I go to my parents’ place every morning for breakfast before going to work. (And for those of you who are thinking, “HER MOTHER MAKES HER BREAKFAST EVERY MORNING!?!?” – Reeeelax. It’s a friggin bowl of Special K) – and this morning, I showed up about 10 minutes earlier than my usual time.
She looked at me a little baffled. “Did you remember today is garbage day?”
“Yeah. I put it out.”
“Oh…well…you’re really early…”
“I know. It’s almost friggin Christmas, I can’t sleep.”
She burst out laughing and wondered aloud what she’s going to do with me, her giant, excited kid who still gets as wound up over Christmas as I did when I was five years old.
FOUR DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!
How about we celebrate with a little Festive Q&A, shall we? I’ve seen this on several of the blogs I follow, and I ripped it off directly from Jodie at Ramblings of a Fabulous Brunette. (Go visit her, she’s awesome!)
Here we go…
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper, unless it’s too awkward to be wrapped – then I go gift bag.
2. Real tree or Artificial? I’ve never done the real tree thing…I have an artificial hand-me-down from my mother!
3. When do you put up the tree? When we were kids, my mom used to make us wait until around my dad’s birthday, which is December 10th. But I love Christmas decorations, so I try to get mine up late November.
4. When do you take the tree down? Usually after New Year’s…January 2nd-3rd. I haaaate taking down the tree. Don’t even want to think about it!
5. Do you like eggnog? I seem to be in a minority, but…yeah, I really do. I love it. I was going to buy a carton of it last week because I love it so much, but I read the nutritional information first and put it back on the shelf. This diet can’t afford 8 g of fat per cup…It will be an eggnog-less Christmas this year!
6. Favorite gift received as a child? The year we got our first computer was pretty cool. And for some reason, the year I got my pink Puffalump stands out. I slept with that thing for years…
7. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes, but I’m still looking for the “perfect” one…I bought one from Avon a few years ago, it’s a white Christmas tree with three angels amongst the branches, and then Mary, Joseph, Baby Jesus and some animals at the foot of the tree. I also bought a very small one in Cuba last winter.
8. Hardest person to buy for? I struggle with good Christmas present ideas. Buying “couples presents” for my siblings and their significant others isn’t easy. (Especially when they give me ideas like “a two-man bicycle”.) Dad was especially hard this year, too.
9. Easiest person to buy for? Caden & Danica. He’s 6. She’s 3. They love toys, movies, clothes…the only problem is making sure none of the rest of the family buys them the same thing!!
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Definitely mail! I love getting fun mail, and I love sending out my cards!
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? I can’t really think of anything. When we were kids, one of our relatives used to give us presents, and I always ended up getting clothes that didn’t fit me. (But it’s the thought that counts! Plus, I was a large child…maybe it was a hint to lose some weight, even back then…?)
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Elf and Miracle on 34th Street.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I try to start in early November. This year, I did some on-line, then completed it in early December at the stores.
14. Ever recycled a Christmas present? Not that I can recall…
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Oh God…what DON’T I like to eat at Christmas? The snacks at Patti’s on Christmas Eve, especially the bacon-wrapped waterchestnuts. The Wifebeater and sticky buns Christmas morning. Turkey dinner. All of it. The cookies. Oh sweet Lord, I’m salivating…
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? I go with coloured on my tree. I like clear too, though, and I’m thinking of switching it up next year.
17. Favorite Christmas song? I love a lot of Christmas songs…especially “Blue Christmas” by Elvis Presley, “Merry Christmas Baby” by Bruce Springsteen, “O Holy Night” by Martina McBride…and of course, the Bieb’s “Mistletoe” and “Home This Christmas”.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Stay home. I complain about it, because once the rest of the fam has departed to go off to their other parties and I’m home with Mom & Dad, it’s kind of boring. I whine about how everyone else gets multiple turkeys, and I have to wait for mine til Boxing Day. Boo hoo, wah wah. But truthfully, I don’t mind laying low Christmas Day. I don’t even mind it when my mom makes me watch A Conversation with the Prime Minister! haha!
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Yep!!!
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? I have a white, sparkly star.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas morning. We never had one of those “open one gift on Christmas Eve” traditions. Always had to wait til the morning.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? I can’t think of anything. Other than the Scrooges. Just be friggin’ merry & bright, already! It’s Christmas!!!
23. Favorite ornament, theme, or color? I don’t really have a favourite ornament, theme, or color – I have a bit of everything at my place, and I love it all! I have a lot of snowmen, so I guess I could say they are a favourite of mine.
24. What do you want for Christmas this year? My own house, a Mustang convertible, Sens season tickets, and a husband. Not too much to ask. ;)