Thursday, October 15, 2020

Life Lately...

Here's a "life lately" update, live from the Red Zone!!
  • That's right.  On Sunday, the MRC I live in was moved to the "Red Zone".  Our province has a colour-coded alert system with varying restrictions, and due to rising case numbers in our area, we were Red Zone'd on Sunday.  Truly, it doesn't affect me all that much.  This level of alert means indoor dining rooms, bars, gyms, conference centres have to close... I haven't done anything but take-out since this all started, and we all know I don't go to a gym. ha!  It also means no private gatherings, but it does allow for people who live alone to have one visitor - so my mom and I are still good.  That has always been my main concern.
  • Being in the Red Zone meant a much smaller Thanksgiving this year, but we had already kind of planned on that anyways.  Mom still insisted on cooking a turkey, but we did not have the whole family around the table as usual.  Instead, we settled for an outdoor socially-distanced visit on Monday.  And I keep marveling at how far I've come since last spring.  6 months ago, this would have devastated me.  Now, I'm okay with it.  I can handle it.  I just hope we don't have to repeat these "very different holiday celebrations" for much longer.  

  • I managed to wound myself on Sunday. And, as usual for me, it is one of the most mysterious injuries ever.  Normal injuries don't happen to me, only weird ones.  I literally did nothing.  I was sitting almost all day.  Maybe that was the problem?  I don't know, but late afternoon, I developed a very sore leg.  Specifically behind my right knee, like it was tight and pulling, making walking difficult.  By Monday, it was almost impossible to put weight on that leg.  I was hobbling pretty badly.  And of course, my worry was growing.  I really don't want to have to go to a hospital right now.  Tuesday was still pretty bad, but yesterday seemed to be a bit better, and by last night, I felt like I was almost able to walk normally again.  Today, the tightness is still there behind the knee, but it's not terrible pain anymore.  I also seem to have a stiff and sore calf muscle, but again, not as bad as yesterday, and I'm able to put full weight on it now without feeling like it might give out.  It's still a big mystery to me, but I'm just glad it's getting better!
  • If this had happened after one of the few times lately that I'VE FALLEN THROUGH MY GARAGE FLOOR lately, I might understand.  Yes, you read that right.  I keep falling through my garage floor.  sigh.  Back in the spring, I had a groundhog burrowing into my garage.  He was eventually caught in a live trap and re-located, and his holes into my garage were filled, but apparently he left tunnels under the dirt floor unbeknownst to me.  Why am I falling through them now? Why has this taken months?  Have I suddenly put on weight?? I do not know.  But let's just say I'm stepping very gingerly in there these days!!
  • I so enjoyed my 3-day holiday weekend.  I feel like it was much-needed.  I did a quick house-cleaning on Friday when I got home so that I would be free to just enjoy the downtime.  I made homemade pizza and settled in to enjoy a weekend of crocheting, binging The Haunting of Bly Manor on Netflix, snacking, and resting.  I did make more pumpkin bread and I also made pumpkin fudge, whipped up a spinach dip because I'd been craving it, changed my bedding to my "winter" bedroom outfit... and just a lot of lounging, Netflixing, and enjoying.  It was wonderful!
  • As for Bly Manor - I made it through the whole thing, and I really enjoyed it!!  I didn't find this one quite as scary as Hill House, but that's okay in my books.  There were enough jump scares and gasps for my liking.  Without giving too much away, I find both series kind of tied up in a "happy ending" of sorts, which apparently pisses off true horror fans, but works quite nicely for me!  I very rarely get to truly "binge" a series, so getting through all 9 episodes in 3 days felt like a victory!!

  • The final season of Schitts Creek hit Netflix late last week too, and I've been dying to see it.  This TV show has been one of my greatest joys this year.  After hearing about it for years, I finally started watching it just before the pandemic hit, and those first five seasons brought me much-needed smiles and laughter during some very dark days.  I was so excited to see how the show wrapped up, plus it provided some light and fun viewing in between the creepy Bly Manor episodes.  I finished it up last night, and while I'm so sad that it is over, I am just so happy they went out on a high note and on their own terms.  I'm already looking forward to watching the whole thing again!

  • I finally - FINALLY - finished crocheting pumpkins this past Sunday.  DONE with pumpkins for another year!!  I was so happy to sell a bunch of sets this year, and I'm so grateful that people seemed to like them and want them!  But after a solid month of crocheting pumpkins, I was super pumped to be done with them. lol!  On to the next project! A while back, my friend Lindsay showed me a few photos of a cute little crocheted toque she wanted for her little girl (and my god-daughter) Lainey.  She asked if I thought I could make it, and I said sure!  I really had no idea if I could do it or not, but I found a pattern and it sounded simple enough.  I tried it out on Monday, and I was SO happy with the results!!  Even better, Lindsay - and Lainey! - like it  too. How cute is she?! :)

  • Yesterday, my nephew - the one who made me an auntie - turned 15.  How can this be?!  I remember the events of the day of his birth vividly.  I can recall his adorable little boy moments as if they happened yesterday.  I honestly cannot believe how fast the time flies... I was sad to be missing out on his birthday celebrations this year, but when I heard he requested shepherds pie for his birthday supper, then I didn't mind missing it so much. hahaha!!!  Not his auntie's favourite supper!! ;)

  • This coming weekend is, of course, another quiet one on deck.  I might try to get the grass cut one last time for the year.  And since Bly Manor occupied most of my viewing time last weekend, I do have a lot of scary movies still to get through with ample time to do so.  I'm working on crocheted Christmas gifts now, so I'll have lots of time for that, and I think I'll get a pot of spaghetti sauce finally made for the freezer.  Covid sucks but I do so enjoy these quiet, low-key weekends!
I hope you are all doing well and staying safe.  Take care folks! :)

2 comments:

Nicole said...

There are times I'm glad that our holidays fall in October, November, and December... but there are times after I learned that Canada celebrates Thanksgiving in October that I wish we did too because then I could put my tree up without getting a lot of crap from people. But guess what, I decorate for Christmas early anyway.

Part of the reason is that I make sure Tori is included in our tree decorating... and partially because I LOVE CHRISTMAS :). This year we're headed to my aunts for Thanksgiving, but last year we at Thanksgiving by my Christmas tree. lol.

CEEcrets said...

Thanks for this post. Now enjoy secrets at CEEcrets - the Secret Anonymous Social Media for secrets.