Friday, November 23, 2007

I Guess This is the Slump

It's been so long since the Sens had a slump, I'd almost forgotten what it felt like.

But now I remember. It sucks.

A team that currently has a record of 16-4-1 is hardly worth cringing over. They're still widely-considered the elite squad of the NHL, despite the fact that they have just lost back-to-back games, the first time this has happened since December 2006, almost a full year ago.

Last night's loss was truly disappointing. It was an exciting, back-and-forth, action-packed affair with lots of scoring and numerous additional chances, but at the end of the day, the Sens blew two 2-goal leads over the Pittsburgh Penguins, and eventually lost in a shoot-out, 6-5.

Coming on the heels of a 4-2 loss to Buffalo the night before, we can now say we're on a losing skid. Add to the fact that the Sens have now lost 3 of their past 4 games, and you could say that they've completely gone in the crapper. Oh, and apparently Daniel Alfredsson, consistenly the best player for the Sens thus far this season, "tweaked" his groin at the end of last night's game. No word yet on how severe it is, or how long he might be out, but if he's out for even a couple of games, this could be disasterous.

OK, not gonna lie - I've kinda had a crappy week. I'm hoping it's just the doldrums before I hit the Christmas cheer. But perhaps my sucky mood is turning this little losing streak into something far worse than it actually is. Hopefully it's not as bad as I've already twisted it into. Maybe this is the worst string of games the lads will have all year. After all, ya can't win 'em all, right? These are the ups and downs of an NHL season, and there's still lots of hockey left to play. The Sens were bound to hit a downer eventually.

On a different note, I would like to mention that it would be nice for once to put up the $10.95 for these stupid Pay Per View games, as we did last night, and actually watch the whole thing without a technical glitch marring the purchase. It seemed last year that something went wrong in every game. Last night, between the second and third periods, after we went hunting with Mike Fisher, and were about to go grocery shopping with Gary Roberts and Mark Recchi, the picture froze, just as Roberts was leaning in to grab an organically-grown zuchinni from the produce shelf. So far the rest of the intermission, the screen was frozen at that one image, and as minutes passed by, I grew increasingly frustrated.

Just as the third period began, we returned to the action, but the feed had been changed from the Ottawa broadcast to the Pittsburgh one. To be honest, it was kind of nice to listen to someone other than Dean Brown for a while. Aside from the fact that they said the name "Ryan Malone" far too often, they were enjoyable to listen to. I was a little ticked when they switched back over to the Ottawa feed for the shoot-out.

So yeah, they lost, I was cranky, went downstairs to watch Survivor and Grey's, and then still had trouble falling asleep around midnight. That's how wound up I was over this silly little loss to the silly little Penguins.

Man, I spend too much time worrying about hockey!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jill, how can you worry about hockey when there is a BOMB on Coronation Street!!!! lol

Jill said...

Hahahaha!!

Luke told me to tell you guys nobody cares about Coronation Street. I told him if he posted more, I'd care about what he thinks, but since he doesn't, let the Coronation Street conversations roll on! lol...

Anonymous said...

Lots of us care about the street! At least we talk about something. Have you been watching The Next Great American Band?

Jill said...

To me, that's the best thing about this Coronation Street stuff...It's actually giving you guys something to chat about! I'm all for it! :)

No, I haven't been watching The Next Great American Band - how is it? Like Rockstar? Better? Worse?

Anonymous said...

Well they have all kinds of music. My favourite is the heavy metal band Light of Doom, all 12 year olds. They are AMAZING. Seriously, they are good. I watch it just for them. You should watch it tonight if you are home just to see them. I hope they don't get voted off!The country band and the bluegrass band are good too, and so are the Clark brothers. The rest aren't that great, well maybe they are good, but they're just not my style. Johnny Reznik or however you spell his name is one of the judges. Well I guess he's not a judge, just a commentator. They pick an artist each week, then each band has to do a version of one of their songs in their own style. The band that got the least votes doesn't get to perform on the next show. So my tv schedule tonight consists of Coronation Street and The Next Great American Band.

Anonymous said...

Hey PK and Jill,

Sorry, late on the blog today.

I didn't watch the game. I am sad they lost, but they will come back. They have to.

As for Coronation Street... I find it's a little slow. Apart from the Sunny and Shawn thing, which was a little gross but whatever. I will be watching the late show tonight after all my running around.

Anonymous said...

Jill,
Are you keeping Mrs. Nash company?

She doesn't like it when ole'Johnny is away. So do be a dear and stop in some time.

Cheers,
JN

Jill said...

Mrs. Nash hadn't informed me that Johnny was out of town already, but I'll be sure to pay her a visit! :)