Tuesday, November 20, 2018

It's beginning to feel a lot like...

As I sit here this morning, a beautiful snow-globe snow falling outside my window, sipping a rich and steamy mug of hot chocolate, it just feels like it.  Like you-know-what.

Christmas.

And yet, it's still only November 20th.  Still several days away from American Thanksgiving.  Still over a week away from the Mountainview Christmas Party, which is usually considered my official "I'm allowed to go Christmas Crazy!" day.

But it feels like it.  Oh, it feels like it SO MUCH!!!

I know part of my reason for being in the spirit extra-early this year is the snow.  Snow = Christmas for me.  And there have been other years where we're still cutting sod at this time of year.  The snow has come earlier than usual.  And for a snow-lovin' girl like me, it's absolute bliss.

But I also now have two Christmas-prep weekends under my belt, and that has definitely added to it as well.  I'm feeling more ready than ever at this stage of the game.   My house is now completely decorated, and  I have only a few gifts and stocking stuffers left to buy.  I got a great start on everything last weekend, and then tidied up loose ends this past weekend.  I took advantage of what will likely be the last quiet, low-key weekend before the holiday season is in full swing, and got some serious checks on the to-do list.

Last Thursday evening, my friend Sharon had invited me to join her at the Indigo Chapters After-Hours event being held at the Pinecrest location, where almost everything in the store was marked down 30%.  I enjoyed my first holiday cup of Starbucks joy of the season and was able to pick up a few more gifts and stocking stuffers while we were there.  However, for some reason, I had dressed for the tundra, and I was so hot and sweaty as we rambled around the store, that when Sharon said, "I think I'm done" I was just like, "yep me too."  The crowds had gotten crazy so we peaced out.  We got home just as the snow was starting to fall, and I was so wound up when I got home that I lay awake reading for much longer than I normally would have.  I think I was probably asleep by 1 AM. 



So, the next day was a snowy day, as the weatherman had predicted.  The snow that had started overnight had accumulated, and continued to fall all day.  Our first "real" snow fall of the season.  My heart was happy, even though the rest of me was very tired! haha!  But I took advantage of the first really quiet day in the office to cut out my snowflakes, and when I got home from work, I put them up on the door.  That was one of my to-do's for the weekend, so it was nice to have it done right away!  Then I curled up on the couch, put on one of those cheesy Christmas movies on Netflix, and checked out for a few hours.When I woke up, I got up and ready and headed to girls night at my friend Vicky's,  We snacked and chatted for a few hours, and I enjoyed the evening out.

The next morning, I was up fairly early, but had nothing major to do but a few odd jobs around home, so I took it easy.  A leisurely cup of coffee while I caught up on Jimmy Fallon and Grey's Anatomy, washed my bedding, and worked on the crocheted dish cloths I was making for our church's fundraiser Harvest Basket.  Then I got busy knocking some more things off my list:  I put away laundry, did dishes, put the garland on the banister, made pumpkin bread (also part of my contribution to the Harvest Basket), put up the snowflakes on the ceiling in my living room, changed one of the outdoor lights that had burnt out at my house, finished my dish cloths, repaired one of my broken Christmas decorations, and tidied up the house.  It felt good to get so many little odd jobs done, things I had been putting off all week.  I joined my mom for supper and spent some time at her place before coming home and enjoying a quiet evening at home, watching The Nightmare Before Christmas (usually one of my first Christmas movies I watch because it ties in Halloween and Christmas) and episodes of New Girl, doing more crocheting, and reading Harry Potter.  It was also the first time I "lit up" my living room fully - the tree, all my light-up decorations, candles - anything that "glows" was on!  I just love how magical it looks and feels!!



Sunday morning I watched SNL on the PVR and worked on a crocheted Christmas gift until I ran out of the yarn I needed.  I got ready and headed over to church, where we had a really nice service, I put Baby Finn to sleep in my arms which was a wonderful feeling, and we did the draw for our Harvest fundraiser.  After church, we headed down to my sisters for brunch, and the whole fam-jam gathered.  We stayed there just chatting and visiting until late afternoon.  My mom and I headed into Hull so I could pick up a few more of my "Christmas Prep" necessities.  I got my gift for a decoration exchange this weekend, and also got all the baking essentials I needed at Wal-Mart and the Bulk Barn so that I can begin my Christmas baking.  Yet another huge CHECK!!

Once we were done shopping, we went to the movie theatre where my sister's family met us and we all went to see the new Grinch movie.  It was super-cute and we really enjoyed it, of course just adding to my festive mood!  I just LOVE going to the movies, and when it's a Christmas movie... even better!!

So it was a super-productive yet quiet and relaxing weekend all at the same time, and I just LOVE those kinds of weekends!  This week, I'm gearing up and getting myself ready, as I am hosting a Christmas potluck for a group of my friends on Saturday.  It's the first Christmas party of the season, and I can't wait!  Let the hollying and jollying commence!!  For REAL!! :)

1 comment:

Rev. Nancy said...

I was thinking of you and the snow globe in that relentless snow and wind the other day