Friday, August 24, 2018

August: Currently...

Summer feels like it's slipping through my fingers at lightening speed.  Like, seriously, where did June, July & August go??  Before August completely disappears, I thought I'd do a "Currently" post to share what I'm into these days.  I have blogged so little this summer, I haven't been keeping up with sharing my current faves! So here we go:

Listening to... a lot of random stuff right now.  Drake's "In My Feelings" is my summer jam, as well as "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" by BSB.  Other summer faves include "2002" by Anne-Marie, "Alone" by Halsey, "I Know" by Jocelyn Alice, "Get Along" by Kenny Chesney, "I Like It" by Cardi B, and anything from Ashley McBryde's Girl Going Nowhere album.  I feel like when I look back on this summer, these songs will instantly come to mind. 

Eating...  A LOT.  ugh.  I'm on such an unhealthy track right now.  Not even trying to eat right these days.  Junk, junk, and more junk.  My favourite meal this summer, though, has been "snacks for supper".  Crackers with cream cheese and pepper jelly, cucumber slices soaked in vinegar, cheese, nuts... just a plate full of "little bits".  Last summer, I made nachos almost every second night, but this summer I've been all about the plate of snacks.

Drinking...  I made a drink discovery this summer!  Well, a drink re-discovery.  Every day I drink water like it's going out of style, and that has not changed, but when it comes to something boozey, I've struggled.  Palm Bays and Smirnoff Ices are too sweet, rum & cokes were okay but get me too drunk too quick, beer is blech, wine is even blechier... And then, my friend Chelsea reminded me that water and vodka makes a really refreshing drink when you add a squirt of liquid  drink flavouring to it! Brenda had once taught me to make "deck juice" years ago, which was water, Crystal Light, and booze, but I hadn't made it in a long time. I've been using Mio, and I've actually switched to coconut-flavoured rum in my drinks, and it is soooo good!!  But because it tastes so clean and refreshing, I have to be careful - I can down them very quickly and get pretty wobbly! haha!  The water though definitely helps with not feeling too hungover the next day.  Keeps you hydrated while enjoying a few on the deck.

Feeling...  not the best, if I'm being honest.  It's "that time of year".  Summer is fading, school will be starting for the kids next week, and I just feel yucky.  In knots and stressed and on the verge of tears, all while knowing that's absolutely stupid.  I really, really hate this time of year.

Reading...  I've been on a reading roll lately, and have really enjoyed my summer reads! Highlights have been "The Light Between Oceans" by ML Stedman, "Children of Blood and Bone" by Tomi Adeyemi, and "Thirteen Reasons Why" by Jay Asher, which I read in less than a week, pretty much a record for me.  I got a pile of books for my birthday, and currently I'm reading one my sister got me called "Three Days Missing" by Kimberley Belle.  So far, about a third of the way in, it seems to be fast-paced, suspenseful, and a real page-turner.  I can easily blow through a few chapters before falling asleep at bedtime.  It has me hooked.

Watching... I finished Season 3 of Outlander in a week, and it's always hard to find another show after finishing one I love that much.  But I started Parks & Recreation on Amazon Prime the other day, and it seems to be a great re-bound show for me.  I love Amy Poehler, she is hilarious, and I'm loving it.  Reminiscent of one of my other great TV loves, The Office.  This show was my main reason for signing up for Amazon Prime and getting a Fire Stick, so I'm happy to be finally watching it!

Wanting...  Not much these days, at least not materially!  Wanting this time of year to be over, already. Wanting the icky feeling that I get this time of year to pass.  Bring on Fall!  Oh, I am wanting a poutine from Big D's at the fair. That's something I really do want right now. Mmmm... (Did I mention my life revolves around junk food right now? sigh.)


Needing...  Again, not much!!  I am blessed in the fact that I have very few "needs" right now.  I guess one thing I could say is I need someone to install the new shower head I got for my birthday. lol!  I'm afraid if I try to install it myself, I'll mess it up. Oh, I need to buy some more yarn, too.  My niece Danica has made a specific request for certain colours for when I make her a blanket, and I don't have the colours she wants. lol!

Missing... Summer, already.  I know.  I'm a conundrum.  Danica said to me last week, "Jilly, I thought you liked fall and winter?  Why do you hate the end of summer so much?"  I know.  I KNOW.  But this has been a particularly good summer, and I hate to see it go.  And I hate back to school time.  I will miss this summer, once it's officially gone.  It has been a blast.

Enjoying...  My life right now!  I have had so much good going on lately!  Great times with friends and family, wonderful memories being made, just reminiscing about all the fun stuff I've done lately.  It's been wonderful, and despite my anxiety over the changing seasons, it's not over yet.  The weekend ahead should be another great one, with my cousin Kenny's wedding tomorrow, and then next weekend is Shawville Fair.  While I'm all in knots about the time of year, I know it will be these good times ahead that will keep me focused on living in the moment, enjoying the now, and looking forward to all the fun that is still to come.  I'm a lucky girl. :)


1 comment:

Annsterw said...

Sounds like you are living pretty awesome and content right now! What a blessed place to be! Have a great week! Annster's Domain