Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Random Tuesday. On the hurricane, Halloween, and other stuff.

  • With Hurricane Sandy bearing down on the East Coast late yesterday, there was talk that we might see a bit of it here – nothing major, but they were talking about winds gusting upwards of 60 km/hr, which always means a chance of the power going out.  So we joked all day about getting our candles and flashlights ready “just in case”.  When I got home from work? The damned power was already out.  Seriously.  Not even breezy yet, and no power.  *sigh*
  • I honestly don’t think the power outage had anything to do with the Frankenstorm, but man, did it ever make me feel like I was part of the hurricane hype.
  • I joined my mom at her place, because there was no way I could’ve stayed at home alone in the dark after watching a zillion scary movies over the weekend.  I would’ve freaked myself right out.  Mom kept talking about how it was kind of fun, and felt like the “olden days”.  Sure.  Super fun.
  • My cousin Dale came to see if she needed her generator going (for the sump pump in the basement) – but the water wasn’t rising very quickly so she opted to not run it.  Would’ve been nice if we could’ve watched TV though, MOM!  But no.  She wanted to pretend we were pioneers instead.  *sigh again*
  • May I just say… it warmed my heart that Fudgie thought to come and check on my mom last night.  My extended family are good peeps.  This is one of the many reasons why I love them so much.
  • The power didn’t come back on until after we went to bed, some time between 10:30 and 11:00 PM.  That was one long, boring night sitting by candlelight, making shadow puppets on the wall.  (I am a pro at making a moose, by the way.  Just in case you were wondering.)
  • God bless my Blackberry, and the Facebook and Twitter apps on it.  And thank God my battery was charged.  It kept me mildly entertained when the shadow puppets got old.
  • So, I’m sure you’re all wondering how Jill’s Day of Halloweenie Fun went on Saturday, right?  Totally successful!  I got my pumpkin carved, and my friend Lindsay joined me for a scary movie marathon – we watched Chernobyl Diaries, Fear, Scream, The Shining, and Hush.  Some of them weren’t extremely scary, but we needed those to space out the very scary!  For me, The Shining was probably the one that freaked me out the most… so damned creepy.  Chernobyl Diaries had an awesome premise, but I think it could’ve been made scarier.  Had me jumping nonetheless.  Fear had a sexy psychotic Mark Wahlberg, so no complaints from me. And Scream was kind of funny, I didn’t realize how dated it already is.  (“Excuse me, young man, why exactly do you have a cellular phone??” HA!)  Annnnd…I kinda slept through Hush.  Whoops.
  • Now I’m finally ready for Halloween!  Feeling very much in the spirit.  I can’t wait to see all my little trick-or-treaters tomorrow night.  I wish it was tonight!
  • Before I got to my Halloweenie fun on Saturday, I cleaned my disaster of a closet, I tidied up the spare room (which is actually my junk room filled with craft supplies and Christmas decorations), and I de-moulded the bathroom ceiling.  Fun fun.  Apparently it took a toll on me.  My legs have been aching ever since, as though I did, like, a billion squats.  So now I’m hobbling around like an old lady.  Sweet.
  • The winds are still howling around here today, but all I can feel is grateful that we weren’t in Sandy’s path.  Thoughts are with all those who were.  Some of the images and stories are absolutely spine-tingling.  Praying for all who were hit along the East Coast!
  • And now, Google’s refusing to let me upload any of the images I’ve found to go along with this rambly ol’ post.  So instead, I will show you my jack-o-lantern that I carved on Saturday.  Enjoy.

jack-o-lantern 2012

Linking up today for Talk To Us Tuesday with Impulsive Addict & Shawn (who sent me an awesome goody bag for winning the draw for most link-ups on TTUT in the past year, thank you so much Shawn!!!)…

Talk2Us

…and also with Stacy Uncorked for Random Tuesday!

randomtuesday

11 comments:

Connie said...

I hate when the power goes out. I suck at being a pioneer!

Chell said...

The Shining is one of my all time favs!!!

Anonymous said...

When we went through Hurricane Andrew in '92, I kind of liked the pioneering idea too; we had no power for 3 days and I tried to make sure everyone had enough of my Mead folders to use for fans (it was summer, of course.)

Impulsive Addict said...

I wouldn't know what to do with myself if power was out and my phone wasn't charged. I think I would go crazy!!

I watched Chernobyl Diaries. I HATED it. That's probably why I don't watch scary movies. I always get disappointed.

Thanks for linking up my friend!

Mrs. Match said...

Love your pumpkin! Oh man, the power going out is such a pain. I had that happen when I was home alone and Match was gone at work. Freaked me out bad!!
That is so sweet of your cousin. I love good family like that. I wish ours lived closer. My cousins are the best!

Stacie said...

I hate when there is no power or hot water, I am kind of a diva that way!

VandyJ said...

We so rarely lose power for more than a couple hours that we aren't all that prepared with activities--it's usually storming when it does and summer time, so there's that.
Love your pumpkin--we are carving tomorrow, or maybe tonight. Not sure on our time line.

Jo said...

I don't mind no lights but I hate no computer!

Like your jack-o-lantern!

LeeLu Creations said...

No power stinks! I so would not have made it back in the day.

The Shining freaked you out? I don't remember it being that scary, or maybe it was more mentally scary than gory scary? I can only watch scary movies in total daylight. I'm a frady cat, lol.

Nicole said...

A few years ago when the ice storm hit here we were without power in right around freezing conditions for 4 days straight. I totally get the whole boredom thing. I usually was in bed asleep around 7 although I never slept because I was so darn cold.

Just Keepin It Real, Folks! said...

I'm glad to hear that someone else on this earth also uses a Blackberry!!!! Here's to ya sista!!!! Visiting from TTUT.