Wednesday, February 20, 2013

WWTKW: Ah, the good ol’ days…

This week, We Want to Know Wednesday is all about the good ol’ high school days!

WWTKbutton-1-1_zps2077872a

Linking up with Scriptor & Kenzie for this trip down memory lane…

Here are this week’s questions:

1.) Describe what high school was like for you. Include details like where you went, your dedication to certain subjects, etc.

2.) On a typical Friday night in high school, what could you be found doing?

3.) Did you own a car in high school?

4.) Sum up your fashion sense in high school.

5.) Have you attended any high school reunions?

BONUS: If you have a photo and don’t mind showing us, feel free!

My answers:

1.) Describe what high school was like for you. Include details like where you went, your dedication to certain subjects, etc.

I went to Pontiac High from Grade 7 to Grade 11, and while I look back fondly on my high school years, it wasn’t always a walk in the park – I was far from one of the popular kids, that’s for sure.  I had a good group of friends, though, and I’m proud to say that we’re pretty much all still friends today!  The only classes I think I truly loved were English and Art, but I was a decent student, despite my tendency to be lazy and procrastinate.  I hated Math, and struggled with  it big-time, especially in Grade 10 and 11.  I had a good rapport with most of my teachers, though, and some of my favourite memories are of the silly mischief I got into in Mr. Deogun’s Chemistry and Physics classes.  He still calls me  “crazy monkey” when he sees me!

2.) On a typical Friday night in high school, what could you be found doing?

Oh, I was a pretty tame kid.  (Lame kid?)  I was either at home watching TV or movies with my family, or hanging out with my friends having sleepovers, watching scary movies and giggling and laughing.  We rarely got into any trouble, and I’d say compared to most other kids, we were extremely well-behaved!

3.) Did you own a car in high school?

HA!  No.  Lord, I didn’t even have my license!  My gang of friends weren’t too desperate to start driving, and most of us put it off as long as we possibly could.  I think I was 18 or 19 before I got my license, and another few years before I got my first car.

4.) Sum up your fashion sense in high school.

I had ZERO fashion sense.  Like… ZERO.  No joke.  I was a fat kid, and I didn’t know how to dress properly for my size.  If I wasn’t trying to squeeze into my sister’s way-too-small hand-me-downs, I was wearing boy clothes.  I bought men’s jeans all the time, because I could never find my size in women’s jeans.  And then, of course, the legs were too long and I refused to let my mom hem them.  I didn’t wear make-up, I didn’t know how to do my hair… I was a disaster, plain and simple.  I went for comfort – big and baggy, and when I look back on pictures from then, I literally cringe.

5.) Have you attended any high school reunions?

Nope.  Our ten-year reunion should have been in 2010, but I don’t think anyone organized one.  And truth be told – the people I was close friends with in high school, I still see on a regular basis, and many of the other people I knew in high school, I still see them a few times a year - it’s almost a guarantee to run into them at the Shawville Fair!  If anyone wants a reunion, that’s the time to get in on one.

BONUS: If you have a photo and don’t mind showing us, feel free!

Jill & Wade

OK – so this is a little after high school – I think it was the summer after my first year in college - but trust me, I probably hadn’t changed much.  Does this look like a girl who is meeting her hero & idol?  No.  I wore dumpy black jeans and a grey t-shirt to a sorta-fancy gala where I met  Ottawa Senators d-man Wade Redden, the biggest celeb crush of my life.  That was my standard hair-do – pulled back tight in a pony tail or bun, and not a speck of make-up on my face.  I shudder.

So what were your high school days like?  Go join the link-up and let us know!  Surely your high school experience has to be better than mine!!! ;)

8 comments:

Stacy said...

oh so fun looking back and us losers...cuz seriously, times have changed - but im glad we were "good kids"

Stacie said...

Does high school just go to grade 11 in Canada? And feel you on the car thing, I was in college before I got my license and car as well.

Anonymous said...

LOL I didn't wear make-up back then either and I was a fashion disaster! Thanks for linking up with us!

VandyJ said...

No make-up here--my mom was anti make-up so I really never learned how to wear it.
High school was something more to get through than to remember fondly for me.

Nicole said...

I can't believe none of you got your license. Boy that was a big thing here. Can you get it at 16 there??

Jillian said...

when I was in high school I went to a k-12 school and some of the gr.7's wore more makeup then I did when I was in gr.9 I went through a punk phase in gr.10 that I'm a tad embarrassed of (I even had a fauxhawk at one point). I still don't have my license and I'm twenty it just isn't a big deal

Anonymous said...

I didn't wear makeup in high school either - I never, and still haven't, figured out how to put makeup on haha!!
Thanks so much for linking up with us :D

Emmy said...

I had no sense of style either in high school in fact I try and think to even define what it was and I have no idea. I think with FB now too some of the appeal and intrigue of reunions is ruined as you already know what everyone is up to.