Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Brian Melo Rocks My Socks

Good morning, kids!

A quick BB re-cap from Sunday night: Daniele did what pretty much the whole world wanted her to do by nominating Amber & Jameka. Now if I had my way, Amber would be sent packing so fast, she wouldn't even have time to shed another tear in the BB house. But I won't be upset if Jameka goes, either. The two of them are just too preachy and hypocritical and holier-than-thou. I mean, Amber seems to now think God speaks directly to her about such trivial things as BB strategy. Yes. She actually sat in the diary room after her nomination and said, "I'm not even worried about this, because God told me I'm going to win the Power of Veto and take myself off the block." Like God is some kind of super-power you can hold or something. Dick keeps pointing out to them that he thinks God probably has bigger things to concern Himself with than their positions in the BB house, but apparently they don't get that.

The only way I see Daniele bitching up this week is if she gets to exercise her ulterior motive, and that is to backdoor Jen. I understand why she wants Jen out - but I do think Jen deserves to be there ten times more than Amber or Jameka, who have floated through this game on the coattails of Dustin, Eric, and Jessica, among others. Jen has fought hard to stay in the house. She's been nominated many times, and she always manages to get herself off the block, either by winning PoV or getting the winner to use it on her. I hated her in the beginning, but I have come around on her a little, and if she goes ahead of those snivelling snot-heads Amber & Jameka, I think Daniele's second reign as HoH will be as unsuccessful as her first.

Now on to Canadian Idol. Last week, things felt mighty empty without Greg around, but this week, I was actually impressed with each and every contestant. They really stepped it up and showed that they all want to win this thing by singing songs by their very own idols. My favourite performance of the night was Brian Melo, doing Radioheads "Karma Police". Brian got a complete standing ovation from the judges, along with the rest of the audience, and the best was definitely saved for last as he closed out the show with a bang. He was intense, professional, and his voice was at it's raspy best...I loved it, it gave me chills.

Jaydee Bixby was able to win me back over after his horror show last week by performing one of my new favourite Elvis songs "I Can't Stop Loving You". Jaydee really is in his niche with Elvis - his voice is unbelievably powerful, and he didn't do any cutesy smiling or silly dancing this time. He just sang the crap out of it, and while I'm not sure Jaydee should win Canadian Idol, he could definitely have a career just doing what he did last night.

I was also extremely impressed last night with Carly Rae Jepsen's performance of "Chucky's in Love" By Ricki Lee Jones. I didn't know the song, but I absolutely loved it by the time Carly Rae was done. She pranced around, was cute and adorable as usual, and she sang really, really well. Zack keeps pointing out that she's the most identifiable out of the group, with her own sound and style, and for that, Carly Rae should be a serious choice for the CI crown.

Also of note last night was Matt Rapley, who I think somewhat achieved the same powerful performance as the time he did "Whipping Post". This week, he sang the Red Hot Chili Peppers version of his idol Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground". It was a song Matt could really sink his teeth into and he belted 'er pretty good. He finally followed the judges' advice and got gritty, and they highly approved of him doing the Chili Peppers rendition for that reason.

Dwight D'Eon went with his rocker roots and chose to do the Bon Jovi classic "Bed of Roses". This was definitely one of Dwight's better performances, as he really got to open up his pipes and let his voice soar. I thought he sounded great, and even Sass applauded him for being "in tune", which is a huge compliment to Dwight, as she has criticized his singing from Day 1. However, on this night, when everyone else brought their A-game as well, I'm not sure Dwight's performance was enough.

It'll be interesting to see who is in the Bottom 2 or 3 tonight, as they all were so good. All I know is Brian should be safe, but that means nothing. I think it'll be Carly Rae, Matt, or Dwight leaving, but not because any of them sucked. At this point in the game, every elimination will be painful.

No comments: