Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Big Night for Me & TV

Well, I spent a lovely evening at the Quyon Ball Park, where Ricky's team defeated Graham's team but don't ask me any of the details because I had my back turned to the action for most of the night. Fortunately, Stacy and Sara weren't paying that much attention either, because if they had been, they might've gotten into a fight over which boyfriend has the better ball team. The night ended peacefully with players from both teams mingling ... Stacy's right, it's getting too cold for ball, anyways.

So then I went home to watch my shows. I'd been looking forward to Big Brother and Rockstar all day, and they didn't disappoint. Anyone who talks to me on a regular basis knows I tend to get a little wrapped up in my shows, so forgive me for rambling on about them for the next half hour. I've always been a bit of a rambler, and that's not going to change today! I'm going to start off with...

BIG BROTHER:ALL-STARS ~ I was so disappointed that it was Erika and Boogie in the finals, but it ended up being a rather entertaining finale nonetheless. I think my favourite moments of the season, which were highlighted many times last night, occurred with Will and Boogie, aka Chilltown, doing their telephone thing in the diary room. They might've been the bad guys in the house, but they were fun to watch, and they played an awesome game. When this show started, I didn't think the two of them had a hope in hell of making it past the first two weeks. But there they were, in the final four with their "showmances", Janelle and Erika. If had to pick, I would've like to see Janelle and Will standing as the final two, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. (I was glad to see Janelle was the recipient of the Fan Vote for the jury member most deserving of $25 Grand). In the end, Mike Boogie was the eventual winner of Big Brother:All-Stars, and while I didn't think he deserved to be an All-Star to begin with, he and Will definitely were the deviant masterminds behind the whole show, and I thought he was far more deserving of the big prize than Erika. I read somewhere recently that this show is the most tasteless one on television, because it showcases all the worst traits a human being can possess - manipulation, deviance, dishonesty, betrayal, hatred, and deceit. Maybe so, but I think it just makes for great TV, and at the end of the day, this All-Star cast knew they were all playing a game and that nothing was personal. I enjoyed every minute of it!!

And now on to...

ROCKSTAR:SUPERNOVA ~ This is by far and away my favourite show of the summer. I'll be sorry to see it end tonight. To kick off the show, they brought back Ryan Star, who was sent packing two weeks ago, to sing his original "Back of Your Car", and then they gave him a car. Don't know why the fans voted for him to return ahead of Storm Large - Ryan kind of grew on me over the weeks, but I was never his biggest fan. I would have much rather heard Storm's "Ladylike" again. A rumour on the Internet said Ryan had taken out several unlimited Verizon Wireless accounts and was paying people to vote for him so he could get back on International TV one last time to promote his new album. Gag me.

Anyhow, onto the real important stuff. I started watching the show half-way through last night and had to rewind my tape to catch the first two performers, so I'm going to review them in the order I saw them, because in my opinion, that was the order of worst to best.

DILANA - It's no secret, Dilana's the only one left that I would hate to see win this thing. I had pegged her as the frontrunner the first week I watched the show, and I loved her early on in the competition, but then the Dilanadrama began, and I haven't enjoyed her since. Last night, she sang "Roxanne" by the Police, and she did an alright version. Her best move, though, was getting the three guys to sing back up for her - they sounded AWESOME. Then she did her original "Supersoul", which I think supersucks. Jason, Gilby, and Tommy seem to love her, though. If she wins this thing, I'll feel like I wasted the whole summer.

MAGNI - I like this guy, I really do, but I don't think he has a chance in hell of winning. For one thing, Supernova doesn't seem to enjoy him all that much. I think the only reason he's even still here is because he has a voting contingency in Iceland that have kept him out of the bottom three for the past few weeks. He started off by covering "Hush" by Deep Purple, and it was probably the most energetic thing he's done all season - I thought it was great. Then he did his original - he couldn't remember the title, and neither can I - which I think is a really cool song that I can almost imagine listening to on the radio, but for two weeks in a row now he's been told it's not "catchy" enough. It's too bad, because if the guys in Supernova threw their support behind him, he might have enough momentum from the voting public to really bring to the band exactly what they need.

TOBY RAND - Toby's been the one who has won me over the most through the course of this whole show. I'll admit, after seeing him the first time, my tongue was hanging out - the dude is HOTT. Yes, hot with two t's. I've never seen such beautiful eyes in my life. And he's got this sweet Australian accent that could almost make you melt. However, Toby didn't really do it for me musically until a few weeks ago, when he emerged from the shadows while Dilana started her meltdown. That's when he stepped into the running as far as I was concerned. In last night's episode, he did "Karma Police" by Radiohead, and I thought he did a pretty good job of it. But it's when he sings "Throw It Away", his original with the catchy, memorable "Oh oh oh oh oh oh" sing-along part that I start to think he really should be the frontman for Supernova. He won the encore last week, and the song's been in my head ever since. The guy is a fan-pleaser. Girls will love him. They already do. Plus, did I mention he's HOTT??

