Tuesday, June 04, 2013

On 50, and the 5 K.

Well, folks.  Here I am.

20 weeks after I started TurboFire

50 pounds lighter than I was 20 weeks ago. 

Actually, 53 pounds lighter.

Believe it, baby.

It’s been quite a trip.  Almost all highs.  A few lows.  And originally, I thought I would address those “lows” in this post, but you know what?  To hell with it.  Why put the negative in the spotlight when, overall, I’m feeling absolutely fabulous?  Dwelling on the comments of a very few in the past week or so now seems silly in retrospect.  I don’t want to give them their due.

I want to focus on the positive.

And you know what, guys? 

I feel amazing.  Healthier.  Happier.  Shinier.  More confident.

I’ve had a few friends and family members even tell me I’m glowing, and honestly… I FEEL like I’m glowing!!

945664_10152812351590554_1953375060_n

Here’s the really cool part:  Back when I started this gig, staring down the barrel of a 20-week intense cardio work-out schedule, at close to the heaviest weight I’ve ever been, I admit to feeling daunted and thinking, This is going to be really frigging hard.  Do you REALLY want to do this?  Are you SURE you aren’t just happy being fat?

And I’m here to tell you today that, while it’s been a lot of hard work, looking back now… you know, it really wasn’t that hard.

It takes a high level of commitment.  An unwavering mindset.  A dedication to doing whatever it takes to get there.

But looking back on it all, it actually doesn’t feel like it was all that difficult.  Dare I say…it almost feels like it was kind of easy? Once I got on the right track, everything became routine.  Sure, there were days when I dragged my ass through work-outs that seemed next-to-impossible. Days when I wondered, “Am I EVER going to be able to do those jumps and sumo burpees?”  Days when I felt like I would never see results.

Now, though, I can see the results, and this amazing feeling has made it all worthwhile.

The key pieces to the puzzle have been TurboFire, Shakeology, and support from my coach Jared, and my amazing family & friends.  I told you all about them (and a few of my other tips & tricks) back in my I LOST 30 LBS post.  I haven’t changed my strategy much since then, other than ramping up my intensity bit-by-bit.  I’ve continued to work out six days a week.  I have a Shake every day.  I still drink water like it’s my job.  I find myself staying accountable to my schedule, as well as my food and exercise diary.  I’ve steered clear of junk and booze as much as possible.  I still don’t eat after 7 PM. 

Why change what’s working, right?

To be honest, I thought the weight would be harder to lose after I hit that 30 lb. mark, but I’ve been shocked at how it’s continued to fall off – if anything, it seems to be dropping faster now.  Chalk that up to a high metabolism, I guess?  Whatever it is… I’ll take it!!

So, the 20-week TurboFire schedule has come to an end.  And now, what’s next?  After bragging (let’s face it, that’s what I’ve been doing. bragging.) last week about reaching my 50 lb. goal, that has been the most popular question from my friends. 

So?  What’s the next goal?  Where do you go from here?  Are you done now?

No, I’m definitely not “done” now.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned over almost 30 years of battling weight problems, it’s that this is something that is never “done”.  It’s always going to take work.  I can’t reach my goal and just quit, and go back to my old ways.  It just doesn’t work that way.

So what IS the next step?  The next goal?  I can tell you that it’s not so much centered on weight-loss specifically this time.  I mean, sure, I’d like to see if I could lose some more weight.  I’m still far from skinny.  Would another 20-25 lbs. be nice?  It would be a flippin’ dream.

But overall, I’m happy with my current weight and size.  And I’m okay with being here for a while.  I dropped fifty pounds fairly quickly, and I don’t think it will hurt to just stay here for a little while.  To just maintain this for a bit.

That being said, I know I’m more likely to succeed at maintaining if I have another goal in my cross-hairs.  So this time, rather than working towards a specific number on the scales, there are a few other things that I’m going for. 

I started this next phase by creating my own four-week schedule - still including TurboFire, but adding a few new elements - with several new goals in mind.  One being a flatter stomach.  Despite all the lost weight, I’m still carrying around quite a bit of flab in my mid-section.  I don’t remember when I last could’ve said I had a flat stomach.  Maybe Kindergarten?  Seriously.  I have ALWAYS had a muffin top of varying degrees.  So I have some big-time work to do on my abs.  I also want to work a little harder on building lean muscle and toning up.  I have wayyy too much  flappy skin  goin’ on here, folks.  I’m going to be spending more time with my resistance bands and weights.

