Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Random Ramblings on a Wednesday


  • Well, I was getting all geared up for fall.  Last week, the temperatures finally dipped a bit and I was feeling it.  I was envisioning cozy days curled up crocheting, I saw a list on another blog of perfect "Fall Movies" so I ordered a couple that were super-cheap on Amazon, I ordered some new fall clothes from Rickis.  I was already daydreaming about cups of tea and pumpkin spice treats and making pots of soup.  But now, a September heatwave is upon us.  The next five days are to be hot and muggy, so I guess I'd better put my Fall excitement on hold for another little while. *sigh*
  • I've been battling a sinusy headache all week.  Just a weird sinus pressure and face-tingling on Monday, a headache that developed late yesterday afternoon and was pretty intense all evening, and then woke up with it again this morning. ugh.
  • On Saturday, I went to a moccasin making workshop with some ladies, and we had a fun day.  I found the process of sewing to be a mostly relaxing experience, with only a few meltdowns lol!  However, it was a more challenging task than I expected, and by the time the class was over, we were all going home with only one moccasin - we had to make the other one ourselves.  I was worried I'd forget the process and I was anxious to wear both of my new slippers, so I decided to dive right in as soon as I got home, for fear I'd never do it if I didn't do it right away.  That was probably a mistake.  By the time I was finished around 7 PM, my fingers ached, I had stabbed myself with the needle multiple times and I was bleeding, I had roared out loud several times, and I was exhausted.  I really hated my slippers in that moment.  Thankfully, I got over the frustration and I really like them now.  I guess the final verdict is that the end result is worth it.
  • Saturday night, my plan was to have a Jurassic Park night.  I found the original on DVD for $4.99 at Giant Tiger, and Jurassic World is on Netflix, so my plan was to watch both.  I saw the original as a kid, but I'd forgotten most of it, and Chris Pratt is in the new one - which is leaving Netflix at the end of the month, apparently - so I wanted to see it. (Chris Pratt crush still goin' strong.)  Well, after my moccasin frustration I was so wiped out that I slept through the original and didn't even bother putting on the new one.  Back to the Jurassic Park drawing board this weekend, I guess.
  • Above, I mentioned the "Fall Movies" I ordered.  Three of them that jumped out at me as being movies I've either never seen or have forgotten were Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail, and When Harry Met Sally.  Sleepless is on Netflix, the other two were super cheap on Amazon, so I'm excited to have a girlie Fall movie marathon one of these days in the coming weeks.



  • Also above, I mentioned a Rickis order for my fall wardrobe.  It arrived yesterday and I was super-happy with about half of it.  I was a little disappointed that I ordered two plaid shirts that were both just the teeniest smidge too snug on me.  I love everything about these tops - the length, the colour, the style - but I'm afraid after washing, they'll shrink.  I looked online this morning and they are no longer available in the size larger.  I'm in a conundrum.  Keep them and try harder to lose a little weight?  (By try harder, I mean, just TRY. Like, at all.)  Or return them?  What to do, what to do...

  • Last night while I was crocheting, I put on old episodes of Unsolved Mysteries that are on Amazon Prime.  I didn't want to watch Parks & Rec because I miss too much of it when I'm crocheting.  I just wanted something fun that I didn't have to pay too much attention to.  As it turns out?  Unsolved Mysteries freaks me out as much now as it did 25 years ago.  I had to shut it off it was spooking me so much.
  • I need someone to confiscate my credit cards.  Too much spending going down lately.  Between Amazon, yarn, Rickis, and a new Halloween costume on order, I've sunk myself right back into another little hole. At this stage in the game, and with Christmas shopping coming into view, I think we can go ahead and call The Year of Saving a GIANT failure. 
  • So, I've been trying to wean myself off Facebook a bit lately.  Not giving it up altogether, but just trying to limit the number of times a day I look at it, especially at work.  I just realized that basically anytime there's down time or a quiet moment, I'm scrolling through it steady.  And far too often, I let things I see on there effect my mood.  It's a tough habit to break, though.  I find myself turning to it almost subconsciously.  How sad is that, to be so dependent on a social media platform?  As the days go by, it's getting easier.  I just give myself little pep talks.  "No, you don't need to look at FB right now.  Find something else to do.  Look for something more productive to do."  I think I'll be a happier person if I spend less time thinking and worrying about it.  
Well, that's about all that's going on in my brain today.  Happy Wednesday, friends!!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

They say that FB draws you in because you get dopamine (or something like that) every time someone likes or comments on something you post. They relate it to a drug sometimes :). I've been trying to get away from it too.

I like the shirts. You could always wash in cold water and then just hang to dry... as a thought anyway.