Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Remembrance Day Randoms

  • Remembrance Day has always been a very meaningful day for me.  Even as a child, I knew it had to be marked with respect and poignancy.  I’ve always made sure to buy a poppy and wear it in the weeks leading up to November 11th.  I always take the time to pause for a moment of silence at 11 AM.  I hold deep gratitude for the veterans who fought for my freedom, and for the current military today who continue to protect it.  It’s a time to reflect, a time to show respect, and a time to say thank you.

Unknown soldier

  • With Remembrance Day falling only a few short weeks after our country was rocked by two cowardly acts of terrorism, with two members of our Canadian military killed on home soil, this Remembrance Day seems to be even more important to me.  Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent and Corporal Nathan Cirillo are in the forefront of my thoughts –as they will be with many Canadians today, I’m sure.

Cirillo-Vincent

  • Thanksgiving is over for us here in Canada, but many of my American pals are looking forward to it, and in that spirit, I have to say a very big THANK YOU to the people who are helping me get ready for the Christmas House Tour.  I knew there was work to be done to prepare, but what has been accomplished in the past two weeks around my house is more than I ever thought could be done in two weeks.  There have been many who have stepped up – loaning me decorations, loaning me furniture, helping me clean and get the rooms set up.  But the key to all of it has been my Mom.  I couldn’t have even come close to being ready without her.
  • The good news is this:  most of the big “projects” with respect to renovations and home improvements have now been completed, and that means it’s time for the fun part…DECORATING!!  I do believe the first tree will be going up tonight!
  • I have so many plans and ideas.  I just can’t wait to put them all in motion and see if they work as well as they do in my mind’s eye.
  • I’d be remiss if I didn’t give an update on how “Healthy November: Take 2” is going.  It pleases me to share that all’s going very well!  I was down 5 lbs after Week 1, which was a huge relief.  I know that was partly water weight, and it won’t continue to fall of so easily (not my first time at THIS rodeo) – but it feels good nonetheless.  I feel so much better, physically and emotionally, just knowing I’m back on a better path, making healthy choices and being mindful of what I eat.  I’ve always said if I could just get a few solid good days under my belt it would make the world of difference, and it certainly has.  Especially surviving the weekend without any major over-indulgences.  That was big for me!
  • It’s almost time to start watching CHRISTMAS MOVIES!!  I’ve added a few new ones to my collection this year, including Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas (is that a Halloween movie or a Christmas movie?  Not sure.  I haven’t seen it since I was a kid, and I’m excited to watch it again), as well as White Christmas.  I take great pride in my Christmas movie collection.

The_nightmare_before_christmas_poster

white christmas 

  • The good part about getting the house completely ready so early in November and being on the House Tour is that I’ll have allll of December to relax and watch those movies!  Oh, and I’ll have to bake.  And do my shopping.  And wrap presents.  Not to mention the holiday get-togethers and meals and events that will be coming. 
  • Nevermind…December won’t be as relaxing as I thought. ;)

1 comment:

Stacie said...

I'm excited to get E to watch some Christmas movies and specials this year!