Friday, August 29, 2014

The Labour Day Weekend Plans

Happy Friday! And the Friday of a long weekend, no less! I’m so happy it’s finally here!

I’ve wracked my brain to try and come up with some confessions before going into the weekend, but honestly, I can’t come up with anything interesting. I’ve hit a little bit of writer’s block, I guess. So instead, I thought I’d just run thought I’d share some of the plans I have for this weekend!

happy_labour_day_canada_dock_postcard-p239447464661296142envli_4001 (1)

Tonight, I’m heading up to the Fair after work. My mom is working a shift in one of the exhibition halls, and I’ll be going up with her and meeting up with my friend Priscilla once we get there. I’m sure we’ll run into other friends while we’re touring around! The headliner tonight is Canadian classic rock band Chilliwack, and I have to admit, I know NOTHING by them. But Priscilla is a classic rock fan, and she says I’ll recognize some of their songs. Truthfully, I’m mostly going for the food, of course! My favourite reason to go to the Fair! ;) I’m thinking Billy T’s pizza, and possibly a Beavertail… Needless to say, all my meal-planning and calorie-counting is Fair-centric this weekend!

brkdwn Yep.  Sexy.  I know.

Saturday I had no plans to go to the Fair, and as it turns out, the weather is making that decision even easier. The weather man is calling for a showery, gloomy day, which sounds just perfect for lounging around, reading and watching movies! I got my grass cut earlier this week, I did a major housecleaning last weekend, so I have no major jobs to do.  I did get my post-Robin-Williams’-death parcel from Amazon this week, though, which means I have Mrs. Doubtfire and Patch Adams on DVD to watch. I’m also hoping to get some reading done. I started our next book club selection, The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay, a few weeks ago, and while I think it’s going to be a book I enjoy, I just haven’t had much time to get into it yet. I go to bed and plan to read each evening, but after a page or two, I’m head-bobbing. Hopefully the quiet, rainy Saturday will entice me to spend some quality time with my book. And last but not least, I will definitely be spending some time reviewing the questions we’ve come up with so far for Car Rally and brainstorming some more to add, as we still have a bit of work to do on our questions. I should have lots of time to play around with that, get some research done, and focus my full attention on it.

Originally my friends and I had plans to go out for dinner for my friend Stacy’s upcoming birthday, but that has been put on hold due to some last minute obstacles. Since I have absolutely no plans now, I’ve tossed around the idea of forgoing my quiet day at home in favour of heading instead to the city with some of the gift cards I received for my birthday to do a little shopping; possibly coerce my mom into joining me and going out for lunch or dinner as well. I’d like to get some additions for my fall/winter wardrobe, and with the busy weekends of birthdays and car rally planning ahead, I’m not sure when I might get another chance. As of right now, though, the lazy day at home sounds much better… We shall see how the spirit moves me!

On Sunday, I’ll go to church and likely out for brunch with the fam-jam, and then I shall excitedly anticipate heading up to the Fair again, this time with my friend Lindsay to see one of my fave country bands, Emerson Drive. They performed at the fair a few years ago (actually, more like 5 or 6 years ago now, I think?) - and they were awesome. They put on a great show, and I can’t wait to see them again! Another thing I can’t wait for? Heading to one of my favourite Fair food booths, Bonnie’s, for the delicious Barn Burger!! It was the highlight of my Fair experience last year, and I was so happy that Linds concurred that that is where we shall dine on Sunday. Once again, the forecast isn’t looking so hot – but I’ll dig out a raincoat and umbrella if I must. I don’t want to miss this one! This will also be the day I stop to pick up a bag of my favourite Fair treat: Cotton Candy! Yum!!

Emerson-Drive1

cotton candy

That brings us to Monday… Ah, nothing better than a Monday of a long weekend. That’s Demolition Derby day at the Fair, but I think I’ll probably skip it to bum around home. I’m looking forward to sleeping in, getting some laundry done, and who knows what else I might do on my day off. All I know is that I’m going to ENJOY it!!

Hope you all have a fabulous long weekend, and if you’re going to the Fair… I’ll see you there! :)

Fair image

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh I love Emerson Drive. They haven't come out with new stuff lately though so I figured they broke up. So cool to know they're still going! Sounds like a fun weekend planned!! I'm going to be working on my parents basement... yey me.

VandyJ said...

Sounds like you have the weekend all wrapped up. Have fun!
We have no major plans. Laundry and possibly a trip to the mountains is about all.