Thursday, January 16, 2020

My Faves of 2019

We might be half-way through the first month of 2020, but I'm not quite done reflecting on 2019 yet!!  I realized from browsing through old blog posts that last year I did a re-cap on my favourite books, movies, tv shows and music of the year before, and I had fun looking back on that.  So let's do it again!!

Here are my favourites of 2019:

Movies:

Yesterday
Dumbo
Aladdin
The Lion King
It: Chapter 2
Downton Abbey
Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil & Vile

It seems that as I get older, I see more kids movies in theatre than adult movies!  I loved all that Disney brought us this year with the live-action Dumbo (Sam's birthday outing), Aladdin (family outing), and The Lion King (another family outing on my summer holidays).  I was so excited to see Yesterday in theatres, as I thought the premise was so neat and I love The Beatles.  It: Chapter 2 was a little disappointing, but it was my first time at a drive-in so that was memorable regardless!  And after watching Downton Abbey on Netflix a few winters ago, I couldn't wait to see the movie in theatres (Lindsay's birthday outing).
Extremely Wicked was a Netflix movie starring Zac Efron that I got sooo sucked into, and strangely, seeing Zac Efron as a serial killer made him insanely more attactive to me.  Weird.

Here's what I'm looking forward to at the box office in 2020:

Little Women (I know it's already out, but I didn't get to see it over the holidays and I'm still hoping to get there before it's gone)
A Quiet Place Part II (March)
Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway (April)
The Woman in the Window (May)
Top Gun: Maverick (June!!!!!!!)

TV:

Game of Thrones
Big Little Lies
Castle Rock
The Handmaid's Tale
Dirty John
When They See Us
Unbelievable
The Ranch
Nailed It!
Dolly Parton's Heartstrings
Don't F*** With Cats

This is just a sampling of the TV I consumed during 2019!  I started out in January by subscribing to Crave, a streaming service here in Canada that offers a lot of content you can't get on Netflix or Prime.  I was SO disappointed with their service, though.  I watched 6 seasons of GoT, Big Little Lies season 1, Castle Rock season 1, and The Handmaid's Tale before I gave up on it.  So not user friendly, and not well supported by my internet speed.  It was a waste of money, especially since the basic package didn't allow me to watch "new" stuff - I had to upgrade for an extra $10 a month... uh, no way jose!! So I never got to see the end of GoT, but I really don't friggin care.  Netflix provided me with ample content, with favourites being the limited series or docu-series' When They See Us, Unbelievable, and Don't F*** with Cats.  I also got into The Ranch and while it took a long time to catch with me, I finally got into it by season 3.  Also, leading up to Christmas I finally gave Nailed It! a shot and I LOVED it.  Pure mindless entertainment!!  Of course, there were lots of other bits and pieces here and there - a season of Shameless, a season of Outlander, Fuller House, etc. - but they are ongoing lol.

What I'm hoping to watch in 2020:

You (already in progress)
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Peaky Blinders
Grace & Frankie
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Schitts Creek
Virgin River and Spinning Out (already watched the first seasons of these shows in 2020 - hoping for second seasons of both!!!)

Books:

11/22/63 by Stephen King
The Home for Unwanted Girls by Joanna Goodman
Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto by Mitch Albom
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Ask Again, Yes by Mary Beth Keane
Doctor Sleep by Stephen King

Yes, you see that correctly - TWO Stephen King books in one year!  One to start the year, and one to end it.  And I really enjoyed both, they were highlights of my reading year.  I actually read 15 books this year, but this list are the ones that really stood out to me; the ones that I would recommend. 

What I'm looking forward to reading this year:

Into the Abyss by Carol Shaben (already in progress)
Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes
The Institute by Stephen King
The Chain by Adrian McKinty
The Child by Fiona Barton

There are SO many books on my shelf that I'm dying to get to - this is just a small snippet!  My goal is to read 15 books this year.  My system for the past few years has been to start with book club selections then move on to the rest.  I've already finished my first book of the year (started before Christmas, but finished in 2020) and I've already read the first book club book, so I'm on to the second one and really enjoying it.  I aim to make time for reading every day, since it's a hobby I truly enjoy.

Music:

Somebody's Daughter /Jersey on the Wall - Tenille Townes
You Say - Lauren Daigle
GIRL - Maren Morris
Whiskey Glasses (and many others) - Morgan Wallen
Take It All Back - Judah & The Lion
How I Want Ya - Hudson Thames ft. Hailee Steinfeld
Down to the Honkytonk - Jake Owen
Knockin Boots - Luke Bryan
Ladies in the '90's - Lauren Alaina
I Don't Care/ Beautiful People/ South of the Border - Ed Sheeran & guests
ME!/You Need to Calm Down/Lover/Paper Rings/London Boy - Taylor Swift
Memories - Maroon 5
Old Town Road - Lil Nas X ft. Billy Ray Cyrus
Beer Never Broke My Heart/Even Though I'm Leaving - Luke Combs
One Thing Right - Marshmello ft. Kane Brown
Circles - Post Malone
Old Hat - Jon Pardi
Redesigning Women/Loose Change/Crowded Table/Wheels of Laredo - The Highwomen
Good As Hell/Juice/Truth Hurts - Lizzo

You guys know I've always got the tunes going.  I love having music on while I clean or cook or bake or dance or ANYTHING!!  My big musical discoveries of 2019 go to Tenille Townes, Morgan Wallen, Luke Combs, The Highwomen, and Lizzo.  I also spent a lot of time with old faves Ed Sheeran and T.Swift, thanks to album drops from both of them.  But perhaps the most memorable of 2019 was not necessarily my favourite song, but hearing my nephew Noah ask repeatedly for "Horses in the Back" (Old Town Road) and watching him dance around to it.  Boy loves his Horses in the Back!!

My 2020 discovery so far: Tyler Childers.  I signed up for Apple Music, and thus far most of my listening time has gone to him.  Love.

Well, I think that's finally a wrap on the holiday/re-cap posts!  So ready to dive in to all the 2020 pop culture!! ;)


No comments: