Wednesday, March 04, 2020

This past week, I...

The last time I wrote a blog post, I was anxiously anticipating Snowmageddon 2020.  People had this storm hyped. up.  They even cancelled school the day before, it was supposed to be THAT big.  (It is rare for schools to close around here due to weather, let alone the day before.)  I was giddy.  But literally just as the snow started, the forecast changed.  All of a sudden my 40+ cm of snow turned into more rain than snow, and I was heartbroken.  Nothing worse than a good snowstorm getting ruined by RAIN!!!  ugh.

By Thursday morning, things weren't looking all that bad out my window.  More slop than anything.  Yet still, my amazing bosses (and friends) texted me to say they were giving me a snow day.  I know they didn't have to.  I work five minutes from home, it hadn't even snowed that much, and I definitely could have got there... But still, my heart fluttered with excitement.  I LOVE a snow day!!!  I read for hours (still into the To All the Boys books), I crocheted, I watched The Price Is Right.  I made macaroni for lunch (my fave all-time snow day lunch!), and I had a nap while Disney + played in the background.  Then I spent a big chunk of the afternoon making a pot of chili (because it was also National Chili Day!) and baking cheddar biscuits.  It was true bliss!!  By the end of the day, the "storm" had kind of fizzled out, and it really did seem silly to have stayed home because of it, but I treasured it anyways.  Snow Days don't come around very often.

Friday I didn't have any big plans, so I bummed around home again, did some tidying up and dishes, a quick house cleaning, more crocheting and reading.  Then in the afternoon I played with my alcohol inks.  I got some new colours so I wanted to test them out.  That evening, Lindsay arrived with chicken shawarma platters that she picked up from the best spot in Aylmer, and we settled in to watch my beloved Peter Kavinsky for the next couple of hours.  I think I've won her over to the dark side... well, at least I think she understands why I've become so smitten, at least.  LOL!  That Kavinsky boy is hard to resist...

I had an early start Saturday morning, as I was curling in our local Lions Club's annual bonspiel with friends.  Our first game was at 9AM.  I was a little nervous, because I "retired" from curling on Thursday nights this year, and I was afraid I'd forgotten everything.  Thankfully, it came back to me quickly - surprisingly quickly.  I felt really good out there, and I actually very much enjoyed it!  I had forgotten how much fun it can be.  I also really enjoy the day of sitting around at the curling rink, visiting with friends, chatting and laughing over a few drinks.  It was a really good day.

However, I woke up Sunday feeling rough.  Really rough.  It wasn't a hangover - I didn't have enough to drink to cause that - it was just the aches and pains of curling.  I guess now that I don't play regularly, my muscles had forgotten they could move that way.  I was so sore. Even the palms of my hands were aching.  Still, I made myself get up and move.  I went to church, then out to brunch with the fam.  My brother was playing in a 3-on-3 hockey tournament and they made the finals in their division, so we went to watch. (We were bad luck... they lost... whoops!)  By late afternoon, though, I was settled back in on my couch, watching Peter Kavinsky again.  The good news is that I think I may have finally worn the movies out.  I was definitely tiring of them by the time I finished them this time. LOL!

On Monday, I had big plans.  With the kids on March Break this week, I had decided it was the perfect day to take my niece Danica on her "Day Out" - a day of shopping, lunch, and movies that I promised her on her birthday back in December.  We let Grandma tag along this year, and we shopped at Walmart and Carter's first.  She picked up some super cute outfits, and seemed very happy with her purchases.  Then we met my BIL and nephew at Boston Pizza for lunch, and after that, we headed over to the movie theatre to see The Call of the Wild.  I was a little disappointed in lack of options when it came to movies, and this wouldn't have been my first choice, but it turned out to be really good.  We all really liked it!

By the time I got home late afternoon, my curling aches and pains were bothering me again, and I felt really, really tired.  I plopped down on the couch and slept for over two hours.  BIG mistake.  Then I couldn't sleep that night.  It was the worst night I've had in a long time.  I tossed and turned, my arms and legs were aching, I felt uncomfortably full from all the junk we'd eaten at lunch and at the movies, I was too hot, and I had to pee like four times.  AWFUL.  Finally around 3 AM, I got up and took an Advil, which seemed to help with the pains, and I slept until my alarm went off at 5:45 AM.

When I woke Tuesday morning, I was not feeling too crash hot.  My stomach felt off, but I chalked it up to the crappy eating the day before.  I also just felt out of sorts after the bad night of sleep.  However, because of my snow day on Thursday, and knowing Jared and Lindsay had a big week with a tradeshow on in the city, I knew staying home wasn't an option.  I got myself ready and off to work.  It was a nice, peaceful day in the office, so that was good, but I was definitely not right.  My stomach was very off.  I never did get sick, but I sure felt like I could for most of the day.  I ended up not eating lunch just in case, so by the end of the day I felt pretty lethargic and crappy.  I was determined not to go home and sleep again though.  I couldn't risk another night of terrible sleep.  When I got home, I read for a while, then just had plain rice, applesauce and ginger ale for supper.  I honestly had no appetite at all, but my stomach was empty and I needed to eat something, even if it did still feel weak.  Thankfully, everything stayed put, so whatever it was - too much junk the day before, or some kind of bug - seemed to be over.  I spent the evening crocheting a new dish cloth pattern I found, and I finished off The Marvellous Mrs. Maisel on Prime.  I started into Schitt's Creek on Netflix next, and I think I'm going to love it. It definitely had me laughing!  I also really want to watch The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez on Netflix, but I'm saving it for the weekend.  It sounds like it's pretty intense and heart-wrenching, and I want to be prepared to fully commit to that.  I have a weekend ahead without much going on, so I think it will be the perfect time.

So... that's what's been up since my last post, a week ago today!  A little bit of everything!!  I hope you are all having a good week so far. :)

No comments: