Thursday, January 23, 2020

Jill Recommends...

Happy Thursday friends!  (Thursdays are my Fridays this time of year, so, officially my fave day of the week for a few months! woot!!)

So, I've been kind of taking stock lately of things I own (either items I've bought or gifts given to me) that I know weren't cheap, but that have been well worth the money spent.  You know what I mean, right?  In this age of online shopping (which I do FAR too often), I've learned that some buys are wins and some just aren't.  Some are big time wastes of money, especially when shopping online and you aren't 100% sure of what it looks like in person. 

Here are some of the "wins": Things I (or someone I love) has spent money on in the past few years that I have made max use out of, and would recommend to anyone!

Moccasin Slippers
This was actually a craft workshop that I took with a group of friends a few years ago.  A local woman learned the technique of making authentic moccasins from the Indigenous people when she lived out west, and is now teaching it in our area.  It was fairly expensive (I can't remember exactly, but in the $100 range I believe) to take the workshop, and we only made ONE moccasin that day.  But we were sent home with the materials and the knowledge, and I actually went straight home and made the second one right away.  I was exhausted and loathed my slippers that day, because my fingers were so sore and I was going bug-eyed staring at them.  Tedious work.  But I have worn those slippers on almost a daily basis since.  They are well worn, and yet have stood up well.  They are still in great shape.  It also made me appreciate the cost of just buying a pair ( I swore after that I would never make my own again, and I certainly now understand the price tag on them!)
(I am wearing the moccasins in this photo - along with super awesome pineapple leggings, twinning with my niece!!)

Winter Coat
I had a goal this winter of buying myself a decent winter coat.  I have my Mountainview coat, which I've used as my only winter coat in recent years, but I've always felt I should have another one, not just my work one.  Back in the fall, I bought a winter coat from Rickis online, and it was just OK.  I liked it, but there were features I didn't love.  Then just before Christmas, one of the snap buttons pulled out and left a gaping hole.  I know it was fixable, but it pissed me off.  When you spend that much money on a coat, you don't want it to start falling apart within a month.  My mom told me she could fix it for me, but she was busy over the holidays so I was just letting it go.
Then I went shopping at Bayshore with a friend just before the New Year, and I spotted a coat on sale at Reitmans.  It was marked down 50%, but still would cost me $120.  I loved it.  As soon as I put it on, it felt good, and I loved the look of it.  But I kept thinking, "I can't buy ANOTHER winter coat, that's crazy."  Battling with that thought was the voice of my Aunt Marion saying, "If you love something, you should buy it.  Always."  I decided Aunt Marion has never led me astray, so I bought the coat.  And I have not regretted it for one second after that initial hesitation.  I love it.
I don't have a decent pic of me wearing the coat that actually shows it all - this is a photo from their Facebook page

Winter Boots
Last winter, boots were the bane of my existence.  I "made do" with an old pair that had holes in them and a pair a friend passed on to me, but putting on boots was, like, my LEAST favourite part of the day.  I swore this year I was going to invest in some that I actually liked and were easy to put on.  I ordered two pairs on Amazon - one nicer pair (but still good for every day use) and one pair of what I call my "grandma boots".  Amazon purchases can be iffy - especially footwear - but both ended up being winners!!  And it is incredible how much life improves when one is not dreading putting on one's boots every single day! LOL!


Sideways Cross Necklace
My sister had a Stella & Dot jewelry party back in the fall, and I whispered to my mom that if she was looking for a Christmas gift idea for me, I loved the silver sideways cross necklace.  I've always wanted a sideways cross.  And I have worn it almost every day since I opened it Christmas morning!!

Saje Wellness Oils (especially Peppermint Halo)
Can't stress enough how much Peppermint Halo has saved me over the past year, as it has become the only remedy that eases my sinus headaches.  There are other oils in the little kit I have used a few times - Pain Release on my sore back, Immune on my chest when I feel a cold coming on... but Peppermint Halo has been by far my most used.  A friend gave me another little kit she had just before Christmas, which was really nice because I was running low on Peppermint Halo and it's not cheap.  ($28 for the wand, and it does last quite a while so I guess it's not THAT expensive... definitely well worth it in my case.)

Amazon Fire Stick
I already had a Google Chromecast, which worked perfectly well, when I bought the Amazon Fire Stick last year.  Why get a second do-dad that turns my regular TV into a Smart TV?  Because I wanted Amazon Prime, and of course the Google platform doesn't support it.  The Fire Stick has allowed me access to pretty much anything I could dream of (Netflix, Prime, Crave, Disney +, YouTube, and so on...)  I use it every single day.  (And I still have the Chromecast on my bedroom TV, it still works great too, I just don't watch as much TV in bed as I do in the living room.)

Bluetooth Speaker
My brother-in-law got me this as a Christmas gift three or four years ago now, and it is used daily.  It connects to my iPhone via Bluetooth, and it has nice volume and lasts a long time each time it is charged.  I thought when I got the Echo Dot and Alexa was in my home, I'd use it less, but it is still my go-to speaker.  I also use it to listen to podcasts.  Works like a charm.

Fitbit Charge 2
My family gave me my Fitbit for my birthday two summers ago, and I admit, for months it was pointless.  I wasn't even trying to hit 10,000 steps a day at the time, and I basically just checked it to see my sleep patterns.  But last year, my Lenten promise was to wake up every morning half an hour early to do a light workout, and to hit 10,000 steps a day.  The Fitbit became my daily companion as I tracked (and succeeded!)  While I haven't been quite as committed to it as I was during that Lenten period, I have definitely used it much more faithfully, and it has been a great tool to keep me on the right path when it comes to being more active.

Daily Ritual Terry Hooded Tunic
Buying clothing from Amazon is soooo iffy.  I hardly ever do it because I've been burnt too many times with stuff that takes forever to come from China that ends up not fitting.  But Daily Ritual is the Amazon brand, it doesn't take forever to ship to you, and it is pretty decent quality and prices from what I hear!  I bought this hoodie in black, it is long enough to cover my butt when I'm wearing leggings, and according to my mom it is slimming on me.  Score!!

Snowshoes & Poles
I guess it's been four or five years now since I invested in a pair of my own snowshoes & poles (after borrowing from a friend several times), and I have tried very hard to make good use of them!  I actually didn't get a high-end set - just cheapies from Amazon (less than $100 at the time), but I wasn't sure I would use them much so I didn't want to sink a lot of coin into them.  I now know that I use them enough, so when the time comes, I'll definitely look into a better pair.  These, though, have been a great set for such a low cost!  I have used them quite a bit in winter months, and they are only now starting to show some rust on the buckle parts.  I admit I was slow to get started with them this season but I've been out twice this week, and I'm planning to go at lunch today, so... snowshoeing is happening!!

Reading Socks
I could just about drool over anything cozy and hygge, so I have hearts in my eyes when I see the plush reading socks at Chapters.  Full price, though?  Crazy.  I couldn't do it.  $35-40 for a pair of thick socks?  No way Jose.  But I saw these on sale after Christmas for $12.99 and I jumped.  And I've worn them a lot since.  (Hibernating season = Reading Sock season).  While I couldn't justify them at full price, they have been well worth the reduced price tag!
(wearing them in this photo - eating, not reading. natch.)
Starbucks Tumbler
Ahhh my beloved Starbucks cup.  A Christmas gift from a friend several years ago, it has stood the test of time.  It is much more durable than the cheaper plastic versions I have bought at Walmart in the past.  It has survived many drops.  I drink a ton of water, and it's big enough that I don't have to refill it every half hour.  I adore it.

Optic Scarf
I bought this from Norwex last spring, and at the time I was like "yikes. expensive." (and it was on sale!)  But I clipped it to my purse, and I have turned to it SO often to clean my glasses, I can't even explain.  It is so handy to have right there on my purse, and it works like a charm every time to clean smudges or spots.  Well worth the money spent!

What are the items in your lift that you feel are worth investing in?  The things that might cost a little more but are well worth it? 

No comments: