It’s a grey, overcast Thursday morning here, and all I’ve got is some random to share today…
- It’s been 11 years since I finished college. I have no children of my own. So can someone please explain to me why the first day back to school still causes me to feel blue? Why seeing the kids waiting for their buses this morning makes my tummy hurt? Why I get tears in my eyes looking at all the “first day of school” pictures my friends are posting of their kids on Facebook? Why I feel so sad, even for the happy ones?
- It wasn’t so long ago that I posted about how normally this time of year leaves me feeling depressed and unsettled, but that this year I was actually looking forward to Fall and getting excited for it. Apparently all I needed was the first day back to school to get that old, blue feeling back again…
- I swear, if I ever have kids of my own, I’m going to have to homeschool them.
- OK – happy things, happy things… It’s FAIR TIME!! The good ol’ Shawville Fair is always a highlight on my calendar, and I’ll be getting my first taste of the 2013 edition tonight! Mom and I are going to head up there after work. She wants to take in the opening ceremonies, we’ll browse the exhibits and craft displays, and have some delicious fair food. So excited :)
- Ah, yes. Fair food. Were you all waiting for me to do the customary I’M NOT EATING FAIR FOOD THIS YEAR post? I mean, it would make sense since I’ve changed to my new healthy lifestyle, right? Nope. Not gonna happen. Not this year. I’ve learned that it’s all about balance. Depriving myself of the yummy treats at the fair might give me satisfaction in the end, but the struggle while I’m there isn’t worth it. The key is to be selective; picking one of two treats to have – like tonight, I’m hoping to have a slice or two of Billy T’s pizza – instead of five or six treats (fudge, Beavertails, poutine, ice cream), like I used to. And making sure the rest of my day allows for the treat. I’ve already figured out that if I have two slices of pizza tonight, I’ll still be under my daily calorie goal on MyFitnessPal. It’s do-able, I just need to be strategic about it!
- I have set myself a limitation, though, which is going to be important for me this weekend if I hope to survive the Fair without gaining 5 pounds: nothing deep-fried. It’s a toughie. The deep-fried goodness is a big feature of Fair delicacies. They deep fry everything these days. So I’ll be in line for the likes of pizza and 4-H burgers, instead of the deep fried Mars bars, pickles, and the Poutine Machine…this is my solemn vow.
- Another change for me this year? No ‘big white ride’ for this kid… That’s right, I said it. No beer tent. Or, at least, no drinks from the beer tent. I’m honestly not even sad about it – the crazy crowds, the long lines, people spilling beer on you, the terrible hangover the next morning… I’m skipping it this year. Sure, I’ll be around the tent – that’s where you meet up with people you only get to see once a year! – but I’m staying out of the craziness for the most part.
- There is one treat that this weekend will hold that I’m MOST looking forward to, even more than the Fair, and that is Stacy’s 30th birthday dinner at The Lonestar on Sunday evening! I think I said it once already this week, but… I can’t wait!
- I’m reading Room by Emma Donoghue – our next book club selection – and while it’s taken me a while to get into it, I feel like I might finally be reading something that’s going to take hold of me. It’s been a long time since I read a book that I just couldn’t put down. I have high hopes for it, and I’m also excited for the bundle of books I have coming to me from the Chapters Indigo website, which I ordered yesterday. I KNOW what you’re thinking … “so much for Jill and her no-frivolous-spending policy”. But I had gift cards to use! Swears!!
- I had the worst jog everrrr last night. As I headed out around 5:30 from my mom’s, she sing-songed, “It’s tooo hooot to be joooogging…” Yes. You win, Mom. I had to pep-talk my way through at least half of it, and I ended up cutting it 5 minutes short because I thought I was going to keel over. My head started to ache about half-way through, and by the end I almost felt light-headed. Won’t make that mistake again… But hey. I did it. Soooo looking forward to non-humid Fall jogging…
- I’m also looking forward to starting a new work-out program this fall/winter. Haven’t decided yet if I’ll start it before Christmas or after, but I’ve decided to try out Les Mills Combat. I think it’ll combine my love for TurboFire with how much I used to enjoy going to Karate. I’m really excited about it, and hoping it’ll take me to the next level with my fitness. Which is code for, “I hope it finally helps me get rid of my spare tire”. That damn thing is clinging on for dear life.
Hope you’re all having a great day, and that the back-to-school blues aren’t getting you down… *sniff*sniff*