But perhaps my biggest goal of all right now is training for a 5K.  I’m officially registered for the Army Run 5K on September 22nd (thanks to my friend Brenda for signing me up, even though I didn’t even realize it until  last night! haha!) – so now I kind of have to take this running thing seriously.

army-run_590

I started my Couch to 5K app last night.  And I survived.  In fact, it felt awesome.  I can’t describe the exhilaration I get from running.  Even just the 60-second spurts that Day 1 of the app had me doing last night were such a rush.  I was flying high when I finished last night.

Running a 5K was one of those “pie in the sky” long-term goals that I harboured in my heart when I first started this program 20 weeks ago.  I doubted I’d ever get there.  Now?  Now it feels entirely possible.

This place that I’m in right now?  It’s a wonderful place to be.  A place where I can actually consider running a 5K?  It’s a place that I have dreamed about.  A place that makes me feel so good inside.

I can’t wait to see where these next steps take me…

Thank you to everyone once again for your support – my blog friends, you have been awesome cheerleaders and I can’t tell you how much it means to me!  I love you all!!!

And now, because I’ve been asked for “Before & After Photos” – check these.  (And NO, Mom, don’t worry, they are not the underwear pictures!!!!)

Before

pre weight loss

64045_10152388496215554_601518961_n

After 30 lbs.

599274_10152684484520554_553918257_n

Jill

After 50 lbs.

50 pounds

golf 2013 10

Alrighty, gang… Let’s hit the ground RUNNING!!! :)

16 comments:

VandyJ said...

You look awesome--almost like you lost a whole person--well a small person. Can't get over how happy you look too!

Nicole said...

I'm sooooo mad. My internet is acting all screwy and won't show me any pictures in this post. gah! dumb internet. I'm so happy for you Jill. You're amazing! I'm running a 5K in 11 days and am scared out of my mind. Then I might run one again in September.... yikes!

Nicole said...

Ok finally I got the pcitures pulled up. OMG Jill, you looooook AMAZING!

Mrs. Match said...

You look fantastic!!! Good for you! I think having goals always makes things easier. I love having something to aspire to. You're motivating me. I can't wait to be cleared to work out again. It's going to be rough at first, but I know it'll feel sooo good!

Jo said...

You look amazing! You have every right to brag! I'm so happy for you!

And I think you totally have the right attitude with regards to the next step.

Wow Jill really I'm so impressed and happy for you!

Jo said...

You look amazing! You have every right to brag! I'm so happy for you!

And I think you totally have the right attitude with regards to the next step.

Wow Jill really I'm so impressed and happy for you!

Lindsay said...

I've said everyone where but here so, YOU ROCK!! YOU ARE AMAZING AND I AM SOOOO PROUD OF YOU!

xo

Sarah said...

Awesome Awesome Awesome!!!!! Over 50lbs!!! That's so crazy...crazy awesome!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Jilly!!! You look amazing!!! You're an inspiration - you should be SO proud of yourself and your accomplishments!! Don't let the haters get you down :P

Connie said...

All of your hard work as paid off! Great job Jill.

Beth W said...

I am so, so proud (and in awe) of you. Thank you for sharing the journey, and continuing to share it. If you can get down 50 lbs and a relatively flat tummy, I think I might just follow exactly in your footsteps. I have a bad habit of jumping in, and then whenever I get really sick (which happens a few times a year), quitting. That you were able to push through it until things became routine, and that it succeeded in toning you as well as helping you lose weight, is fantastic. And you DO glow in those pictures! You look happier, and healthier (and sexier)...and I can't wait to hear how the 5K goes!

LeeLu Creations said...

I've said it before and I will say it again: amazing! You look great and I can't believe how fast you lost 50 lbs. While I'm over here still thinking about trying to lose weight you have done it! You are glowing and you "sound" so much happier in your posts. Just take it one day at a time. So proud of you.

Steph said...

You look amazing! I'm so happy for you!

HickChickBritt said...

You just look so dang happy and cute!!Were you really just saying that you are enjoying running? Say whaaa? Wow I guess Turbofire must have some sort of hypnotism ingrained in the videos! haha Just kidding, you look awesome, can't wait to see you as a runner!

ashley said...

Jill, congratulations on losing 50lbs - that is amazing! You look so happy in the pictures as you should...you have done an amazing job. Good luck with the running...I just started running in January and I am addicted. I have to twist my own arm to actually do it, but the way it makes me feel after is worth it. The atmosphere at a race is something to experience and it will push you when you think you can't go any further (and the C25K app is awesome!). So excited for you and I'm loving your updates, keep them coming.

See you this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's awesome! I love to hear peoples' success stories.