Wednesday, August 14, 2019

What I'm Loving Wednesday: Summer Loves

I've been thinking the past week or so of some of the things I've been LOVING lately, and this summer in general.  Here's a little list of them!

  • My shades - I never buy expensive sunglasses, because they usually get scratched or broken or lost.  So every spring, I get a new pair from Walmart or the pharmacy or whatever.  This year, I happened upon discounted sunnies on the Rickis website and bought a few pairs on a whim.  I had low expectations without seeing them in person, but they've been great!  And so far in good shape, so maybe I won't even need to buy new ones next year!!
  • Jean shorts & luxe swing tops from Old Navy - I admit, as last winter started to fade and spring sprung, I was dreading getting into summer clothing.  I'm just so much more comfortable in leggings and sweaters, being completely covered up and hidden.  But I bought a few pairs of jean shorts from Old Navy that ended up fitting perfectly, and I love their luxe swing tank tops for being loose, cool, and hiding my unflattering very large muffin top.  I have two pairs of the shorts and the top in four different colours, and I have worn all of them a lot.  
  • Pineapple earrings from Newborn Feathers - My friend Sharon had a Facebook jewelry party back early in the summer, and I ordered a few pairs of the earrings.  I have loved them so much that I've ordered twice more since then, and I am now currently hosting my own online party!  I've loved all of the earrings I've bought so far, but my rose gold pineapples have been the ones I've worn the most. They are so much fun for the summer!
  • Coconut Body Butter from The Body Shop - This was a birthday gift from my sister, and oh, how I've been enjoying it.  I love the smell of summer, and I've realized that mostly means I love the smell of sunscreen lol.  The coconutty scent of the body butter is delicious, and I love how it's helping to moisturizer my tanned skin.  
  • My sandals - This was another online purchase in the spring that worked out SO well.  But I didn't think so initially.  I used to have a pair of black Nike sports sandals that were my most comfy sandals.  A few years ago they broke, and I never replaced them.  I decided for work this year I'd like to find another pair that I could wear comfortably all day long.  I ordered a pair of Under Armour sandals through Amazon, and at first I thought they were a mistake.  The straps were so tight on the top of my feet that they dug in and left painful marks.  But I persevered in the hopes that the straps would stretch a little, and they DID!  A week later they were perfectly comfy and now, several months later, they still look brand new and haven't worn down hardly at all.  Pretty impressive for sandals I've worn literally EVERY day since June!
  • My summer reads - I wanted to immerse myself in good summer books, and I have had a great few months of reading!  So far, I have read Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan, The Mister by EL James, Bossypants by Tina Fey, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid, and I'm now well into Ask Again, Yes by Mary Beth Keane.  I have read all of these relatively quickly (for someone who considers herself a slow reader, this is a victory!) and I've very much enjoyed them.  Nothing I love better than sitting in the sun on the back deck reading on a beautiful summer's day!
  • Big Brother - As I mentioned yesterday, it is my summer guilty pleasure.  I usually backlog the episodes and watch the whole week's worth on Saturday morning.  It took me a while to get "into" this summer's cast, but as usual, I eventually got caught up in their drama!  (And I'm a Michie fan. Even though he seems to have fallen from grace in there, I'm still rooting for him.)
  • My summer jams - Every summer needs a soundtrack, and here's a few that make up mine!  
    • One Thing Right - Marshmello & Kane Brown
    • The soundtrack for the movie Yesterday
    • Ed Sheeran's No. 6 Collaborations album (especially South of the Border ft. Camilla Cabello and Cardi B)
    • You Need to Calm Down - Taylor Swift
    • Beer Never Broke My Heart - Luke Combs
    • Greatest Love Story - LANCO
    • Knockin' Boots - Luke Bryan
    • Somebody's Daughter - Tenille Townes
    • Down to the Honky Tonk - Jake Owens
    • And honourable mention to Old Town Road by Lil Nas X and Billy Ray Cyrus, because my 4-year-old nephew asks me to play it on my phone every weekend and asks, "Do you got the 10 hour version, Jilly?"  And none of us knows what he's talking about, but no, buddy, I definitely do not have the 10 hour version. LOL!
  • My glider - I mentioned it yesterday, and I've only had it a few weeks, but it has been a wonderful addition to my deck and I am so grateful to my friend Lindsay and her family for gifting it to me.  I just love gliding and reading on my deck!
  • Chipstand & Ice cream dates - My waistline is waiting for the day when these places close, but my gosh there's nothing I love better than a summer evening spent either at Robert's chipstand or at Marcotte's ice cream (or sometimes both.)  
What are YOU loving about summer??

No comments: