Wednesday, October 30, 2013

WWTKW: Sweet memories…

I was going to write a blog post about all the things that are wrong in my life right now.  Like, how I have a sore throat.  (The first time I’ve been even a little bit sick in the past 10 months.)  And how my Turbo Fire DVDs have decided to all start skipping and not working at the same time.  And how frustrating it is when you get up at 5:30 AM only to find out your workout ain’t gonna happen because of it.  And how my house is STILL covered in drop sheets, and I’m starting to think the painting might NEVER be done.

And then I went into my mom’s this morning and lamented about all of this and she said, “Gosh, is your life ever not filled with drama?”

And I was all like, TELL ME ABOUT IT, MOTHER.

But it made me realize that maybe bitching and moaning about it all might be a little tiresome to others. ;)

So instead of my whiny post, how about we go with We Want to Know Wednesday?

WWTKbutton-1-1_zps2077872a

Linking up with Scriptor & Kenzie!  Here are this week’s questions and my answers:

1.) Do you have a good memory?  I like to think I have a pretty good memory.  I tend to have good recall of little trivia facts and pop culture references, and I can remember and repeat exactly how someone words a story to me usually.  However, when I DO forget something, it bothers me.  I remember once in College, I forgot about a compulsory meeting I was supposed to have with one of my profs.  Upon realizing it, I ran to his office (about two hours late), apologized profusely, and he granted me a second meeting the next day.  The next day I was sitting in the computer lab with one of my friends, chatting and killing time, when I suddenly remembered that I was late for the meeting AGAIN.  This time I was only about 10 minutes late, but I was seriously concerned for myself.  Now I always write down appointments and meetings on every calendar I can find, PLUS I usually tell my mom too. 

2.) Share a memory you have from when you were 10 or younger.  I guess it’s because Halloween is fast approaching, but I’ve been doing a lot of reminiscing about what it was like when we were kids.  I remember coming home from school (if it was on a week night), and being SO excited. (probably already hopped up on the candy they gave us at our class Halloween parties!)  Mom would make us eat supper – and even though it was always a “fun” supper, like pizza or macaroni, we were always in a rush to get through it so we could get dressed up and GO.  She always tried to stall us as long as possible, though, and insisted we weren’t allowed to leave until it was dark out.  Putting on the costume was always quite an ordeal, too, as we usually had to make sure it fit over a snowsuit!  (Gah!  Halloween in Canada!!)

snow_pumpkin2

Dad would take us on foot around the neighbourhood, and then he’d load us into the truck and take us to a few select houses – aunts and uncles.  (I always remember my Aunt Erna handing out big bags of candy filled with those chewy molasses candies which I think we used to call Halloween Kisses, and peanuts still in the shells…)  We didn’t live right in town, and he never took us down street, so I always thought I was missing out on going door-to-door with a pillow case like the town kids got to do. But I’ve realized now that the “country trick-or-treaters” like us were actually the lucky ones, because the doors we knocked on didn’t get knocked on often,  and because of that, they handed out way better treats! ;)

halloween

3.) Share a memory from between the ages of 10 and 20.  When I think of my teen years, I often reflect fondly on sleepovers with friends.  There are a lot of fun memories from those sleepovers!  One in particular that comes to mind is a sleepover at my friend Hollie’s.  There would have probably been 6 or 7 of us, all in our sleeping bags, watching the movie Urban Legend upstairs at her house.  I was probably about 15 years old.  Somewhere along the way, a bunch of us decided that the creepy janitor in the movie reminded us of our friend Erin’s dad, and we were whispering and giggling about it, and she got mad at us.  I think she and I actually ended up in a physical fight over it!  Imagine!! bahahahaha!!  (But anyone who knew Erin and I knows that we tended to bicker quite a bit – even though we were best of friends!)  It was at that sleepover that we started calling her “Jackie Chan” – and that nickname stuck for quite a while. ;)  (Sorry Erin!!!)

urban legend …but he still kinda looks like your dad!! ;)  (kidding, kidding!)

4.) Share a memory from recently that you won't forget for a long time.  I have to go with my 30th birthday, especially going out for dinner with my friends and then the “adventuring” we did afterwards.  Of course, at the time I had no idea they were using delay tactics because it was too early for them to take me to my surprise party at the bowling alley!  I still giggle when I think of all the stops we made – and how easily everyone went along with everything.  ESPECIALLY when Lindsay took a big detour to take Sharon to a different Tim Horton’s to use the bathroom, since she wouldn’t go to the one we were closest to “because their bathroom smells bad.”  And the house Stacy detoured us by to show us how it had burnt down.  And THEN she suddenly says, “Hey, why don’t we go bowling??” and everyone says “SURE” and I was just sitting there going, “What the hell??  Really??”  I still can’t believe I never clued in to what they were up to…

Jill 30 16

5.) Do you have any memories that you apparently remember differently than from what people tell you?  Meh, nothing specific, but yes, it happens.  One that I ALWAYS argue about is the time my siblings swore I was talking in my sleep about hamburgers and hot dogs, and I swear that they just made that up.  Of course, I can’t know for sure, since obviously I was asleep. ;) 

But I’m pretty sure they made it up!!!!!!!

Happy Wednesday, gang :)

8 comments:

VandyJ said...

Surprise parties do make for the coolest memories.
Making sure costumes fit over a snow suit is standard here. Not sure how I'm going to make sure Turbo is warm enough tomorrow. His mummy costume is not the fit over other clothes type.

Jen said...

Wow...he does look like Ian. Back country treats are the best for sure! Happy Halloween! Hope you get lots of trick-or-treaters!

Nicole said...

Ah such good memories. Yup I know the feeling about being the country kid trick or treater! But you're right, you get the better stuff that way. And I'm kind of jealous that they threw you the surprise party on your 30th. Mine kind of got brushed under the rug like another birthday.

Stacie said...

I have Barbra Streisand stuck in my head now..do you ever do that? Read a word and it makes you sing in your head? I love that when you are young, pizza and macaroni are fun dinners, I will have to remember to let E have those!

Anonymous said...

I remember a sleepover in 3rd grade and we watched one of those Chuckie movies; terrifying!!

Emmy said...

Yes can assume your siblings are teasing you :) That is so fun that you had a surprise party for your 30th, I have always wanted one but never had one.

Kenzie Smith said...

Sounds like you have better memory than I do :D I can't remember anything it seems.
That's crazy that you would have to put your Halloween costume on over a snow suit! Must have been so cold!
How fun about your surprise party! I love the delaying tactics :D
Happy Wednesday!

Anonymous said...

Yay for happy memories and not bitching and moaning! ;) Your birthday sounds like it was a lot of fun and I would've been just like you, totally clueless to what everyone was doing and outta' the blue, bowling??? What the hell is right! :)