Wednesday, April 03, 2019

Wednesday Medley: On Films (one of my fave subjects!)

I couldn't resist playing along with this week's Wednesday Medley.  The subject this week is film, and there's nothing I love more than going to the movies.  The movie theatre is one of my happy places!

The topic today was selected because it is National Film Score Day.

1. Let's talk about film scores/songs.  What is the first one you thought of when you saw today's subject?
OK, this is probably going to sound ridiculous, but the first one that comes to mind is the Michael Jackson song from the movie Free Willy. LOL!  It's not really a song I'd normally think of, but it recently came up as our cool-down song for Pound class, and as soon as I heard it start I thought, "Ahhhhh I LOVE this song!!"  (We watched Free Willy a lot when I was a kid, it was on of my favourite movies.)

2. Do you remember the first movie you saw on the big screen?  Would you tell us about it?
I sort of remember it... I believe it was Honey I Shrunk the Kids.  My parents, my aunt and uncle, my siblings, and my cousins all went together.  I don't remember much about it, other than going with my cousins to sit in the front row because that was the cool thing to do.  I didn't stay there long, because it hurt my neck. haha!  I vaguely remember being scared, especially of the giant ant scene.  And I do believe I fell asleep before it was over.  We didn't go to the theatre much when I was young, so the memories of it stick out.

3. Who is your favourite female movie star?  Who is your favourite male movie star?  Go ahead and list more than one if you must.
Currently, I'd have to say Emily Blunt is my fave female star.  In the past 12 months, I have seen both A Quiet Place and the new Mary Poppins - she stars in both - and I thought she turned in pretty wonderful performances.  Plus she's married to John Krasinski... lucky biotch!!
Very hard for me to pick a favourite male star, because I have so many, or have gone through so many phases.  Might as well start with John Krasinski. lol!  As a kid, I adored Tom Cruise (and still kind of do.)  My first teen celeb crush was Chris O'Donnell after watching Mad Love.  Others I'd rank on my fave list over the years include: Josh Hartnett, Ryan Reynolds, Ryan Gosling, Chris Pratt, Chris Pine, Matthew McConaughey, Channing Tatum, Josh Duhamel, James Marsden, and of course, Jimmy Fallon (if only for Fever Pitch!!) I could literally go on and on.  The boys make me drool.

4.  How about those old black & white movies!  Which one do you always stop and watch, even just a little, while channel surfing?
I honestly don't have a lot of black & white faves.  I've only seen a few that I can remember.  But there is something about Miracle on 34th Street in black & white and Christmas time.  It's A Wonderful Life, too.  When I think black & white movies, those two instantly come to mind!

5. Is there a movie quote that makes you laugh or one that you repeat often in life that you can share with us?  Will we know what movie it comes from without you telling us?
I don't really consciously think about movie quotes, but I know there are a few I use on occasion...
"Show me the money!!"
"For-ev-ERRRRR... For-ev-ERRRRR!"
"Nobody puts Baby in the corner."
"Houston, we have a problem."
Probably one of my favourite "movie quote" real-life moments was at Gavan's (I think maybe on St. Paddy's Day?) a few years ago and I was talking to my cousin about something, and whatever it was, she said, "Big mistake.  Big."  And a random guy walking by heard her, and added, "HUGE!!"  We both burst out laughing.

6. Please share something random about your week with us.
Remember last week when I was talking about the pep in my step and feeling so much better about myself?  Well... this week has knocked me back down a peg or two.  I mean, I'm still feeling much better physically, noticing less pain in my knees as I continue my 10K step challenge and I move more.  But there are still no noticeable results in weight loss, and that's kind of depressing.  I know it's my own fault - I might be moving more, and I'm not snacking in the evenings, but I'm still eating too much junk in general and eating out way too often.  I can't expect miracles when I'm not putting in more effort with the eating habits.  But I was disappointed when I tried on samples for new work shirts and found the XXL were almost snug.  Then I got an order of bathing suits from La Vie En Rose and NONE of them fit.  *sigh*  It just brings me down to think of all the weight I lost six years ago and how I just let it all come back on.
I keep telling myself that this Lenten quest was never about losing weight.  It was always about being more active, and the benefits for my health.  It was about feeling better physically.  And that has definitely improved.  I should just be thankful for that.  But I guess part of me thought that miracle might happen anyways.  Wishful thinking, Jill!!!

2 comments:

Annsterw said...

I am right there with you Jill! I struggle with the eating habits so much! I am getting active again but I am watching what I eat all day at work and then snacking nonstop at night when I get home! UGH! Annster's Domain

Rev. Nancy said...

It didn't go on overnight, and it won't come off overnight. You are making the right changes, so be proud of yourself. You can do it!