LUKAS ROSSI - Alright, I'll admit it, I'm biased. As soon as I found out Lukas was Canadian, I began rooting for him before I even heard him sing. But over the summer, I've heard him sing A LOT, and I absolutely adore him. I really, really, really want him to win. A lot of Lukas fans on the Net (the Lukatics, the Rossi Posse...he's got many fan clubs) actually don't want him to take the title of Supernova Frontman, because they think the band's too cheesy and he's better than that. Maybe it's the competitive spirit in me, or maybe it's because I think he can truly give the band credibility, but I'd give anything to see Lukas win tonight. I almost shrieked out loud when I heard he was doing "Fix You" by Coldplay, the only song I can recall ever giving me goosebumps and the only song that ever could have made my buy a Coldplay CD. Luke did it justice - I thought he was amazing. Goosebumps all over again. Then, Lukas did the smartest thing he ever could have done - after hearing his original "Headspin" twice already (once in last week's performance show, and then he did it again as his Bottom 3 comeback song the following night), I was sort of wishing I could hear something different from him. But he had no choice but to play it again (Rockstar rules, I guess). To change it up, he stripped it down and played it acoustic, just him and his guitar, and the performance took my breath away. The guy is awesome, and I want him to win tonight so badly I can taste it.

All of this being said, I've never voted for anybody, so if my favourite doesn't win, I can only blame myself, I guess. I just can't believe the ride is almost over. God, the summer flew by fast.

Long enough for yas? Geez. I could write all day, but I better stop now! I somehow doubt anyone's read this far anyways. Have a good day, everyone!!

7 comments:

Stacy said...

Just wanted to give you a heads up Jill - Survivor starts tomorrow night! YEAH!! I have a pool at work but I can't remember now who I have, i know I have Candace but can't remember the other one. Should be interesting and I believe that Amazing Race starts the 17th, which is Sunday night. Anyways, going for lunch!

Anonymous said...

Hi, we do a Survivor pool at work too, but we haven't picked names yet. I usually watch it until my guy gets voted off, then I lose interest. I have a few comments on Rockstar, I know you like Lukas the best Jill, but I really didn't like his original song, and I don't think he's that great of a singer. Part of me does wish he will win though just because he's from Canada, even though it's Toronto. I think it will be between him and Dilana. But I do have to agree that Toby is hott (with 2 t's), and I liked his original the best. I was glad that he won the truck. I didn't like that the song selection was always songs from the same bands over and over, like they didn't even have any AC/DC songs. I think Dilana would do a great version of a Bon Scott song. One more thing - are Stacy and I going to be the only commentors???

Jill said...

Hey guys - thanks for the comments!
PK - I hope you're not the only commenters, but if you are, I'm happy to hear from you! I sent the email out to people who I thought might be interested, but who knows! As for Rockstar - I disagree with you about Lukas, I've been singing "Headspin" a lot to myself. But everyone has their favourites. :o) And I know what you mean about the song selection - but apparently it has to do with buying the rights to do the song, and some songs are just too expensive. (I read somewhere that Jason Newsted said if someone wanted to do "It's A Long Way to the Top" by AC/DC the show would have to pay $350,000 for the rights to the song). I guess some artists don't care, or are more interested in having their songs heard than in the money, so that's why it's always the same bands that get covered. (Bowie, the Killers, the Stones, Live, Radiohead...just to name a few). Apparently, Jon Bon Jovi revoked the rights for "Living on a Prayer" after Lukas did it - people are saying he was embarrased that Lukas did it better than him - so now no one can download Lukas' version off the Net. (I still like the original better anyways).

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Well I read your blog Jill, it keeps me entertained during the down times here at work. Which right now are few and far between. But I do agree that Lukas' rendition of Fix You by Cold Play was great. And I am with you on the goose bumps... every time I have EVER heard that song, for some reason, I get goose bumps. I have yet to buy the CD but that's because the Hobbs house has been on a spending freeze for a long time. That's all from me, keep the blogging coming!

Sharon

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jill said...

Hi Sharon! Welcome to the Blog! It was good to hear from you (and now Stacy and Priscilla won't feel lonely being the only Bloggers!) Just wanted to mention - I don't know if anyone noticed that there have been some deleted posts (maybe that only shows on my screen) - but here's the explanation for it: The first one was my own, for some reason it posted twice, so I deleted the duplicate. The second one was some kind of "junk post" inviting us to check out some site on how to make more money - so I deleted it. That's not what this is all about, so I hope the junk posters move along...you're not welcome here! I'm sure there's a way to regulate it, but I'm so new at this I haven't figured it all out yet...Anyways, that's all for now!