Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Two Helpings of Hotness on "The Tudors"

A few months back, I devoted one edition of the Blog to Jonathan Rhys Meyers, star of "The Tudors" TV series, which is based on the life of a young King Henry VIII.

I'm doing it again...Except this time, JRM is being joined by a friend.

I've really been enjoying "The Tudors" thus far, only 2 episodes into Season 2. I watched all of last season in the spring, thanks to Kristen loaning me her DVD set. Furthermore, I saw The Other Boleyn Girl in theatres, and I'm just about done the book. Coincidentally, "The Tudors" has centred on the Boleyn era in England, a controversial and dangerous time period when the king was turning his back on his faithful and obediant wife, Katherine of Aragon, in favour of the beautiful yet devious Anne Boleyn.

Clearly, I've been going through a Henry VIII phase, so "The Tudors" is right up my alley.

And yes, Jonathan Rhys Meyers is a big drawing card. He has the most gorgeous, piercing eyes, and when his lips turn to a smirk, it makes me think of Elvis and I get all giddy. (Come to think of it - pretty cool that the guy has played two kings in recent years, as he also played the King in the TV miniseries Elvis.)
However, I've discovered yet another reason to watch "The Tudors". And his name is Henry Cavill.
He plays Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk, and King Henry VIII's longtime friend who marries his sister, Princess Mary, against Henry's wishes, thus causing a rift between the two men. However, Henry couldn't stay mad long, and quickly forgave his dearest friend for going against his word and marrying his sister Mary.

The character of Charles Brandon has been a delight to discover. It's often hard to imagine what life must have been like back then, in the 1500's, but I think from the portrayal on the show and what I've read about him, Charles Brandon would have been considered one of the cool guys - smart, sexy, mischievious, a little promiscuous, the guy all the girls swoon after.
Having trouble picturing it with the frilly collar and such? Check out this picture of Henry, in modern street clothes.
Yummy, right? It gets better. Check out this one.
Excuse me while I wipe up my drool...
I really am quite intrigued by this period in history, and I find the reign of King Henry VIII quite fascinating. But it doesn't hurt that these two guys are...umm...providing "visual aids" to the story!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't seem to interest me those types of movies/shows - i hated history, maybe that's why!

Stacy

Jill said...

I think other people might be in the same boat as you, Stace...This is the deadest blog in awhile.

That's OK, though, at least I've been enjoying coming back to look at the pictures! Haha!

Anonymous said...

Habs...