, I had gone on and subscribed.  Here, Disney.  Take my 8.99 a month!  Just take it!!

I am at work, so I haven't actually had time to watch anything, but as I continue to scroll through the categories, my heart keeps jumping with excitement.  There is so MUCH!!!  So many movies I haven't seen since I was a kid, or movies I've never seen.  And this is coming from a girl who has worked hard to build a pretty solid Disney DVD collection!!

That part, though... that part sucks.  I have spent so much money on DVD's over the years.  Some very recently.  In the past 6 months, I have bought The Lion King, The Sandlot, Rookie of the Year, and Hocus Pocus, all titles that I saw while quickly scanning through on Disney+.  And all I could think was, what a waste.  Because I don't know about anyone else, but I seem to have gotten insanely lazy and I find it a pain in the ass to put a DVD in the player now.  I much prefer if I can find it on a streaming service instead.

I admit that I'm not 100% sure how I feel about the take-over of streaming services.  I now have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crave, and Disney +.  There are others that I've contemplated, like AppleTV+.  And I hear there are only more coming.  As so many others have brought to attention, soon the combination of costs for all of these services might as well equal the price of cable.  So much for saving money.

But I can already tell you, I don't regret Disney+.  If I'm going to whittle them down, Crave will absolutely be the first to go (terrible service, and my Internet speed doesn't support it very well).  I'll see what Prime and Netflix continue to offer.  (So far, so good for both them of them).

So, what am I excited to watch on Disney+?  Like... EVERYTHING!!!  Here are some of the titles that jumped out at me as movies or shows that I want to watch:

- Babes in Toyland
- The Sword in the Stone (I don't think I've ever even seen that movie)
- Swiss Family Robinson
- The Sound of Music
- Duck Tales (my god, Saturday mornings of my childhood!)
- A Goofy Movie (haven't seen it in a million years)
- the new Lady & The Tramp
- Noelle
- The Adventures of Huck Finn (I had the movie as a kid, and one day it disappeared...never did find it)
- Old Yeller (I remember seeing this many times in French in school, but I don't think I've ever seen it in English!!)
- the old Pete's Dragon movie
- Muppet Babies
- old Mickey cartoons
- Cinderella (I can't remember the last time I watched Cinderella!)
- Finding Dory
- Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas & Twice Upon a Christmas (oh, shit, I said Christmas.  Dammit.)
- Up! (I only saw it once, and I fell asleep lol)

My gosh, guys, there is SO much.  I'm so excited about it!

There's even a movie from my youth that used to scare me.  I was really young when I saw it, and I don't know if the movie is actually scary, but I remember it terrifying me.  And that movie was called Fuzzbucket.  It's on there!  I can't wait to check it out to see if it is even remotely scary. lol!

Watching the Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights are some of my favourite memories from childhood.  The fact that I could put any of those old classics on and re-visit that any night I want?  It makes me so happy.  So very, very happy.

How about you?  Did you drink the Disney+ kool-aid? Have you signed up?  If so, what do you recommend I watch first?

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Yep, I have signed up.

We watched Noelle. The only downfall I do not like about it - and maybe it's just my devices but the volume is not good while watching on my tablet and again, it was Mighty Ducks so maybe it was an older movie...I don't know. Keep me posted.

Nicole said...

They interviewed the CEO of Disney + or something... they calculated if people had all the streaming services (not all... but the ones they chose) you'd spend $129/mo or something like that. I'm not sure how I feel about the streaming services taking over either, but... I'm lazy about putting dvd's in too...

Arryan said...

Breaking news in hindi

nice blog with amazing information