Thursday, September 26, 2019

I Love a Rainy Day

Ohhhh it was difficult to roll myself out of bed this morning.  It's been hard the last few weeks, waking up to the dark, but add to it this morning the gentle patter of raindrops hitting my window, and it was damn near impossible to get myself up for my little morning workout.  I had to dig deep to get 'er done.

While it's difficult to get up and motivated, I really do love a dreary, rainy day.  Even when I have to come to work, I love being inside, when the phones are quiet, looking out the big office windows at the rain falling, when it's so grey outside that the computer screens seem extra bright inside.  There's something quite cozy and calming about it.

However, IDEALLY, I'd spend this grey, rainy day, enjoying it at home.  I even confessed to Lindsay this morning that it was very tempting to suddenly "feel sick" this morning.  *cough*cough* LOL! 

The rainy day daydream goes something like this:

I'd lie in bed for a while just listening to the rain falling outside.  I wouldn't sleep in or lounge in bed all day, by any means, but I'd just take some extra time lying there listening to one of the most relaxing sounds in the world.

Just as the sky is brightening a little, I'd get up and throw a warm sweater on over my pj's, then head downstairs to sip my coffee curled up on the couch.  If I felt really ambitious, I'd make pancakes for breakfast, but today, I don't really feel that ambitious.  I think I'd just settle for the coffee. Maybe a piece of toast with Map-O-Spread.  Light up the Scentsy warmers and my candles.  Then settle in to watch last night's Jimmy Fallon, Big Brother finale, and Survivor premiere.

Once all caught up on my shows, I'd get dressed, something cozy.  Leggings and a sweater.  Maybe today I'd put on fuzzy socks for the first time this season.  (Here at work... still barefoot. lol)  Then I'd grab my book (The Widow by Fiona Barton) and cuddle up in my big armchair to read for a while.  It's kind of a dark, mystery novel, so just perfect for this kind of day.

Then, I'd start the Movie Marathon.  As I always mention this time of year, I've reached the stage where I'm wanting to watch spooky stuff.  And it's always easier to watch that kind of stuff during daylight, so perfect timing!  I'd pull some of my favourites from my DVD shelf:  The Sixth Sense, The Shining, The Amityville Horror, Stir of Echoes, Pet Sematary.  Sticking with what I know, because it's less scary, but still chilling nonetheless.  I'd take a break to make lunch - probably a pot of macaroni, tomato soup & cheese whiz, my favourite rainy day/snow day lunch - and then I might also pause to whip up some pumpkin bread.  For the rest of the afternoon, I'd make a big bowl of buttery popcorn to snack on while continuing on with the movies.  And I'd definitely make sure to watch the old Disney version of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, it's perfect for a day like this!

Oh, and I'd be crocheting too!  Remember I said I was excited to make more pumpkins?  Well, this week has not allowed for much crocheting.  Last night I went to Eric's last Spirit Cafe where he talked about his trip to Egypt, and tonight I have another church meeting, so I haven't had much evening time to spend crafting.  I'd definitely take advantage of a whole rainy day to do so!!

There might be a nap, mid-afternoon.  One of those really great, satisfying, not-too-long naps that you wake from feeling so good, so refreshed, so perfectly content.  There would probably be more reading.  A mug of tea or hot chocolate.  There would likely even be a break in there to watch The Price Is Right, because what weekday off is complete without The Price Is Right?  OH! And ALSO!!  I haven't been listening to any podcasts lately, which I love to do while I'm crocheting, so I might try to squeeze some of that in there too!

I might be trying to squeeze too much into my lazy rainy day off.  In fact, I'm quite certain there are not enough hours in the day to do everything I've fantasized about above.

But the thoughts of this day?  This wonderful rainy day?  It makes me so happy.  So cozy.  So content.

Do you love a rainy day, or do you find them depressing?  What would you do if you were home on a rainy, dreary day?

Happy Rain Day, friends! :)

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I actually got up early just to lay in my bed and listen to the rain this morning! I wish I was home too...especially when you get a text from a parent friend saying my kid is soaking wet because despite the rain, they went running for Terry Fox and well now has wet clothes. Mom to the rescue, sent her to the Family Centre to get him dry clothes!
So yes, I would love a rainy day at home too!