Tuesday, June 13, 2017

First Summery Weekend

Pictures would certainly enhance how wonderful this past weekend was, but... I don't have 'em uploaded yet.  I've been a photography slacker lately.  Still taking the pictures, but never seem to get around to uploading and editing.  Someday...

In any case, after what felt like months of rainy, dreary, cool weather, we finally got our first really summery weekend of the year, and it was fab!

Friday I hurried home after work to get my grass cut, before showering and getting ready for Book Club at Lindsay's.  We were discussing The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger, which was a book I had suggested and then regretted suggesting because I really didn't enjoy it that much, and struggled to get through it.  That said, it did inspire a pretty decent discussion.  However, it dawned on my that my critical thinking skills have suffered over the years, because there were points and themes discussed that I hadn't even noticed in the book.  As a Liberal Arts grad, I felt quite ashamed of myself.  But, whatever... Lindsay's snacks and Moscato punch were amazeballs.  That's what really matters, right?  ;)

On Saturday, I had made plans to head out on the Pontiac Artists Tour with friends Sharon and Lolly, so I was up bright and early to get ready for that.  Sharon picked me up at 9 AM, and we were off.  I was glad to finally be out doing the tour, since in the past I've only ever visited the Quyon studios.  We didn't make it around to all of the stops, but I was happy with the ones we did make it to.  What a great group of talented artists we have in our area.  If I had a little more coin to my name, I'd have been buying.  We stopped for lunch at the chipstand in Portage, and it was my first time eating there, and I LOVED it.  Food is always the highlight of any day for me... ;)

We were home mid-afternoon, and I had every intention of having a nap, but the weather was so beautiful, I decided to finally set up my deck furniture that was still stowed away in the garage.  Usually I have my deck set up in May, but this year, the weather hasn't been favourable for sitting outside up until now.  I washed the chairs and table down, and then sat out there for a bit to read and enjoy a Palm Bay.  I had forgetten how much I enjoy a good deck day!

I did manage to squeeze in a much-needed nap before it was time to get ready for a night out on the town with friends!  My mom and I had been invited to join the Mountainview table at the Quyon Lions 50th Anniversary Charter Night, and so I picked her up and we headed to the Bristol Community Center for the celebration.  I wasn't sure what to expect of the evening, but we enjoyed a nice dinner, wine, and a line-up of toasts, speeches, and presentations.  It was great to see so many out to support the Lions Club, as they are such a huge part of our community, and much of the work they do goes unnoticed.  We also had lots of laughs at our table, and it was just a really enjoyable evening.

Next on-tap for this busy weekend was the Sunday School picnic, so I was up early again to prepare my food and get ready for that!  Nothing better than going to "church" in a bathing suit. ;)  Lindsay, Ryan and Sam hosted the picnic once again this year, which meant a short service in their garage, followed by BBQ'd hotdogs and potluck lunch, and lots of fun in their pool.  It was so nice to get the first swim of the season in, and I always love sitting around with the girls, chatting by the pool.  It was so relaxed and...well... summery.

Again, I was going home mid-afternoon to nap, but it was so hot and gorgeous out that it seemed like a shame to waste it... so instead, I headed out to the deck again, with a goal of finishing the book I've been reading the past month.  I finished The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware (finally, yay!), while also catching some more rays and just enjoying the nice weather.  I went in for a quick nap, and was wakened by a phone call early evening from my mom to see if I wanted to go for ice cream.  I had kind of decided not to eat supper, after pigging out at the picnic earlier in the day, but ice cream for supper seemed like a good idea!  I think we sat down there for over an hour, just visiting with people who were also out doing the same thing.  It felt like our entire town was celebrating the first summery weekend of the year with ice cream, too!

I watched some more episodes of Prison Break that evening before heading to bed early... a beautiful summer weekend, well spent!

No comments: