Thursday, August 09, 2007

That's A Wrap on the 3-Pitch Season!!

OK, so here's the promised second Blog of the day!

Last night was the final night of regular-season action in the Quyon 3-Pitch League, which saw my MVT team taking on the Pontiac Volunteer Fire Department squad in a game in which we needed to get at least one point in order to secure a second-place finish in the standings.

To begin, Sharon & I engaged in a lively (if not exactly "accurate") warm-up, which saw us primed and ready for the game. And I must say, we did deliver!! Sharon went 4-for-4 at the plate, while I had my best night at bat, going 3-for-4. I even got all the way around to third again, but my teammates over-estimated my speed, urging me to run home, only to have the bad guys throw me out. Duh. I'm slow as molasses in January. Did they really think I'd make it?

I then abused the ump, Bucky, for calling me out, even though I was definitely out. I mean, he's my cousin. Shouldn't he be showing some family love? I woulda called him safe if the roles were reversed...

Also, I'm not sure I've ever laughed so hard out in the field as I did last night. Everyone seemed to be in a great mood on the ol' MVT team last night (except for maybe me...Woermke kept telling me to smile, and I did feel a little grumpy, but it wasn't the ball game's fault. I was still fuming over Greg Neufeld being eliminated on CI). Anyways, there was a little bit of miscommunication on my side of the field, when Woermke & Chris both ran for a ball and both missed the catch. Ricky informed Woermke that he shoulda been diving for it, to which he just laughed, saying he'd like to see Ricky dive for a ball. Well, next time the ball was hit over Ricky's head - and over my head - and Chris ended up dropping it again - I turned back around, and here was Ricky doing a belly-flop onto the grass. While everyone burst out laughing, Ricky grinned at Woermke and said, "Now, don't ever say I'd never dive for a ball. Your turn."

We ended up tying the PVFD 12-12, earning that valuable point that cemented us in 2nd place in the league, and now we have playoffs coming up. I believe our opponent will be Team Pepsi...can't wait to get that series rollin'!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Deogun - "You're as slow as molasses in January" and remember the donkey at the smoking pad??? I think it was a donkey. Remember you used to write down his quotes in class? I hope you kept them. And he used to say we had 3 things for homework but was holding up 4 fingers... Ah, good times. I miss him. We see each other at the post office now and again and we say hi.

Jill said...

haha...I kept my Physics & Chemistry notes just for the Deogun quotes written on the backs of the pages. Wasn't it a Jupitarian Archer at the smoking pad? There was definitely something about a donkey though too...I even drew the same Jupitarian Archer as he did on the board. Remember the time I twisted pencil up in my hair and told him I couldn't find it? And he was like, "Jill, it is in your hair!!" - as if he'd discovered a treasure or something! I loved Mr. D...but he hates me now, he told my mom at the store I was a stupid, stupid girl because I quit university. He always asks her how the "crazy monkey" is. I guess I left a good impression on him, eh? hahaha...

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the Jupitarian Archer! I think he used the example more than once, maybe one time it was a donkey.

Anonymous said...

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Loved the ball blog Jill! We played SO WELL! Yet Ricky had to tell Woermke he was proud of him... what about us Ricky, what about us!

I am still Sharon No Last Name on the standings, hopefully I move up, I am tempted to stop off at the good ol' ball feild next wednesday just to see if I moved up... 7th place... pfft! I might as well not be on there at all.

Loved the double blog today Jill!

Jill said...

PK: You're right, I think both examples were used with Mr. D. I'll have to dig those notes out someday to look at 'em!

Sharon: Glad you liked the double Blog, it was just for you! We did play pretty well last night - especially you! Oh, and I know Amanda's not on the Blog, but shout out to her for 2 big catches in the last inning!! I like to see the girls stepping up & taking action! haha! And yea, Ricky did tell Woermke he was proud of him, but actually both of them told me I had a good game, so I won't rag on them today! hee hee...

Anonymous said...

Yeah I know those catches kept us in a tie game situation! GO AMANDA!