Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Burnt Out on the Spooky

Well, here we are, the day before Halloween, and I can honestly say... I've done too much of the spooky stuff.  WAYYYY too much of the spooky stuff. 

I have completely burnt myself out, to the point where last night I settled in to start the new Netflix series The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and I had to shut it off half an episode in.  I instead opted to watch the animated movie Monster House, and I thought even it was a little too scary.  It could traumatize children! (or 35-year-olds...)

I blame The Visit.  And The Haunting of Hill House.  And Scary Movie Marathon.  And all the other scary movies and shows in between.  I just went too hard this year, tried to watch too much scary stuff throughout the month of October, and I'm so done.  I just want Christmas movies to start so I can sleep without listening for noises and catching sight of shadows out of the corner of my eye.

Don't get me wrong.  I still love Halloween, and I've had a lot of fun gearing up and getting ready for it.  I've had my costume ready and waiting since mid-September, I've been stocking up on Halloween candy for weeks and made up my treat bags on the weekend, I had a fun evening carving pumpkins and roasting pumpkin seeds with my mom on Friday, and despite the scary movies, I had a great time with Lindsay, Ryan, Sam & Lainey eating treats and pizza and having a fun day on Saturday.

But it took me a long time to shake off the heebie-jeebies from watching The Visit earlier this month.  And I still don't understand how I got so sucked in to The Haunting of Hill House when it bothered me so much afterwards.  I mean, I'm still worried the Bent Neck Lady is going to appear at the end of my bed every night, and I finished watching the series a week ago.

For Scary Movie Marathon, I picked two movies I'd already seen so that it would be "easier" for me.  I made it through A Quiet Place fine (while it's an hour and a half of anxiety and holding my breath, I still believe it's one of the best, most creative movies I've ever seen), but I struggled with It.  I saw it in theatre over a year ago with a bunch of friends, and maybe that's why my memories weren't so bad?  All the giggles and laughter on the way home erased how traumatizing it was?  I don't know.  But it certainly bothered me on Saturday, to the point where I kept saying to Lindsay, "Do you want to shut it off?  I don't mind if you want to shut it off."  I was almost a little disappointed when she insisted she would be okay.

Too much.  Wayyyyy too much.

So, tonight is Mat Night, and ideally, it's the perfect night to settle in with a big bowl of buttery popcorn, turn the lights out, and watch something scary.  At the moment, I'm undecided.  I have been saving one of my favourites for this night, Halloween: H20, but I honestly don't know if I can handle it.  Even though I've seen it a million times before.  Even though I know exactly when the jump-scares are coming. Even though it features a young and incredibly handsome Josh Hartnett.  I honestly think I might have to ditch it and just watch Casper instead.


Scary movie burn-out.  I didn't know it was a thing, but it's definitely a thing.  And I have it.

I just have to hang in for a few more days.  Christmas movies are in the near future.  I'm ready to leave the ghosts and monsters behind.

Let's go, November.

2 comments:

Rev. Nancy said...

Jillian, you make me laugh every year. Why on earth do you do it to yourself? Happy Halloween, my friend!

Mrs. Match said...

I cannot do scary. The scariest thing I watch at Halloween is Hocus Pocus, and even them I'm a little scared, ha! I have to say, I'm ready for November and the Thanksgiving stuff. We just decked our house out for Fall, and I'm loving it.