Wednesday, December 07, 2011

WWTKW: The Countdown to Christmas Continues…

One week into December, what ELSE do we have to talk about around here but Christmas?  It’s definitely the #1 topic on my list!  It seems only natural that this the direction the We Want to Know Wednesday questions have taken this week as well.

WWTKbutton

Go visit Crazymama and Queso to join in the fun while Mamarazzi is on break!

{1} What is your favorite cookie to eat?
{2} Have you ever done a cookie exchange?
{3} How are you doing on your holiday shopping?
{4} What is your holiday shopping style? (A little at a time, or power shopper? Early in the season or last minute? Online or part of the crowd?)
And a random seasonal 3 part question...
{5} Light displays...do you put them on your house? What is your style and your fave kind to see?

Here are my answers:

{1} What is your favorite cookie to eat?  My mom’s Christmas shortbread.  Last year she RUINED them by putting dried fruit in them (I like them only with cherries and slivered almonds) – I hope I emphasized how DISAPPOINTED I was so that she doesn’t make the same mistake again!!  (And yes…I’m well aware if I keep that up, there may be no Christmas baking at all for me this year…)

cranberry-orange-pecan-shortbread Couldn’t find a picture that looked like Mom’s, but these are similar – Mom’s have red & green pieces of cherry in them…

I also love Grandma’s sugar cookies with the icing and sprinkles on top.  It’s a good thing Grandma taught Mom how to make them just right.  It wouldn’t be Christmas without them!

sugar-cookies-xl

{2} Have you ever done a cookie exchange?   No, I haven’t but they sound like fun!

{3} How are you doing on your holiday shopping?  ALMOST DONE!  Phewf.  I still have a few little things to pick up, including a gift for our Friends Potluck Decoration Exchange, but I’m done all the big stuff, and the stocking stuffers.

{4} What is your holiday shopping style? (A little at a time, or power shopper? Early in the season or last minute? Online or part of the crowd?)  A little bit of everything…I do a bit here and there but usually have one big power shopping session in the midst (like I did last Saturday)…Not too early, but I like to be done by early December, for the most part…And I do a lot online if I can, but I usually need to hit some stores too.  I enjoy the hustle and bustle of the stores as long as I don’t have a long list and a time crunch.  I also love to go on Christmas Eve to Shawville, to the little stores there, to pick up a few last-minute odds and ends.  It’s usually really busy, but everyone’s so merry and cheerful!

And a random seasonal 3 part question...
{5} Light displays...do you put them on your house? What is your style and your fave kind to see? 
I WISH I had an awesome light display, but as you may recall, it’s not easy to get lights up around my place.  So I make do with what I can put up myself and what I can force my brother and brother-in-law to do.  This year, it’s pretty pathetic.  I’d LIKE to have lots of lights and colours, well done, straight…My dad always said if you can’t put them up right, don’t put them up at all.  He’d probably shoot me if he could see that big tree between my house and the church…and the gap of lights that are burnt out on my little tree.  The good news is that my snowman is still standing and lit.  Small victories.

IMG_4217_thumb[1]

7 comments:

Stacie said...

I hope your Mom gets it right this year. Did you remind her how damaging to your psyche the wrong cookies could be? Moms are suckers for that "scarred for life" stuff...

Impulsive Addict said...

Dried fruit in a cookie? Oh no! She DID mess up. I do like a good shortbread cookie. The girl scouts make one I think.

Emma and I will be making some sugar cookies this year. Please pray for me. I will need lots of patience.

I love your snowman! So cute!

Stacy said...

I made shortbread last weekend and i like them just plain - last year i shaved some chocolate into them and they were delish too!

I'm not a fan of sugar cookies...i can't even make them...i can't seem to roll them out - maybe i need a rolling pin and not my fondant one??

VandyJ said...

I like sugar cookies, but mine never look like that. Of course I have two little boys to help decorate them, so that might be it :)

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Fun answers! I haven't started my Christmas shopping yet, but today is the day...I think. Probably all online.

And I love cookies, especially if someone else makes them for me. :)

Chell said...

Sugar cookies can be awesome.... My mom decided to NOT bake last year... something about a broken leg and she couldn't stand. First year I had to bake my own Christmas cookies!!!

Crazymamaof6 said...

Those sugar cookies look delightful. I love them but neever bake them. And they never look amazing like those.

Merry people out shopping is always better than crowds of cranky people. Thanks for linking up!