Thursday, July 19, 2007

How I Got to Third Base...

Last night was the first night I think I can honestly say I had fun playing ball!

Don't get me wrong - I love my team, and most nights, there are a lot of laughs and I enjoy hanging out at the ball field. But when it comes to the actually playing part, I generally think I suck, and I don't have a whole lot of self-esteem when it comes to my athletic capabalities (which, as you all may recall, I blame on my dad...because he cut me from the ball team when I was 10...but I won't get into all that again...)

Last weekend, though, I made it to first while playing for another team in the 3-pitch tourney in Quyon, and all of a sudden I realized, "Hey, I can do this!" I was just hoping that I could do so in regular league play so that I could savour the moment with my teammates, who would realize what a big feat I had just accomplished. (The group I was playing with on the weekend didn't seem to understand what a huge deal it was for me to be actually standing on a base...)

So last night, MVT was taking on the Geriatrics in the early game, and I can honestly say it was my happiest game ever! Ricky did have me batting last, which was a tiny blow to my ego, but I got over it quickly. Also, Woermke didn't shout at me this time for standing still & not trying in the outfield. Instead, he just quietly told me when to move, and where I should be standing - quiet instructions work much better with me, I appreciate that much more and I tend to listen a little better.

Now, here's the really amazing part: When I came up to bat in the second inning, I actually hit the ball pretty good down the third baseline. I have no idea what happened because I had my head down as I chugged along towards first, but I could tell by the excited whooping & cheering of my team on the bench that I was going to be safe. The really amazing part was that Wayne, who was running to second, was also safe!! It was a MIRACLE!!

Thanks to a good string of hits, I made it all the way around to third, and could've made it home if Ricky hadn't popped up for our third out. I can't recall the last time I stood on third base. Or second base for that matter. It's been years. I was glowing. Literally glowing.

OK, so I didn't do anything for the rest of the game, but we did eventually win (despite Mr. JN's homeruns for the Geriatrics...next game, we're not sharing our special bat with you!) - and I went home a happy kid. I love ball!

On the Canadian Idol front - Tuesday night, the Top 10 performed #1 hits, and stand-outs for me were Jaydee Bixby singing Conway Twitty's "It's Only Make Believe", Greg Neufeld doing the Killers' "All These Things That I Have Done", and Tara Oram performing "You Win My Love" by Shania Twain. All three were safe last night in the elimination show, with the bottom three consisting of Khalila Glanville, Carly Rae Jepsen, and Mila Miller. The judges didn't think Carly should've been there, but based on her Bee Gee's song choice from the night before, I wasn't surprised. Fortunately, Carly survived and will get a chance to make up for it next week. So did Khalila. Mila was sent home, and it wasn't a great shock. I'm surprised she even made the Top 10.

That's a wrap for today's Blog...have a good one, gang! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME Recap Jill! I am glad that you are pumped about ball again!

Are you going to the nuptuals of Tammy and Nick this weekend? If you are... would you be able to bring a card for me and Wayne. I threw out the envelop with their address ... so I can't send it... unless you have their address, eitherwould be a help.

Let me know

Anonymous said...

i made Jill's blog! yay me!

PS johnny has his own bat now...
(Ricky deserves a commision for the sale)

Jill said...

Hey guys!

Sharon, as I told you last night, I'm sorry for missing your message about taking the card to the wedding...I would have gladly taken it; however, I didn't check the Blog last week after I wrote it! Ack! Sorry!

And sorry I've been slacking again on the Blog this week, just no time, I have lots of ideas though - so stay tuned!!

PS - I hate ball again. Blech. But good luck with that new bat, Johnny.