Thursday, January 14, 2016

Random Thursday Thoughts

My mind is kind of scattered all over today, so why not do a little random rambling?
  • Yesterday was not the greatest day of my life.  Not the worst either, so I guess there's that, but it was kinda sucky.  I got my first flat tire when I was driving to get the mail in town, and of course it happened on probably the coldest day of the year.  Thankfully, I was only a few minutes from both home and work (the beauty of only working 5 minutes from home lol) - so I had several rescue options.  I went  with my first choice of calling back to Mountainview to see if someone could come help me.  Within minutes, two of the guys who work out in the shop, Denis and Mitch, arrived on the scene, and had me fixed up before I knew it.  They didn't even let me get out of my car, told me to sit tight, keep it running and stay warm.  (which kind of made me nervous, because my car manual said to never stay in a car that's being jacked up... but all was OK. lol)  I made them these chocolate chip cookies as a little thank you gift.
  • For the record - while I waited on the guys, I read my manual and tried to figure out if I could change a tire by myself.  For the record:  No way, no how.  Not a chance in hell.
  • I also realized yesterday I had made a mistake in my weekly social notes in our local newspaper.  I hate when I accidentally screw up in my notes.  I took something someone had submitted to me and made a little change to it which I thought was cute, but ended up being a mistake.  Just wasn't thinking.  Felt like SUCH a bonehead.
  • Then, a friend of mine sent me a message to tell me she was reading my Resolutions blog post, and was giggling because I said I was going to "Netflix and Chill".  She told me to google it.  Sure enough - "Netflix and Chill" does not  mean what I thought it meant (which, of course, was watch Netflix and relax).  Again, felt like a bonehead.  An OLD bonehead who isn't up on the street talk anymore apparently.  And I was worried about how many people had read it and were giggling to themselves about it, but thought it was funnier just to not tell me and let me continue using the term "Netflix and Chill".  *sigh*
  • If you read yesterday's post, you would see where I declared at the end that the one pop culture biggie that I will never attempt is Star Wars.  And then my friend Sarah commented and said it was one of the best movies she'd ever seen in her life.  Up until now, the only people I'd heard raving about it were already Star Wars fans.  Sarah was not.  So I take that opinion a little more seriously, and I'm now thinking maybe I do need to see it.  She strongly suggests seeing it in 3D, so I guess if I am going to see it, I need to do so soon while it's still in theatres!
  • I'm reading our next Book Club book "Furiously Happy: A funny book about horrible things" by Jenny Lawson (The Bloggess) and I'm really enjoying it.  I love her rambly style of writing - all my life, I've been told by teachers and other writers that I ramble too much, so it's kind of cool to see that Jenny has made it an art form.  I love her sense of humour.  I love how she can take a very serious matter like mental illness and address it as a very serious matter and yet still poke fun at it, find the humour in it, tell funny stories, and laugh at herself (she had her own variety of serious mental health issues going on, so she's allowed).
  • I had PVR'd a movie called "10 Years" off the W Network a while back, and while I was down on the couch with a headache the other night, I decided to turn it on.  I had never heard of this 2012 release, but it starred names like Channing Tatum, Jenna Dewan-Tatum, Rosario Dawson, Justin Long, Chris Pratt, Kate Mara, Scott Porter, and so on, so I figured it was worth a watch.  It was about a 10-year high school reunion; all these friends get back together for one night of drinking & reminiscing, and while it wasn't anything wow-worthy, I really enjoyed it.  There was a moment in it that has become my new favourite romantic movie moment.  I recommend you see it if you are a bit of a chick-flick fan, or a bit of a "big romantic moment" fan, or even just a Channing Tatum fan will do. ;)
  • It's so nice to be on Winter hours right now.  I enjoy the slower pace of the winter so much - more free time, more time to do what I want, time to shop and watch movies and make puzzles and relax.  I'm doing groceries tomorrow and I'm excited to make soup sometime this weekend.  I think I'm going to try out this Stuffed Pepper Soup recipe I found on-line.  It sounds yummy & on the healthier side, bonus!
Hope you are all having a great week :)

4 comments:

Nicole said...

I didn't read the stuffed pepper soup recipe, but it sounds a lot like what my uncle's girlfriend makes based off the name. Don't worry I'm not up to date on street lingo either. I had to google that phrase as well. Must be we're old? I've never heard of 10 Years either. And now I should go study. I'd like to just pick up a book and read for fun... oh the days...

Nancy said...

OK, Jillian, you just educated your Minister, lol!!!

Stacy said...

I will have to google Netflix and Chill cuz I was on the same lines as you... not sure I want to know lol!
I have made stuffed pepper soup and also in a casserole form - yummy!

Anonymous said...

I didn't have a good day yesterday either and today's not much better. Here's hoping things improve!