Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Healthy baked goods aren’t worth it. And other random stuff.

Ah, Tuesday!  Time for me to let the random drivel leak out…

  • Remember last week, when I said Pinterest was bad for me because it’s trying to make me fat?  Well, I’ve decided from here on out to only pin healthy recipes.  For the most part, anyways.  (I mean, I DID pin one for Better Than Sex Pumpkin Cake yesterday, but a girl’s gotta live a little, right?)
  • Anyone who follows me on Pinterest knows that I’ve been a little obsessed with anything pumpkin-related lately.  I’ve been a pumpkin pinning MACHINE.  I finally picked up a can of pumpkin at the store on Saturday, and last night tried to make Paleo-Friendly Pumpkin Brownies. Super easy, and only 5-ingredients: almond butter, honey, pumpkin, 1 egg, and baking soda.  Except, I subbed natural peanut butter for the almond butter, which apparently makes them non-Paleo-friendly, but that’s OK, because I’m also non-Paleo-friendly.  (The PB was $3.99 a jar, the almond butter was $8.99.  No can do, almond butter.  No can do.)   And the result was one of the most boring, bland concoctions I’ve ever created.   I was so sad.

pumpkin brownies (via)

  • It wasn’t the peanut butter’s fault.  I don’t think that was the problem at all.  They were just so blah.  There’s no way almond butter could’ve saved them.
  • Up next: the Better Than Sex Pumpkin Cake.  To hell with the healthy stuff, it’s a waste of ingredients!!!

pumpkin better than sex cake

  • Seriously, though… I know I’m starting to sound like a broken record on this, but I NEED to be better with the healthy eating.  I’m pretty good from Monday through Thursday, but come Friday, all bets are off.  If you don’t believe me, I’ll show you my butter-soaked jeans from this past Friday night at the movies.  Any ounces I lose during the week are just re-added on the weekends.  I’m maintaining, and that’s all I expect of myself right now – but I know it’s a dangerous line that I’ve been walking…
  • Speaking of Friday night at the movies… if you haven’t seen Lee Daniels’ The Butler yet… go!  Grab your mom and your sisters and your sister’s mother-in-law and her sister-in-law (like I did) and GO!  It was excellent.  I think we all gave it two thumbs up, and that’s saying something… My mom HATES going to the movies, and she told me if I could promise her a movie like that every Friday night, she’d go every time.

lee-daniels-the-butler03

  • The only bad part was the butter leaking out of my bag of popcorn and soaking my jeans. *sigh*  Probably a sign from above that I shouldn’t have had the popcorn in the first place… and definitely not with extra butter half-way…
  • You know what I love?  I love that my niece and nephew love “movie days” as much as I do.  Sunday after church, we went out for brunch, and Danica had a little meltdown because she ordered pancakes, but they gave her hotcakes.  The hotcake is just a smaller version of a pancake, and the establishment we were at didn’t have regular pancakes, but she didn’t understand all that.  All she knew was that these little hotcakes were NOT what she wanted, and they were very upsetting to her.  So she was having a meltdown and refusing to eat them, and no rationalizing or bribery was working, until I said, “Listen. If you eat your breakfast, when we get home we’ll go to the store and get some treats and pick out some movies and we’ll have a cozy movie day in Grandma’s basement.”  It took her all of 30 seconds to sit up and start eating.
  • The afternoon held such Disney Classics as Hercules and Sleeping Beauty,  as well as Cheesies, Pringles, and Big Foot Candy, and some solid Auntie time with Caden & Danica. :)  Not a bad way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon!

hercules

sleeping beauty

  • Ladies and gentlemen, the time is finally drawing near… I’m now only 5 days away from my first “official” 5K!  The Army Run 5K is on Sunday morning, and for the first time, thinking about it has me feeling a little nervous.  I’m not sure why, because I’ve been running a full 5K three times a week for over a month now, with my time gradually improving each week.  I mean, I know I can do it.  So why the butterflies suddenly today?  I hope it’s just a normal feeling to have leading up to my first run…

army-run_590

  • Dexter.  Season 3 ended last night.  I’m ready to start Season 4 tonight.  eeeeeeek!!!!!

Dexter_S4_DVD

  • And I’ve decided that once I’m done Dexter, I’ve GOT to get on the Breaking Bad bandwagon… I saw SO many tweets and FB statuses about it the other night, and I was jealous that I wasn’t in on it.  I need to get in the Breaking Bad know.

Well, I think that’s all she wrote for today, folks!  Happy Tuesday!!!

Linking up today for Random Tuesday with Stacy Uncorked!

randomtuesday

9 comments:

VandyJ said...

My downfall for healthy eating is snacking. The healthy stuff they say to snack on just doesn't satisfy my salty nibbly jones for a snack. It's even worse when I reading lots.

Emmy said...

You will do great in the race!! The crowd, the moment, it all helps build up your adrenaline and you will probably run the best you ever have.

I am such a bad snacker, it is so easy to do.

Nicole said...

Ok seriously good for you and good dessert. a can of pumpkin, a spiced cake mix and 1/4 cup water. Mix together and bake either as cupcakes or a cake as the directions say. NO JOKE! Just saying. And then light/fat free coolwhip for a topping :)

Cathy Kennedy said...

The weekends are my weakest point of the week, too. But, I'm trying to keep focused. I try to remind myself nothing tastes better than skinny feels to get me through the rough spots. Nice meeting on Random Tuesday Thoughts! Now following...

Anonymous said...

Mmmm pumpkin . I don't if it can be better than sex but a few weeks ago, when I was really tired, I tweeted that coffee definitely was. I may have to make that cake, just to see.

Leigh said...

Good luck on your run this weekend! I love when people are getting into running and I can't wait to hear all about it :) Breaking Bad is a great show!

Connie said...

So....YOU are the one that was pinning all of those pumpkin things!

I want to see The Butler but so does Keith so I guess I should find a babysitter.

HickChickBritt said...

What is Bigfoot candy? Another of those crazy Canadian things!? haha just kidding. I tried the pumpkin thing that Nicole suggested and I thought it was pretty boring too. I can not believe you run the whole 5K and have been for awhile! woohoo. You have come so far.

Angie said...

If I actually cooked 1/2 of what I pinned, I wouldn't be able to walk around!