Wednesday, September 02, 2020

Another Rainy Day Randoms post...

  • Another dark and gloomy day.  Another day that would be perfect to be curled up and cozy at home.  Oddly enough, I had no trouble hopping out of bed this morning, despite the darkness and the gloom.  Go figure.
  • My impulse to start diving into my fall scary movie watching has hit very early this year.  Thoughts of what creepy stuff I'd be watching if I was at home today keep running through my mind... I see The Blair Witch Project has been added to Prime, and I haven't seen it since I was a teen.  I also keep thinking of The Exorcism of Emily Rose, since my brother and I talked about it not long ago (the scene where her boyfriend wakes up and finds her contorted on the floor is one of the most startling I've ever seen).  And yet, I don't want to get into it all too early and burn myself out.  I did that two years ago, so I have to be careful!

  • One thing that I DO want to watch, and it will probably freak me out beyond belief, is  The Haunting of Bly Manor, which is coming to Netflix in October.  It is the next "anthology" after The Haunting of Hill House, which I watched in 2018 and was one of the scariest things I've ever watched.  The bent-neck lady haunted me for a long time.  But I have a different game plan this year.  Last time, I spread out watching the show, no more than one episode a day and usually in daylight hours so I wouldn't over-dose on scary.  But in the long run, I think it just dragged it out and I suffered longer because of it.  This time I want to watch it all in one weekend (probably the weekend it comes out - a true binge!), rip the band-aid off all at once... get a bunch of fun snacks and hit the couch and scare the bejesus out of myself.  Doesn't that sound like fun?!

  • I know what you're thinking... this does not sound like it's fun for me at all.  So why do I keep doing it??  I have no frigging idea.  All I know is when the days start getting cooler and there's a hint of fall in the air, I automatically start thinking about scary movies.  It's like I'm programmed, or it's in my blood or something.  I have absolutely no clue.
  • My September mission is to get through The Office, which I am re-watching on Netflix, so that I am free to move on to the scary stuff come October.  I have 3 seasons to go, and I have been flying through it relatively quickly, so I don't think it will be a problem.  I can easily watch three or four episodes in one sitting!
  • So this coming weekend - the Labour Day long weekend - would normally be Shawville Fair, which of course has been cancelled due to Covid-19.  I anticipated feeling very blue going into this weekend, and yet strangely, I'm not feeling blue at all.  In fact, I'm kind of really looking forward to a weekend of nothing, just relaxing, maybe some house cleaning, crocheting, movies/tv, hanging with the fam... Doesn't sound too shabby, does it?
  • I AM hoping to talk my mom into coming with me to get McDonalds take out at some point this weekend... I've been dying for McD's for a while, and while I'm still not comfortable with eating in a restaurant, I was thinking the drive-thru is very doable... This won't be easy though because my mom hates McDonalds.  Wish me luck.

  • This week has been back-to-school for most students in our area, and for three of my nieces and nephews.  (Caden got pushed back to Sept. 8th for his start).  So I also anticipated feeling blue over that, my usual back-to-school icks.  And yet, I'm very confused, because I haven't felt the usual icks or end of summer blues that I normally get.  Like, at all.  Maybe because I'm just so glad to see something normal during these crazy days?  Maybe because I now celebrate the passage of time as I hope it brings us closer to a more "normal" life?  I don't know.  All I know is I don't have knots in my stomach this week, and that is new.
  • This morning brought the news that yet another of my favourite annual community events has fallen victim to the pandemic.  No Car Rally this year. :(  I kind of get it, because I couldn't figure out how we would all safely gather in one space to hear the answers and find out the winners, which is a big part of the day.  I really hope that by next year we have run through the worst of this and we can start having some of these beloved activities again.  I will miss Car Rally, almost more than Shawville Fair!
That's all she wrote for today, friends.  Happy Wednesday!! :)

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Man that McDonalds picture is getting to me!!! I'd love a little McDonald's Ducks!

Kerry-Lynn Campbell said...

I agree with Lindsay! Now I'm wanting McDonald's!

Nicole said...

All these things canceled... people change their plans. I'm worried that things won't happen next year after plans get changed this year... There are a lot of festivals around here that are canceled. Just wondering. While I'm done with 2020, I'm a little scared of what 2021 has in store honestly.

I had McD's twice this week. I can't even tell you the last time I ate there (sometime last year when working on our house)... and now twice in 1 week. haha.