Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Tale of Grass-Cutting Woe

This is the second time I've written about cutting the grass this spring.

This is the second time I've cut the grass this spring.

This is how you know I have a life. When all I have to blog about is cutting the grass.

Too bad, so sad. That's just the way it is these days.

So, remember the last time I cut the grass? I had all kinds of technical difficulties, which forced me to cut the same grass over and over and over. Which caused people to think I was nuts for cutting the same grass over and over and over.

I hadn't cut the grass since then. We're talking eleven days. And the reason for not cutting the grass in eleven days?

Rain.

It's been raining mother-effin' cats and dogs around here for a bazillion days. And let me tell you, it's starting to take it's toll. I'm realizing this crank I'm in this week is effecting others as well, and we're all directly related to the craptastic weather.

F it all.

So yesterday, we had a slight reprieve from the rain, and rather than working out after work as per the plan, I rushed home to cut my lawn. Also known as my hay field. Rain does that to grass, did you know? I read somewhere that a positive spin to put on all this rain is to revel in the beauty of how everything green has just POPPED.

Yeah. Super-speedy-growing grass is exactly what we need. So that when it's not raining, we're all scrambling to cut it. Awesome.




This is not actually my grass. But it's a hay field that mine could compete with.

Anyways, my front yard wasn't so bad, but my back yard was a complete jungle. I cut grass that had to be at least a foot high in some spots. And had to go back over some spots because it didn't even look cut at all. And at times, the grass and build up of clippings was so much that when I drove over it, my lawn mower was literally chugging, on the verge of death. Oh, and did I mention I have a hill in my back hard that terrifies me when I'm cutting grass on a good day?

This resulted in me, riding back and forth on a dangerous slant, fearing my lawn mower might topple over, muttering encouragement under my breath. "Come on, now, you can do it. Don't die, lawn mower. I love you lawn mower. Pleeeeease don't die lawn mower!"

This was seriously a job for some kind of farm equipment. Something like a big tractor. A hay bailer. I'm not sure if that's the proper terminology, but you know what I mean.

Just as I finished, the skies opened and the rain came down again.

I'll probably have to cut it again tomorrow.

6 comments:

Kara said...

Hmmm - mine needs to be cut, too. I have a wonderful hill, too. Seeing your experienced - do you want to come cut it??

Jen said...

I hate grass cutting! And we never cut it often enough...maybe every 10 days. I cut mine last night too and could have brought over the bailer!!!

Nicole said...

hehe :).

Well we bought a new lawnmower (oh probably 2 months ago now) and we had it 1 week, my husband cut the yard. The next weekend, back at mowing the yard. He was on the mower less than 30 minutes and broke the darn thing. 2 weeks later after it was finally fixed you couldn't tell our hayfield from our yard (they butt up against each other) so I know your pain!!!

Stacy said...

We, as in Ricky, cut the grass last night too because our yard also was resembling a hay field...

Jill said...

Glad to know I'm not alone with my grass-cutting woes! To make it extra-special, my allergies have been ten times worse since last night, and it kind of looks like I'm stoned my eyes are so red and swollen. Awe-sooooome.

Laura said...

Sounds like the grass here! Grandpa keeps trying to mow but then it starts raining. When it's sunny he tries again, but then the rain falls. What a pain! by the way - love your 101 in 1001 list! We sound very similar. I'm working on my list now, too.