Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Catching up on the TV & Musical Extravaganzas of Last Week

This might be a little passé, but there was too much good stuff on TV last week to not talk about it. Of course, I can't do a full-fledged analysis of all of it, because we all know I ramble and it could last forever. So you're getting the condensed version. Which still means this will probably be a super-long blog. My apologies in advance. Survivor I don't even remember who got voted out. Sarita maybe? Or was that two weeks ago? What I do remember is Phillip having a hissy fit over the fact that the girls saved the crispy rice for Rob, and that everyone worships at Rob's feet. Dude has developed a severe dislike for El Capitano. Which he better be careful about, since Rob's basically been the one dragging him along, and shielding him from the wrath of the rest of the tribe, because Rob likes having a distraction (aka, a loose cannon) around camp. They'd love to send Pink Panties packing. If he pisses Rob off, he'll be out in a heartbeat. And that might be good for the tribe, but bad for TV. Because like it or not, Phillip makes for good TV. In other news, Matt won again on Redemption Island. He's just rollin' through this. It would really suck for him if he lost the last one, wouldn't it? I'm hoping he gets back into the game because I've come to quite enjoy Matt and his long blonde hair. And Grant was sexy again. What else is new?

American Idol


Elton John night! Wooo! I love Elton John! So I literally spent the whole night saying, "He BETTER be doing Benny & the Jets!!"... "She BETTER be doing Benny & the Jets!!!!"... Threatening the TV all night long.


I missed a whole whack of contestants during the first hour because apparently Survivor & Idol decided to sync up and take the exact same commercial breaks. I remember that I liked James doing "Saturday Night's All Right for Fighting" and that Thia Megia was boring as hell with "Daniel". Lauren Alaina did a beautiful job of "Candle in the Wind" and Paul listened to me and brought back his guitar, which thoroughly enhances my enjoyment of his performances. Good job Pauly.


But they were all pissing me off because they weren't singing "Benny & the Jets". Haley finally stepped up. Last performer of the night, and when Ryan announced she was doing my Elton fave, it brought me back to that scene in 27 Dresses with Katherine Heigl and James Marsden dancing on the bar and belting it at the top of their lungs..."She's got electric boobs" - "BOOBS? What??" ...loooove James Marsden...


Haley rocked it and impressed the judges and me as well.


I didn't watch the results show, but I heard that Thia and Naima were voted off. Doesn't really bother me. Thia was far too dull, and now Naima can try out for "So You Think You Can Dance?" Everybody wins.


Grey's Anatomy: The Music Event


You either loved it or hated it. I happen to fall in the "love" camp.


The haters keep saying they want to keep Glee out of the favourite show. C'mon, people. This was not Glee. I love Glee, but this was not Glee. I get that it was a little weird to hear your favourite doctors singing while they operated and pandemonium broke out all around the hospital. I felt like that the first time I saw Rent.


But eventually you get used to it. Then you start to enjoy it. And suddenly you start to wish that you and your co-workers and family and friends all could break into song at any point during the day.


Wouldn't it be fun??


In any case, I did sort of understand the people who didn't think this was the appropriate episode to do the musical thing. Callie was in a very bad car accident and her life - and the baby's - was on the line. This was serious stuff. Perhaps the most intense event to happen at Seattle Grace Mercy Death since...well, since that gunman shot up the hospital last spring.


The singing kind of distracted from what was already an amazing, edge-of-your-seat episode. But, like with Rent, I got used to it. And began looking forward to the next song.


Here was my main problem: I read too many spoilers. It kind of ruined it for me. I knew that it was a Callie-centred episode. I knew that Callie was going to be in an accident and that her life and the baby's would be in jeopardy. I knew that Addison was going to return. I knew that Sara Ramirez (Callie), Chandra Wilson (Bailey) and Kevin McKidd (Hunt) were doing the bulk of the singing. I knew that they were going to sing "How to Save a Life" and "Chasing Cars" and "How we Operate" and "The Story". I knew that McDreamy wasn't going to sing one note.


But I did get a few nice surprises. Chyler Leigh (Lexie), for one, had an amazingly sweet voice. And I loved that they got Eric Dane (McSteamy) to sing, too. Hawt. Even Ellen Pompeo (Meredith) did a good job with her little bit of singing.


For me, though, it was all about the "Running on Sunshine" dream sequence. First of all, I love that song and had no idea it was going to be in the episode. Secondly, I love that Scott Foley is hanging around as Teddy's husband-but-not-really, Henry, and that he got to sing in it too. Thirdly, I love that Bailey and her sexy new love interest Eli got to dance in it.


But best of all? ALEX. That's right, they got Justin Chambers to sing. Eeeeeee!!! My face nearly split apart in a grin when he growled and started into his part. Highlight.of.my.night.


Iconic Grey's songs sung by some amazingly talented actors/singers in a dramatic, intense episode, and Alex. Singing. Seriously. What's not to love?


ACMA's


I didn't watch them, but heard enough about the collaboration of the night to look it up on Youtube.


I know. It wasn't so long ago that I was shooting laser beams of death out of my eyes at Carrie Underwood. And I still don't like her. Bitch took our Mikey away from us. We do not get over something like that, Carrie!


But we do like it when you let Steven Tyler join you on-stage for a Undo It/Walk This Way mash-up.


Steven Tyler makes everything better. Loved this.


Please note: This blog was supposed to contain videos of the "Running on Sunshine" performance and Steven Tyler & Mrs. Mike Fisher's performance, but Blogger is being an asshole and everytime I try to embed the code for the videos, it goes into failure and I have to start all over again. So I give up. All you get is pictures. Go watch 'em on Youtube.


I also have no clue what the F is up with the spacing in this post. I've tried to fix it a hundred and fifty times and it always goes back to the messed up way it is. I'm so sorry, nothing is going right with this post!!!!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I agree, loved, loved, LOVED, Steven Tyler and Carrie Underwood's performance - absolutely amazing. I can't stop watching it.

I was not a fan of Greys because it took away from what would have been an amazing episode, if I hadn't been distracted by Hunt's terribly awkward singing. BUT, have to agree, Justin Chambers did an amazing job at rocking the little bit of singing he did. Loved the growl at the beginning...he can make anything look good.

Jill said...

I keep going back to watch the Tyler/Underwood performance too, Ashley...And totally agree that Justin Chambers can make anything look good! I keep going back to watch him too! lol