Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge: It's May!

Today, I'm playing along with the Wednesday Hodgepodge questions... it's MAY!! :)

1. Can you tell I'm embracing a Cinco de Mayo theme here this week? Do you like Mexican food? What's your favorite dish? How about on the side-black beans, pinto beans, refried beans, rice? What about heat-mild, medium, hot? Will you celebrate with Mexican food and drink on May 5th aka Cinco de Mayo?

I loooove Mexican food.  Hard to pick a favourite.  I love fajitas and tacos and quesadillas and nachos and queso - pretty much anything like that!  Though I have to say, I'm not a big fan of the typical sides, as listed above.  When we eat out at Lonestar or other Tex-Mex type places, I usually ask for fries instead of the beans or rice.  When it comes to the level of heat, I go medium.  I like some heat, but I don't like to burn my face off.  And as for whether or not I'll celebrate, I am planning to whip up a queso dip to bring to work that day in honour of Cinco de Mayo.  At least we'll have a little taste of Mexico!!

2. Ever been to Mexico? For work or holiday? Love it or no? If you haven't been is this a place you'd like to visit? Can you speak Spanish?

No, I've never been to Mexico, though I'm not opposed to going!  I know many people who have vacationed there and loved it.  The only southern holiday I've taken was to Cuba, but I hope someday to visit Mexico.  I don't speak Spanish, beyond what Dora the Explorer teaches! haha!  Though I do remember a line from an old song by The Refreshments that I sometimes throw out there:  Donde esta el bano, par favor?  Apparently it's an extremely bad way of asking "where is the bathroom" lol.


3. What's one thing you may accomplish this month?

I think I *may* actually accomplish paying off my credit card.  Again.  Seriously, dudes, I don't know how it happens, but I can get myself into credit card debt faster than you can say "credit card".  *sigh*

4. If you were mayor of your village, city, or town, what's one thing you'd like to see changed, done away with, revamped, or accomplished? Is serving in public office something you've ever seriously considered?

I'm not touching this question with a ten foot pole.  Let's just say I don't have thick enough skin to put up with the craziness that is the political scene in my community!  I would never, ever seriously consider it.

5. What's something that may be popular, but that you just don't get?

Hmmm... that's a good question.  I had to ponder it for a few minutes, but I decided to go with Sushi.  There are a lot of people who love sushi, but it isn't something that floats my boat in the slightest.  I have tried it a few times, and can't say I've liked it even a little bit.  No matter what make shape or form it comes in.  I can't ever imagine craving it or dying to go out to eat it or trying to make it at home.  Blech.

6. Can't let this week slip by without mentioning Thursday May 4th is Star Wars Day. As in 'May the 4th be with you' ahem. Are you a fan of the Star Wars series? Exactly how much of a fan are you? On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being 'I've seen every film, own the action figures, might have dressed as Darth Vader for Halloween one year', and 1 being, 'what's a Vader?' -where do you land?

Truth:  I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies.  Though I do want to watch it some time just to educate myself.  I mean, it's such a huge pop culture phenomenon...what if I'm missing out on something?  Because I've never seen it, I'm not a fan, of course, but I do hear enough about it that I'm familiar with character names and the general storyline. And my sister was an ewolk one year for Halloween.  I'd rank myself a 3, because yes, I do know what a "Vader" is. ;)

7. Scroll back through your blog posts and in three sentences or less tell us the general theme of your fourth blog post. Does it still ring true today? Is it a topic you re-visit on your blog from time to time?

Wow.  I had to scroll way, way back, because I started this blog in 2006!  Craziness!!  My 4th post was about Grey's Anatomy, and I was complaining about how the show was all about "poor little Meredith Grey" and all her stupid problems. LOL  I do still love the show and watch it every week, but I must have got over my dislike for Meredith at some point, because I adore her character and admire the strength and resilience she represents.  I don't often write posts about the show anymore, but if something really grabbed me in an episode, I'm sure I'd still write about it today!  

I have to say my favourite part was the very first line of the post where I said I'd had a complaint from one of my blog readers (whose name rhymes with "tricky") because he thought my posts were too long.  11 years later, and I'm still as long-winded as ever.  And I think Ricky probably quit reading my blog a long time ago.  haha! ;)

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Well, usually I think of May as being a bright and springy month, but so far, it's been bleak and drear around here.  We've had so much rain over the past few weeks, and a lot more coming this weekend, so the biggest topic of discussion is the rising flood waters and how it hasn't been this bad since the '70's.  Our little village is situated along the banks of the Ottawa River, so lots of people are being affected by the rising waters.  Some roads are closed, some residents have been or will be evacuated from their homes... it's been quite a spring!  I'm lucky in that I've had some water in my unfinished basement, but nothing more than usual - I always have some water that seeps in during the spring - but I am starting to get concerned about my lawn.  With all the rain, my grass is growing like crazy, but it's never dry enough to even think of cutting it, and I don't think my lawn mower would even start for me if I tried.  I keep re-assuring myself that nobody has cut their grass yet, it's still too cold and wet, but I might have to hire a hay bailer to come and do it when the time comes!!





(photos stolen from Facebook, taken several weeks ago - water is higher now!)

1 comment:

ShannonJMc27 said...

I'm totally stealing this for my Friday post, haha!! Mmmm sushi!!