Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Wednesday Medley: Let 'er fly

It's been a strange day so far!  I got up early to do my workout, as usual, and it was just in time for an early morning storm that rolled in.  The power went out once, but otherwise I was able to complete my workout amidst the thunder and lightening.  I got myself ready and was just heading downstairs to grab my lunch when I got a text from my boss saying the power was out at the office, no point in coming in until it was back on.  Hydro was estimating 10:30.  So I went to my mom's for a longer-than-usual breakfast before returning home to wait for a text.  I settled in with my book and read for about an hour, when I got the text to say the power was back on.  So I'm here at my desk, and it feels so strange to be doing my normal routine an hour later!

In any case... I'm going to squeeze in a quick Wednesday Medley post today!


1. Tell us about the first airplane ride you took and do you like to fly?

My first time on a plane was in January 2011, when I went to Cuba with friends for Kerry-Lynn & Jeff's wedding.  I was very nervous being my first time flying, and my first time going south, but after losing two of my cousins suddenly the summer before, it was very much a "life is short, seize the moment, live each day to the fullest" time in my life.  I remember sitting beside Brittany and holding her hand (kind of funny that I was taking comfort and consolation in the flying experience of a kid who was much younger than me lol!), and she kept reassuring me that every bump and movement was normal. 

I have flown several times since (once to Florida, twice to Nova Scotia) and while the flights have been mostly uneventful, I am always very happy when we land safely and I can move on to my destination.  I'm not a fan of the airport rigmarole or flying in general, but I take it as a necessary step to get me somewhere fun & exciting (or back home again, which I'm usually very happy to return to!)

2. Have you ever gone hang gliding and was it on the beach with a power boat, or from a mountain with only the wind and your body?

That would be a hard no on the hang gliding. lol!  If  I was to do it, I'd be more tempted to try the behind-the-boat style.  I've watched them gliding off the Gatineau Hills near where my sister lives, and I think I'd be panicking.  I'd be so worried about where I'd land!!  (Maybe they have more control over that than I realize?)

3. Have you ever gone kite flying and with whom?

I can't say kite flying memories are rushing to me.  I'm sure I did it as a kid, but the few times I tried, I don't feel it was very successful.

4. Experimental aircraft is quite popular as a hobby.  Have you or anyone you know ever constructed a flying machine and did you ride in it?

I definitely don't know anyone who has constructed a flying machine lol.  I have an uncle who owns an airplane, but I have never been up in it (and I don't think I would want to, either!!)

5. Another big hobby is Radio Controlled Airplanes.  Have you ever seen them flying or tried your hand at it?

Nope! BUT - there is a guy who usually shows up at our office every summer asking if he and his friends can fly their radio controlled planes in one of our fields.  I have never witnessed them at it, though.  I have never even seen a drone.  I apparently don't have much experience in this department! lol!!

6.  Tell us something about your week.

This was supposed to be Crochet Week.  I told anyone that would listen that I planned to devote every evening and all weekend to crocheting items to enter in the Shawville Fair.  I was supposed to be doing this all summer, but... here we are, a week away from the Fair, and hardly anything to show for it.  And so far this week?  Much of the same.  I am working on a baby blanket, but I haven't spent much time on it. I'm hoping that maybe I can get it done tonight, then move on to a dish cloth & towel set, maybe another toddler sunhat, and possibly a women's scarf (all smaller projects that I thought I might be able to get done in a short amount of time).  Here's hoping I get hit with some cro-jo soon!!!

No comments: