Wednesday, September 25, 2019

My time of year is here!

Ahhhh!  I cannot tell you guys how HAPPY I am that Fall is here!  Some days are still a little too warm for my liking, but otherwise, I am happily sinking in to my favourite time of year.  I'm absolutely giddy thinking of all the fun things this season brings!!

  • I decorated for fall last Saturday morning, and I just love the cozy feel and the colours.  I didn't plan to do it that day - especially since it was extremely hot that day, and sure didn't feel like fall - but I was so glad once it was done.  
  • I crochet year-round, but I sure do enjoy it more in the fall and winter.  I thought it might be neat to incorporate some fall crocheted items to my home decor, so I looked up some patterns for crocheted pumpkins.  I finished my first one last night, and now I'm excited to make more!!  
  • I know this is going against everything most people believe in, but I just LOVE that it gets dark earlier this time of year.  Cozying up to crochet, watch TV, read... so much easier to do all of that when it's dark out!  I just feel this obligation in the summer to get out and enjoy the sun.  So when the sun goes to bed earlier, I don't have to. lol
  • Cooking/baking fall foods is also one of my favourite things to do!  After a hot summer of throwing together easy suppers that don't involve real cooking, I am DYING to make real things.  Fall comfort foods.  This week alone, I've done tomato soup & grilled cheese, and spaghetti.  I want to make meatballs and sloppy joes and big pots of soup and chili.  I want to bake pumpkin bread and beer bread and scones.  I want to eat ALL THE FALL FOODS!
  • As I mentioned, it's still been kind of warm out, but I've had days where I could dig out the leggings and cozy sweaters.  I'm still going bare foot as much as possible, but I can't wait until I can pull on those slippers and fuzzy socks, too.  Bring me all the HYGGE!!!!  
  • I am literally DAYDREAMING about Thanksgiving dinner.  It is so long between Christmas and Thanskgiving. lol  We've had a lot of family BBQ's this summer, so I've had my fill of burgers and dogs and summer fun stuff like that.  I'm ready for the turkey and stuffing and mashed potatoes and gravy!!!
  • It's a small thing, but I love replacing all the Scentsy warmers in my house with season-appropriate scents.  All of mine are still filled with summer smells, but I plan to change that this weekend.  Pumpkin Roll and Honey Pear Cider will be coming out!
  • The crunch of the leaves under my feet.  I'm JUST starting to get a bit of that on my lunch time walks.  Isn't it just one of life's greatest little pleasures?!?
  • CAR RALLY!!! Easily, the best fall event EVER!!!  It's set for October 19th, and we have our time booked.  And I can't wait!!
  • It's also that time of year when I decide it's "fun" to spook myself.  Why?  WHY??  I don't know.  It's not even October yet, and I am combating the urge to watch scary stuff.  I burnt myself out on it last year big-time, so I promised myself that this year I would be more careful.  Not too much.  And stick to what I know.   It's why I chose Arachnaphobia for Scary Movie Marathon - because I remember it from my childhood, and I don't think it's THAT scary. But then my friend Caryl sent me something on FB about Freddy Krueger, and I said, "Would you believe I've never seen The Nightmare on Elm Street OR Friday the 13th?" And she couldn't believe it.  So that resulted in me ordering both of those DVD's from Amazon.  Also, I keep thinking I want to watch The Cabin in the Woods on Amazon (it's leaving in October, so it will probably be one of the first scary movies I watch).  And I ALSO have this weird desire to re-watch The Haunting of Hill House, the Netflix series that scared the bejesus out of me last year and had me fearing the bent-neck lady for months.  Why? WHY?????
  • I'm also resisting the urge to buy Halloween candy.  It started appearing in the stores about a month ago, and every time I shop, I'm tempted.  I keep reminding myself to wait until at least October.  So hard to resist those little chocolate bars!
  • And oh, how I look forward to Halloween!  And I even have my costume ready to roll!!  This is a record for me.  I'm usually scrambling last-minute to cobble something together, so I'm proud of myself for getting my act together early.  Now I can just sit back and get excited!!! :)
September, as I've mentioned before, is not one of my favourite months of the year, and this one especially has felt long and has been a bit of a struggle.  For that reason, I'm certainly celebrating the turn of the seasons, rejoicing in the cold-weather things that I love, and anxiously looking forward to turning the page on the calendar.  Bring on OCTOBER!! :)

No comments: